Noob Ag Brew Day @ Chappo's (brisvegas)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the samplers you've left here have been bloody nice, I wish I could remember the one I had last week so I could attempt to brew it myself. It was a darker english style with 1275 yeast I think and perfectly balanced.

Would love to join you all but I've got plenty of work to complete tomorrow before I head to Melbourne (and Sydney!) next week. Not sure it'll fit in your car, but please attempt to bring the Shermanator home while Chappo isn't watching :icon_drunk:
Wow, thanks Daemon! That would be from a few months ago if it was 1275, June in fact. Aaron's Best Bitter, Dr Smurto's or Butters' Milds (may not be in the recipe db, I think it was in a thread) would be candidates, but I usually do something stupid and wreck them, I'll look it up. Most likely Butters' one now I think about it, a pretty simple recipe:
91% Golden Promise
6% Caraaroma
3% T1
68C for 60 (not sure why I mashed it warm)
22g (18IBU) Fuggles at 60
15g Stryian at 15 (a whole plug) and dry hop some too, (I just can't help myself!)
1.040 in 20litres, 1275 and just gelatine in primary

Will see if I can slip that wild machine in my pocket on the way out the door! :lol:

Hi Chappo,

Unfortunately something has come up today and I won't be able to make it to your brewday. :(

Will deffinetly try to make the next one,

Cheers,

--Chalky

Purfect Chalky! But you will need to catch the train. There is a train station no more that 1.5km away from me. I'll PM you my addy just get on the QR site to get a time table.

Chappo

Chappo, boys,... I'm bad. I played up in the Man-Cave a little too much last night after the Broncs win... Needless to say when I arose this morning SWMBO has grounded me and taken the car keys for good measure. She didn't lock the Man-Cave, so I'll indulge in a sort of cross city party spirit.

Hope the days goes great, and I'll make it one day!!!

Matt

Chappo, boys,... I'm bad. I played up in the Man-Cave a little too much last night after the Broncs win... Needless to say when I arose this morning SWMBO has grounded me and taken the car keys for good measure. She didn't lock the Man-Cave, so I'll indulge in a sort of cross city party spirit.

Hope the days goes great, and I'll make it one day!!!

Matt

:lol: you too!!!
Really not well today, maybe a IAPA will help :blink: .

I had a great time at the brewday today thanks Chappo! What a riot! And thanks to everyone else and your beers, it was great meeting you all.

For those asking about my mead recipes I have created a thread here explaining my processes.

Dave

All i can say is you guys missed out on a a really quality day. Thanks to Ross and the ACT contingent you seriously don't know how to brew :ph34r:

We actualy ended up with some teriiible (sp.) beers no thanks to Mossy. Ralph your stout was a stand out even though you boil your grains. :icon_vomit:

absolute ripper of a day! thanks once again chappo for hosting an awesome day, glad to meet everyone involved (though i'll surely forget all of your names until i get a few meets under my belt!).. very impressed with the shermanator, and learned massive amounts of invaluable information... :icon_cheers:

Sorry I missed it, hope you got a few brownie points back up. Even the cat wouldn't speak to me this morning/afternoon - how do underpants end up on the pool table? not mine BTW :blink:

Aye, am home safely so many thanks Chap Chap, Sully and all you guys for a great day out. At last I can actually finish a whole glass of beer! And I'd best have another just to be sure...
Tasted some cracking beers today, thanks you guys for sharing. BribieG the guys had to restrain themselves to leave me some SL! :chug:
Damn fine drop too, BTW, on the strength of that I'm going to move some of my hops to earlier in the boil.

Chap Chap, I realise now why the stout is almost indescribable, it was a 'disposal' effort in cleaning out dregs of spec grains, I just knocked it together really, check this lot out:
Barret Burston Ale 3.00 kg, Grain, Mashed
Roasted barley 0.15 kg, Grain, Mashed
British crystal 135-165L 0.12 kg, Grain, Mashed
Carafa I malt 0.12 kg, Grain, Mashed
Carafa III malt 0.12 kg, Grain, Mashed
British chocolate malt 0.08 kg, Grain, Mashed
Dextrose 0.40 kg, Sugar, Other

EKG 30.00 g, Pellet, 60 minutes
Bramling Cross 20.00 g, Pellet, 60 minutes
Bramling Cross 15.00 g, Pellet, 20 minutes
Mash at 67, ferment with 1768.
NaCl, 5.2, Citric and meta water additions.

Recipe Gravity: 1.058 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 40 IBU
Recipe Color: 37 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015 (Actual FG 1.014)
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.4%
No wonder it was complex... 1768 will crank the malt up though, I love the stuff, and without the dex to thin things out a bit it would've been OTT. I think though that the real key to nailing it is boiling grain in a pillowcase. :lol:

Thanks again, what a top day!

Edit: Now I remember where that half pack of Bramling got to, I was just looking for it the other day but had forgotten about this batch, so this is where it went!

cheers to chappo for hosting a top brewday :chug: , some fantasic beers were had and thanks for all the feedback guys.
and a big thanks to ralf for catering :icon_drool2: .

well i didn't get robbed coming down, but on the way back i nodded off for about 2 stops and some little prick stole me bag, they only got the wallet brew recipes and the flash brew book (*****!! :angry: ) ah well shit happens, at least i had the phone ipod and keys on me.

danm dude, i know we were joking about it but... harsh luck actually having it happen :blink:

Any pics?

drink_at_home.jpg

At least one of you had the common decency to pull his pants back up

It was great to catch up with everyone again and put some names to faces. I would have loved to try more brews going around but was still slightly inebriated from the night before and babysitting duties meant I had to remain slightly sober.

Its great to see so many brewers get together and share ideas and techniques. Thats what this hobby is about - not how many brews you have done or how many awards you have won to be classed as a "Serious Brewer", its the dedication you have in learning and sharing.

Chap Chap, onya for once again opening your brewery to newcomers into AGing and to the rest of us riff raff that just sit around and drink your beer and pick on your methods.

Ralph, that Tandoori Chicken was divine :icon_drool2: , thanks for bringing along. Please share that recipe again.

Sera, hope to catch up with you regarding your controller project. It sounds like it will be the pinnacle of brewtoys.

Davewaldo thanks for sharing the mead and posting the recipes. I might have to get into making a batch.

SR I hope you got in touch with Bradsbrew re those fridges. Your brewing will come along way once you get your temp under control. (Oh and apologies for squirting Liquid A$$ up your nose... wasn't intentional HONESTLY :ph34r:)

Cheers Guys

Sully

Geez, guess this didn't really even happen, I mean, no pictures???!?!?!????

:p

Ralph, that Tandoori Chicken was divine :icon_drool2: , thanks for bringing along. Please share that recipe again.
No sweat Sully, its my pleasure and I'm happy to share all of my recipes, but I seldom actually have them written down anywhere. So, that was a fairly standard number of mine, I've knocked up Tandoori paste from scratch heaps before, its not hard (and even better with fresh turmeric- its easy to grow too BTW). But I cheated this time and used Sharwoods paste as a base, about half a bottle, with a teaspoon of the really hot Bolsts one as well for the zing, heaps of greek yoghurt, turmeric, grated fresh ginger, lime zest and juice, lemon too and heaps of grated garlic (could you tell?!) and even a few kaffir lime leaves (I call them testicular limes, check them out!). I think that's everything, but also reserve the juice from cooking to drizzle over the rice when having as a main, its pretty intense and artery- hardening, but for me it is one of life's simple pleasures. Importantly, must marinate the meat for several hours, but overnight is far better and just a few slashes of the meat will help the marinade penetrate. I often throw some veg in and its a single dish + jasmine rice affair.
So, sort of K & B for cooking! I'll make the fresh tandoori paste next time from scratch (the AG equivalent!) and bring heaps more, maybe we could look at baking in the oven and then finishing some under a grill to get the crusty effect, although making the marinade thicker and spooning it back on while baking can approximate it, but I'm usually just too lazy to be bothered.
Just on the yoghurt too, I reckon the greek style is important, I've tried plain and it just doesn't quite cut it.

Righto, thanks again guys for the day, it is worth everyone's effort in spades that's for sure!

Yeah sorry guys no pictures. I'm still very dusty this morning and have to face cleaning the brewery up tonight when I get home. Sorry guys I was too busy enjoying the company of great brewers and their beers to take photo's. I have got to say the quality of the beers you guys brought was a highlight truly there wasn't a bad beer had all day.

Many thanks to Sully for getting stuck in and helping me with the day, I couldn't have done it without you mate. Cheers!

Gavo it was great to catch up again although I am sure by 7pm last night we were talking in braile. Canibal Smurf thanks for being the durry supplier. Sera your all grain bourbon was a stand out, thank you for sharing that with us. SR sorry to hear of your woes mate that has marred what was a great day as I like to think that everybody got home safely. Ralph thankyou for that beautiful chicken tandoori :icon_drool2: and your wonderful beers. Mossy as always mate it was great to catch up.

And a big thanks to all you guys for making it a great enjoyable day.

@ PP Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of you for phone beers you must have had you phone off or on divert or something? :(

@ PP Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of you for phone beers you must have had you phone off or on divert or something?

Is that something like phone sex? When can we do it? :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back