No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand the QLD thing...its bad enough only being 2hrs from the boarder from them :lol:

I'll probably be flamed for this but what's with session IPAs? Isn't an IPA (origins aside) fundamentally a stronger, more bitter pale ale? Thus what really separates the supposed session IPA from a pale ale? Then I read comments that "not really hoppy, bitter or strong enough to be called an IPA". Well no shit, might have something to do with the reduced hop and alcohol content putting it more in line with a pale ale.

TheWiggman said:
I'll probably be flamed for this but what's with session IPAs? Isn't an IPA (origins aside) fundamentally a stronger, more bitter pale ale? Thus what really separates the supposed session IPA from a pale ale? Then I read comments that "not really hoppy, bitter or strong enough to be called an IPA". Well no shit, might have something to do with the reduced hop and alcohol content putting it more in line with a pale ale.
You're not the first to be disappointed by this borrowing of terms.
Anytime IPA?
Wont be anytime soon again for me I'm afraid.

WP_20150905_001_zpsak9ldgfg.jpg

Speaking of which (dissecting styles) had a laugh overhearing a bloke at work talking about beers. He said he doesn't like XXXX Gold because it's not bitter enough for him. He prefers strong, bitter beers like VB.
Interesting how people will say they love Carlton Draught but can't handle VB. XXXX Summer is great, but Carlton Dry blurgh! But will then say "I don't like pale ales" as though everything in the 'ale' category all tastes the same.

Went to chin chin for lunch on Sunday an the brother in law decided to get a bottle of la sirene's praline.

A beer I've had maybe 5-6 times. Some guy from behind the bar came out to tell us how it is surely one of the best beers ever made. Then started banging on about how the beer is still fermenting?? Which is what makes it super special...

He didn't seem to know what it would match well with food wise or have any idea about the new limited imperial version. Happy to be educated beer wine food wise. But if you don't know your stuff, piss off.

Should have asked him if it would be to much trouble to decant the beer, remove the bottle to the kitchen and get a yeast starter rolling from the 'active' dregs.

Dave70 said:
You're not the first to be disappointed by this borrowing of terms.
Anytime IPA?
Wont be anytime soon again for me I'm afraid.

WP_20150905_001_zpsak9ldgfg.jpg
Wasn't overly impressed with that one either however I do like a "session ipa". As much as I love my fundamental beer styles I'm no purist and I like the premise of a mid-strength (generally lighter ABV than an APA) easy drinking beer with big hop aroma and a firm whack of bitterness which some would class as unbalanced. To be honest, the only memorable ones I've had are Founders All Day IPA and whatever the Pirate Life one is called. Sure, it's not a true style but it's a good marketing ploy that aptly describes the beer I'm expecting.

My wife comes in yesterday arvo and says "I found this in the garden", handing me my Thermapen.
Rage increasing.
There is clearly moisture inside the LCD after the bout of overnight rain. I swing the probe in and out and... nothing. Dead. Quickly I remove the battery cap and check the batteries. A few drops of water come out in the process. Rage increases further. After going passive-agressive at my 4 year old son who looked guilty as sin as soon as he saw the Thermapen, I got the hair drier onto it and tried to dry it out. Moisture was escaping from the rubbers and when I swung it, a few ml of water dripped out of the battery opening. In vain, I put the batteries back in and tried again and as suspected, zilch. I left it in the sun for a few hours and overnight until it was totally dry and same again - nothing.

I kind of broke down internally and accepted it. I'm building house at present and we have a lot of costs coming up apart from the house. Fences, letterbox, hoses, back deck, concreting, shelves etc. and so we don't have much cash spare. If the kid broke something necessary (like the toaster, microwave, window or somesuch) I could deal with it because it would have to be replaced. It would cost, yes, but I would buy a new one. There are a few things in my life though especially in the brewery that are luxuries. I don't need a $130 thermometer, but I got one for my birthday. It's brilliant. I use it every time I brew and ferment and it's handy for cooking as well. However if it's broken, life will go on without it and it's just something nice that I don't own any more. There isn't a good reason why, but it was something nice I have that keeps me happier and now I don't have it. It was a bit depressing but I'll get over it, and at the same time bloody frustrating because I've warned the said child not to touch my expensive Thermometer. Shit started to get real for him when I implied I might take some money out of his moneybox to buy a new one.

I thought about it a bit and figured it's all electrics, maybe the water shorted out the batteries. I took a gamble and bought some spare batteries ($9 wtf). Before putting them in I noticed the cover has a small notch on it that pushes a switch inside that must act as a kill switch. Holy crap, all this time I've been trying it with the cover off! I put the cover on and... nothing. One last chance, I swapped the batteries over and gently opened the probe.
POWER.
I fist pumped a little even though the display wouldn't read the bottom line. Oh well, not an issue especially if the temp's 71.1 or whatever. To test if it was still calibrated I took it outside to my keg fridge to cross-check it with the STC-1000 I'd calibrated off the Thermapen. The probe had fallen out of the cup in the fridge and the water had actually iced over at the top. Ooooh, lucky I checked. I broke the layer of ice off and measured the temp to be 0.1°C. Freakishly accurate.

So today has been a good day.

For some reason I read epi-pen and felt bad for both you and your son.
Then I read you describe a microwave as necessary and realised I shouldn't.

Just watching the worst example of parallel parking I've ever seen in my life. You could fit a bus in the space and yet it's taken two people over 5 minutes to fit a car not much bigger than a mini in it and they're still about 2ft away from the kerb. Amazing.

So the latest is to put the drinking age up to 21 same as the USA. Brilliant and bring the price of beer down to US Prices can't wait Ballast Point Bigeye less than $10.00 a 6 pack now you are talking.

Only curfews, prohibition and mandatory sentencing will halt the violence. What we need is more restrictions, rules and punishments.

Close the pubs, close the breweries, close the restaurants so we can all live a safe life and serve our government to our full potential.

No thanks.

Massive fines and or Gaol is needed. But first we need a solution for our clogged up gaol system. They're bricking in rooms anywhere and everywhere in our Grafton Gaol to fit more in, making 2 rooms outa 1, bricking onto the side of others and outside walls. Packin em in like sardines.

They could start by releasing all paedophiles into general population. That would free up a few hundred beds in a matter of days.

Back