No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're retired, every day is a good day. Haven't had a bad day since I walked out of work for the last time.

Purely for information only, I didn't work today, but I did play a round of golf.

Golf - an excellent way to ruin a good walk (Mark Twain).

On the weekend I headed to our local RSL with some family. Range on taps is limited.
I had a few Carlton Draughts, picking it apart and comparing it to my recent XXXX Bitter attempt. My beer lacked in hops due to old flowers being used and what I reckon is am impact from the acidulated malt. Discriminating between Aussie lagers is not something I'm proud of but it's all in the interests of bettering my skills at the craft (yes, that will do). Obvious notes are that CD actually has moderately bold PoR kneeing it's way through your palate, minimal aftertaste and reasonable mouthfeel. By no means a great beer, but on tap its amazing how easy it is to down one after the other. It's often noted on this here forum as "watery, flavourless animalsomethingorother". I thought to myself "pff, it has flavour, albeit dirt-like but that seems to be what the Vics love". Can't deny it has flavour.
After a few schooners I switched to a Carlton Dry to test this 'they all taste the same' concept. Well bugger me if the Dry didn't seem completely watered down and - absolutely - dry. Rubbish in comparison.

Now here I am, with an oatmeal stout, Sierra Nevada Pale ale and Coopers Pale clones on tap at home, turning my nose up at a Carlton Dry because I thought it was flavourless compared to the Carlton Draught. Months back on the other hand I recall being handed a Carlton Dry after an incredibly thirsty morning walking around managing 3 hypo kids in the heat. Sat down, sipped away at the Carlton Dry, and thought "geez... this is really hitting the spot". I remember being quite stunned at how refreshed I was, being the beer snob and all.

Taste buds are a funny thing.

Airgead said:
I love golf, but truer words have never been spoken. Jeez it's a frustrating sport

Airgead said:
Is that the NIV translation?

Decided to go green and buy a LED lamp for my most used light in the house. Trouble is the old incandescent bulbs have been in place over 12 years no point changing them until they blow. Anyway after finding out Lumens watts etc. went to Woolies to buy the globe knew exactly what I needed. Went with a Philips 7.5W the Mirabella ones looked a bit cheap then managed to come home with a bayonet mount when I was after a Screw type Doh Bugger.

Thinking why are higher powered bulbs more expensive ? Scam must cost the same to produce surely.

Had a little taste tester from the fermenter of my American Amber to see how it was going along and was hit by a huge sourness. Wasn't at all happy and walked off in a huff cursing wild yeast . Came back half an hour later for another test to see how bad it was and ponder. Grabbed my testing glass and the GF saw me and said "you should wash that first, I squeezed lemon juice into it to wash my hair this morning".

Cheering!!!

And what,pray tell are you doing allowing you GF into your brewing area ?
You have a lot of explaining to do !

In my pursuit of an ultimate Adrenalin rush I broke my collar bone, I thought this was the pinnacle of pain, a 10 on the pain scale.

I just spent a few days in hospital being given morphine every 30 minutes obviously not large doses, but I can't for the life of me understand why they can't administer a bit of 'Fleetwood Mac' for chronic cancer pain relief, its about time they had a look around and caught up with what other countries are doing.

Flying to the UK tonight. Going to the 5th test in a couple of weeks but going off the score that's notlooking great.

Will have to focus my attention to the soccer and the great British beer festival next week.

Nearly finished my single vessel rig for experimental batches. After drilling 1000s of holes lol. Just need another 2 bulkheads. Might get another pump to so it has its own pump seperate from the main brewery.

1439078273502.jpg

1439078296963.jpg

1439078316521.jpg

shaunous said:
Carn Wallabies!!!!
good win ( for a change)
After bagging nic white last year for blowing the game with a stupid box kick he somewhat redeemed himself last night. Going to be a big ask next week at eden park, all blacks aren't going to be happy with the lose. Besides a couple of very poor lineouts I thought the fowards set plays a big improvement over previous efforts.

You know you've got a goodun when at 6.10am, still in bed, you can roll over (after being awake for the past hour) and tell you're missus that you believe, or are hoping you've got rid of your recent spate of infections by giving a concise description of how you cleaned the gunk build up in your kettles ball valve......and she gets into the conversation by asking how, what did I use to clean it with, what did the infection taste like, was the taste in the fermenter or when you kegged it rather telling you to shut the **** up and go back to sleep!

Steve said:
You know you've got a goodun when at 6.10am, still in bed, you can roll over (after being awake for the past hour) and tell you're missus that you believe, or are hoping you've got rid of your recent spate of infections by giving a concise description of how you cleaned the gunk build up in your kettles ball valve......and she gets into the conversation by asking how, what did I use to clean it with, what did the infection taste like, was the taste in the fermenter or when you kegged it rather telling you to shut the **** up and go back to sleep!
Keeper.

Back