No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No hot water in the showers at work this morning...this efficiency dividend is getting out of control.

TheWiggman said:
Common theme there, I've only ever used 2042.
Got a pilsner with WLP800 on week 3 at the moment so I'll see how that goes. Ales from then on until the O2 makes an appearance.
At the risk of bringing the off topic thread further on topic.... If they are regularly finishing high, have you checked your mash temps? To me it sounds like you are mashing high and ending up with a less fermentable wort. Either that or the malt you are using produces a lot of unfermentables. Some of the pils malts designed for the megabreweries are designed that way... leaves them with some body when they use a bunch of sugar or other adjuncts.

People have been brewing lagers for decades with no fancy schmancy O2 kits. I'd be checking the basics first before lashing out on an expensive piece of kit.

Airgead said:
I'd be checking the basics first before lashing out on an expensive piece of kit.
Geez man what sort of comment is that? Are you not male?
Wiggers and his money are seldom parted so I certainly addressed other things before biting the bullet. I have no issues with ales. Managed to get a recent wheat down to 1.005 and the ESB before it to 1.008 which had a fair bit of crystal in it. The latter got a bit too low actually, but that was from a stuck mash which is another [addressed] matter.
The recent lager had 3.8kg pils, 200g light crystal and 350g sugar so should definitely attenuate low. Mashed at 63°C using HERMS, and I always 'cailbrate' each brew temp to a trusted thermometer.

The other elephant in the room is yeast which I'm sure the big breweries had copious amounts of, and probably had other skills to aerate apart from tip from the cube. Besides everything I've read about the O2 kit has been positive, nay 'essential' on the home brewing scene for truely decent lagers.

You shower at work Ken?

TheWiggman said:
Geez man what sort of comment is that? Are you not male?
Yes... but of the subspecies brewerus tightarsei.

I'm still using the basic 3 tier gravity fed system i built for under $100 about 15 years ago.No fancy schmancy anything kits for me.

This is all seemingly way to on topic so in the interests of steering back to where it should be...

TheWiggman said:
You shower at work Ken?
I shower at work it's awesome!

I eat breakfast at work. Toast and coffee, it's free.

And leaving home 15 mins earlier gives me extra time in the morning without being too rushed.

you guys are getting me all wound up about winding your temperature up too early when making lagers

TheWiggman said:
You shower at work Ken?
I do. I commute on my bike so in the interests of team harmony and keeping odour complaints to a minimum I use the facilities here.
Lucky it was a warm morning though, if it was mid-winter and the showers were cold team harmony could get stuffed.

We've got a tightarse work mate who showers and makes up his thermos of tea at work to, saves money heating water at home apparently.

I just enquired about this, and sadly he's been permanently banned. Will be raising a glass in his name tonight.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
No hot water in the showers at work this morning...this efficiency dividend is getting out of control.
Hot water back on this morning...let the good times roll!

TheWiggman said:
Common theme there, I've only ever used 2042.
Got a pilsner with WLP800 on week 3 at the moment so I'll see how that goes. Ales from then on until the O2 makes an appearance.
I find 2042 to be a great attenuator, and super smooth and crisp. Recently did a xxxx gold clone ( 2nd batch in the cube now ). Mashed long and low ( 62-90mins ) and it went from 1038 or so ( need to check ) down to 1.005. Crisp smooth and dry. I did a 4 litre starter, chilled down to 6, with the cube, then pitched and raised to 8-10. Broke my kneecap then waited 7 weeks and kegged. Crystal clear, smooth and crisp.

I don't have an O2 setup as yet.

Yes I recall that advice, sans taking out the patella. I stepped my yeast from 1l to 2.5l which I'm told was a bad move. Limited to 2.5l with my flask but will only be doing single increments with fresh yeast from now on. Exclusions are bottle harvesting and the like.

So breaking your patella is integral to a decent lager, in lieu of o2?
I've got prepatellar bursitis at the moment. Wonder if that will help?

Probably just a trend. First was no pants brewing, then Braumeister, BIAB, now broken appendages. It'll pass.

Has the no pants brewing trend passed? Why am I always the last to find out these things?

Latest posts

Back