No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how Professor Dawkins would feel about seeing a term he coined being franchised out in this manner.

A meme (pron.: /ˈmm/; meem)[1] is a term employed in certain theories of culture to refer to "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures.[3]
The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα Greek pronunciation: [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "imitated thing", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos "mime")[4] and it was coined by the British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)[1][5] as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, fashion and the technology of building arches.[6]

This Richard Dawkins? Pretty sure he just gave up any possible "high-road" he may have wanted to travel on that matter.

Come on dude... Science works bitches!

I have that on a shirt.

It has the COBE energy density vs frequency graph on the back. Very sweet.

That's basically my point. That xkcd comic is an internet meme and Dawkins used the phrase in grown-up conversation.

bum said:
This Richard Dawkins? Pretty sure he just gave up any possible "high-road" he may have wanted to travel on that matter.

He does indeed have the common touch.
Particularly when explaining self evident truth to folk who maintain the earth is 6000 years old and dinosaur bones were put there by god to test our faith.

Dave70 said:
He does indeed have the common touch.
Particularly when explaining self evident truth to folk who maintain the earth is 6000 years old and dinosaur bones were put there by god to test our faith.
Well, how else do you explain the dinosaur bones then?

goomboogo said:
Well, how else do you explain the dinosaur bones then?
The postulation that some omnipotent supernatural being placed bones in rocks as a theistic red herring is simply delusional.

Clearly they are the remains of dead aliens.

Dave70 said:
The postulation that some omnipotent supernatural being placed bones in rocks as a theistic red herring is simply delusional.

Clearly they are the remains of dead aliens.
Now I've got a vision of T-Rex trying to fly the Millenium Falcon. That's probably why they crashed on earth; couldn't use the controls properly with those stumpy little arms.

So I just started to fire up a lager yeast I intended to build up over the next week, forgetting that I'm now a fly in, fly out worker (in that I fly into/onto a smaller island off this island once a fortnight for 4 days a stretch) and will not be here to get the numbers up. I reckon I could get the starter on the plane.....The pilot lets you drink your own beers in the cabin after all......but unless it's settled out and could be racked off and put into one container it could be a struggle.......

jlm said:
So I just started to fire up a lager yeast I intended to build up over the next week, forgetting that I'm now a fly in, fly out worker (in that I fly into/onto a smaller island off this island once a fortnight for 4 days a stretch)
Fantasy island?

FantasyIslandWeb.jpg

I kinda hate brewing at this time of year. Do I have a proper stuck ferment or is it the bullshit weather changes?

WarmBeer said:
I love the Saturday morning 'View New Posts' review.
Yeah. Its generally the companion to my weekend breakfast.

Dave70 said:
Fantasy island?

FantasyIslandWeb.jpg
Nah, Flinders. More like this:
flinderssheep.jpg
Photo taken from car while slowly driving through some blokes flock he was driving up the road with his ute and some assistance from a geriatric blue heeler.

Thatcher is dead. Jimmy Savile had the last laugh I bet hahahahaha

thatcher.jpg

Yeah it should be tops. Check it- http://youami.com.au

Last time I saw Tim was with the Temperance Union. He had a football injury and wasn't fairing too well from the painkillers. Dodgy as set!

ergh.

I have 3 taps, but 4 kegs in the fridge, and use the middle tap to swap between the 3rd & 4th keg. Sometime I forget which keg is hooked up. Not usually a problem.

I also occasionally mix my beers, for instance the other day I poured 1/3 AIPA and topped up with a schwarz. Bloody delicious.

the AIPA is currently "tap sharing" with a chilli ginger beer, which as I just discovered, doesn't go particularly well with a schwarz. :(

Latest posts

Back