No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it that when I am cutting chillis, I always get a facial itch?

I suppose they are not dangerous enough for darwinism to take care of. Even if I was blind, I might procreate, probably less discerningly so.

I see nothing wrong with eating horse or roo or dog or any meat animal. Most people eat stuff they would baulk at buying in the offal section at Woolies but it gets sneaked onto them.
For example a few years ago I went on a Paleolithic diet which involved eating all parts of the animal. I bought a couple of beef hearts and didn't mind them in a casserole.
However I got such foul flatulence like I've never had in my life, and had to sleep in a spare room for a week.

Next year on holiday we stopped at a servo and I bought a Mrs Macs pie.

Had to sleep in the car for two days.

Figure.

What's all this stupid nonsense? I keep getting this when clicking a site on my favourites bar or opening a new tab (which is set to Google). Just happened twice in a row.
I've been using AVG for about 12 years no problems but thinking of wiping it and actually buying something half decent.

avg server not found.jpg

I don't much care for kidneys or liver but imagine you English types think it good tucker. Heart is reasonably good stuff, not so keen on tripe when it cools but warm is ok. Sheep brains and tongues and beef tongue are good stuff but haven't tried bits from other animals. Brains are difficult to get out of the skull without getting bone splittiners in them (the splinters get stuck in your teeth). Beef curly gut and milk gut were interesting on the BBQ.
I find horse meat a bit more intense than venison but of a similar nature.

If I won lotto I would go to Japan and eat whale. Actually if I won lotto I would travel around the world on a carnivorous tour of all thing meat that are legal to eat in that country.

I had a mate who bred guinea pigs to feed to his snakes and I suggested we eat a few guinea pigs (popular in the Andes I believe). Unfortunately we did not get around to it before we both moved to different towns.

Food is a wonderful adventure.

Malted said:
I had a mate who bred guinea pigs to feed to his snakes and I suggested we eat a few guinea pigs (popular in the Andes I believe). Unfortunately we did not get around to it before we both moved to different towns.
I must admit that'd prompt me to GTFO before you decided to wear my pretty, pretty skin too.

Beef liver with freshly roast onions and mash, is there anything better than that? Cold beef tongue on bread is a close second.

Bribie G said:
What's all this stupid nonsense? I keep getting this when clicking a site on my favourites bar or opening a new tab (which is set to Google). Just happened twice in a row.
I've been using AVG for about 12 years no problems but thinking of wiping it and actually buying something half decent.
You think you have problems Bribie, now I have Bitdefender on my pc, redtube does not work anymore. that makes Browndog a sad panda..

There will be a whitelist you can add that site to so it will be allowed.

Uh, unless the site is actually riddled with trojans and junk - then you don't want it anyway.

no doubt full of virii in the subject matter and the delivery.

Florian said:
Beef liver with freshly roast onions and mash, is there anything better than that? Cold beef tongue on bread is a close second.
Right on can only get it at Woolies. Coles only stock Lamb Fry which is crap and dissolves into mush if you braise it.
Can't beat Liver and Onions for a good cheap meal. I have seen heart but not sure how to prepare it.

Malted said:
I don't much care for kidneys or liver but imagine you English types think it good tucker. Heart is reasonably good stuff, not so keen on tripe when it cools but warm is ok. Sheep brains and tongues and beef tongue are good stuff but haven't tried bits from other animals. Brains are difficult to get out of the skull without getting bone splittiners in them (the splinters get stuck in your teeth). Beef curly gut and milk gut were interesting on the BBQ.
I find horse meat a bit more intense than venison but of a similar nature.

If I won lotto I would go to Japan and eat whale. Actually if I won lotto I would travel around the world on a carnivorous tour of all thing meat that are legal to eat in that country.

Food is a wonderful adventure.
I get slightly guilty eating smart seafood like eel and octopus, but I am willing to kill one because they are tasty. That is generally my policy: If I can look it in the eye and terminate its life in order to fill my belly, it is fair game.

ED: The reason I made this post was to say that every time I am at my Aunt's place I look at their fat rabbit and guinea pig and think that they are both perfect casserole/slow cooker dish size.

I am all over the lamb's fry and onion gravy (sometimes mushroom) with mash. I often skip the mash and do it on toast for breakky when the other half is not present.

Tropical_Brews said:
Right on can only get it at Woolies. Coles only stock Lamb Fry which is crap and dissolves into mush if you braise it.
Can't beat Liver and Onions for a good cheap meal. I have seen heart but not sure how to prepare it.
Is there a difference? Just because it has been portioned? I thought it was just a liver and in supermarket, sometimes chopped (badly) for you and to put into more attractive portion sizes than whole.

Smaller portions would certainly "turn to mush" faster during braising than whole organs. Maybe one shop has better suppliers than the other? Who knows?

It all tastes like piss anyway.

bum said:
I must admit that'd prompt me to GTFO before you decided to wear my pretty, pretty skin too.
Ha ha, I would speculate that since 'pretty' is a subjective term, we may have differing opinions

Bizier said:
That is generally my policy: If I can look it in the eye and terminate its life in order to fill my belly, it is fair game.
I once had a vegetarian colleague/neighbour who had the same thought process. She said you should have to terminate, at least once, each type of animal you wish to eat and if you can't then you should not be eating it. She was quite shocked by the range of species that I outlined I would be able to eat if I followed her philosophy. :D

Beef liver is dark red and a little bitter, lamb liver is pink and more tender. My favourite, when you can get it, is Veal liver which is pale and tender and not as dry or bitter as beef (Ox) liver.
Beef cheeks are making a comeback on the fine dining scene but I find them a bit slimy and gelatinous - made a beef cheek curry the other month and would have preferred just normal steak cubes.

Guinea pig looks delicious but they don't feck around when they serve it in Peru.

guinea pig.jpg

Kookaburras:
I'm thinking of editing a Wikipedia Page about the Kookaburra and thought I'd do a quick survey. Along with many other sites they insist on its alternative name being the Laughing Jackass.

I've been in Australia now since the mid 70s and the only time I ever heard of the K being referred to as the LJ is when I was working on a farm outside Bundaberg and some octogenarian farm hand referred to it as a LJ.
Do any of you guys ever refer to it as such, have friends or family members under the age of about 98 who still do so?

Strikes me as being in the same category as " Cripes cobber, see that cove over there wearing the bag, having one for the frog, strewth the blighter sounds like a flamin' laughing jackass" variety of dead or almost dead Australian usage.

Latest posts

Back