No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peas_and_corn said:
Actually, 40 years ago they would have used film, which is better quality than HD. The issue is the quality of the encode
I know they used film, it was a piss take, but regarding the quality...Really? I have no idea to be honest, mate. Apart from the ease of distribution and storage capabilities of digital media why aren't we using film anymore?

peas_and_corn said:
Actually, 40 years ago they would have used film, which is better quality than HD. Theissue is the quality of the encode
And 70mm at that. Yum.

jyo said:
I know they used film, it was a piss take, but regarding the quality...Really? I have no idea to be honest, mate. Apart from the ease of distribution and storage capabilities of digital media why aren't we using film anymore?
Many movies ("filums") still do.

But the difference is that the "quality" that p&c talks about is not the same as resolution. Some filmakers (Peter "I haven't made a good film since Braindead" Jackson) think more res = more awesome. Others like things to look nice.

The thing about HD is that it is a technical specification - those transmission you lament are technically HD even though you are right that the quality is generally fairly shitty. Often converted from already substandard U-matic sources (then blown up to 16:9).

Cheers, bum. I know very little about these kinds of happenings.

bum said:
Many movies ("filums") still do.

But the difference is that the "quality" that p&c talks about is not the same as resolution. Some filmakers (Peter "I haven't made a good film since Braindead" Jackson) think more res = more awesome. Others like things to look nice.

The thing about HD is that it is a technical specification - those transmission you lament are technically HD even though you are right that the quality is generally fairly shitty. Often converted from already substandard U-matic sources (then blown up to 16:9).

Remember when internet speeds were slow and lots of MP3s sounded like shit?

They were still MP3s. Same-same.

Glad I worked out how to search for my posts. This has become a next-morning ritual for me as I know I was on the forum, but fucked if I can remember anything about it or how I got to bed.

Good day yesterday with some of the BAR Crew and assorted hangers-on. We started at Rebellion Brewery (who brew mostly gluten-free beers) and had a good chat to one of the brewers, and then made our way up to the Mallow to assess the current range of craft beers on tap and a good meal.

While it doesn't compare to the same sort of thing in 'the big smoke', it is a genuine pleasure to be able to do something like that in Ballarat with some good mates.

Lecterfan said:
Glad I worked out how to search for my posts. This has become a next-morning ritual for me as I know I was on the forum, but fucked if I can remember anything about it or how I got to bed.
Now you just have to work out how to check everything you said on Chat the night before. I'm glad there isn't a record as I'd rather not know what I said sometimes.

Some old TV series were shot on film - Seinfeld was for example. To prepare the image for the old 4:3 screens they applied a "matte" down each side of the picture so there is a strip of lost picture on both sides.
With the now almost universal 16:9 they are doing new high def transfers from the original un-matted film.
When 9 had a HD version I watched a few and they were super.

Seinfeld is still shown in widescreen but of course transmitted in 576i but still not too bad. Would be interested to know if MASH was also filmed and if they ever intend to do a de matt of that series.

Lecterfan said:
Good day yesterday with some of the BAR Crew and assorted hangers-on. We started at Rebellion Brewery (who brew mostly gluten-free beers) and had a good chat to one of the brewers, and then made our way up to the Mallow to assess the current range of craft beers on tap and a good meal.
While it doesn't compare to the same sort of thing in 'the big smoke', it is a genuine pleasure to be able to do something like that in Ballarat with some good mates.
Twas a good afternoon, hope Colonel didn't fall asleep on the train and end up in Melbourne.
I'll piss myself if he did though.

peas_and_corn said:
I'm just wondering when the digital media will release a qfhd media storage format
I suppose they will do that when devices are available to watch the content on. History shows us that the media producers won't release movies etc on new media until they feel that there is a critical mass of adopters who will buy it, and the adopters won't buy the devices until the new media is available from the producers. The slow uptake of Blu-ray is a perfect example of this. How many years now, and DVD still reigns in most stores / rental places.
endeth lesson. :p

Edit: maybe we should discuss this on DTV forum, I'm BribieG there believe it or not haha.

Daaaaang. Brewed for the 1st time since Novemberish........I'm sure I bought that smack pack for this particular beer much earlier than the marchlastyear manufacture date would suggest.....

jlm said:
Daaaaang. Brewed for the 1st time since Novemberish........I'm sure I bought that smack pack for this particular beer much earlier than the marchlastyear manufacture date would suggest.....
And Sheeeeett. I've never known 3787 to take 10 hrs to fire up in a starter.........I might start a thread asking if I should be worried.

Some arsehole cat just sprayed in through the security door at my poor little Biscuit (our cat). The entire house ******* REEKS now.

I dare say she's mightily impressed with this virile specimen! Heart all a-flutter and shit.

south-park-kenny1.jpg

http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_713511/tun-bitter-30-block?CAWELAID=1384617259

"TUN Bitter has arrived and is the answer to all your lager dreams! TUN Bitter is a clean, easy drinking, uncomplicated lager, with a light mild malty tone through the mid palate finishing with a hint of bitterness for balance. If you've been buying the same 30 Block for years, it's time to experience a whole new world of freshness with TUN Bitter"

I was actually searching for Bitter! a book by Ronald Pattinson but this came up in the google results. Felt it appropriate to share, this gentlemen is the holy grail.

Make sure you check out the customer reviews, the wisdom of ages resides within.

GuyQLD said:
http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_713511/tun-bitter-30-block?CAWELAID=1384617259

"TUN Bitter has arrived and is the answer to all your lager dreams! TUN Bitter is a clean, easy drinking, uncomplicated lager, with a light mild malty tone through the mid palate finishing with a hint of bitterness for balance. If you've been buying the same 30 Block for years, it's time to experience a whole new world of freshness with TUN Bitter"

I was actually searching for Bitter! a book by Ronald Pattinson but this came up in the google results. Felt it appropriate to share, this gentlemen is the holy grail.

Make sure you check out the customer reviews, the wisdom of ages resides within.
Let me guess, it's Kiwi, right?

"Eh, thus beer us tun out of tun, bro!"

Latest posts

Back