No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmph! Turns out I really like artichoke. You'd think you'd know one way or the other by your mid-30s, wouldn't you?
Wait until you try Jerusalem Artichokes! They don't trouble me so much but a lassie nursing friend, when seated around a semi- formal dinner table and talk of them started said, "Oh, they grow so well in my garden, but they do give me such terrible flatus." We all looked at each other and rolled up laughing, spent the rest of the night giggling and smirking like teenage school girls. Anyway enough of the OT.
Ordinary Globe Artichokes aren't hard to grow, if you have some fresh ones and if you're inclined to marinade then prep and cellar some in olive oil, garlic and pungent herbs like thyme- they're a very welcome addition on pizza night, but in their own right are fairly versatile and tasty. Yet to try Jewish Artichokes, sounds fairly yum though.

I love a bit of roasted artichoke hearts on my pizza, mmmm.

This won't be everyone's cup of tea but, boy, is it ever right up my alley.

Last edited by a moderator:

This won't be everyone's cup of tea but, boy, is it ever right up my alley.

I'm a dog person but that cat has something.....charisma, style, zazz. And probably cat AIDS.

Oohhh. Bottom rung of the animal people ladder....Rat people.

You seem to have forgotten about fish people.

Just went and grabbed a sixer of gage roads sleeping giant from BWS. Guy at the counter asks me if I've tried it before and what I think of it. Well I started with how I thought it wasn't really an IPA and followed with my reasons why I didn't consider it to be an IPA, rattled off a few different malts and hops, the difference between an IPA and an AIPA and why IPA were first introduced............................poor ******* wont ask that question again in a hurry. I seen his eyes glaze over early but kept going :lol: :lol: Yes I am on annual leave and no-one in my house likes to talk beer

You seem to have forgotten about fish people.
I'll rate fish higher than rat. Fish won't escape from its enclosure and mate with the local fish around your house who then cause the next inhabitant of said house to wage war on now colourful crossbred fish who are trying to get into new house inhabitant's brewing gear and grain.

Had a drink with in Cardiff Wales in 1972 - mate & I went into a posho hotel to book his wedding reception and the guys were there in the bar lickering up for their evening performance on tour. Bacardi and coke (it wasn't a Brains pub )
couldn't understand a word they were saying, quite mutual :lol:

Edit: and Shirley Bassey's brother ran up the arse of my car, as posted elsewhere. End of claim to fame.

outta here B)

Oh and Windsor Davies was my upstairs neighbour in Cardiff

windsor_davies.jpeg

outta here B)

Oh and I've been on the piss with Batz, from what they tell me.

never going to get outta here

It's way easier to say, 'you fucked up' than to say, 'well done!'

Happy Friday everybody. Be safe, break legs ;)

I know this is a bit too On Topic but it is hardly worth starting another thread for.

Using wy1318 for the first time at the moment. The end of the second day saw 5L of krausen and good temps. Stoked. Next morning krausen had dropped to about 2cm and the temp dropped by 2C. Fearing the worst, I gave her a swirl and bumped the fridge up a degree or two to 17C (brews tend to run 2C hotter than fridge temps at the beginning for me). 4 hours later the krausen is almost at the gladwrap. 2 hours after that it is pushing so hard against the gladwrap that it has split!!!

Done a search and this doesn't seem to be the normal course of events for this yeast. My question is: wtf?

wy1318 is my go-to English yeast, top cropper extraordinaire, fear not. I reckon it would have attenuated from the 2cm without extra intervention, but that intervention has stirred it up somehwhat clearly haha. Re: the 2c difference, good call - I always run 1318 at an actual/hydro/wort temp of 20c and love the results.

Crop some out for next brew! Delish!

But I'm just some lowly fucker with a membership number in the 16 thousands so clearly I have no ******* idea what I'm talking about.

Edit: I do the whole "second day stir and/or double drop business" with this yeast also, and the increased top layer of yeast activity is perfectly normal. I still say it would have attenuated without it, but no arguing with it now. I have had 1318 go from 1.072 to 1.012 no worries at all.

Sometimes with some of those top cropping strains, they do themselves in. Pushing all the yeast out of the fermentables. What you did made sense and works well, just letting the good healthy yeast get back in contact with their food.

But yeah would have most probably been fine without stirring back in.

Also... Belgian night here, lachouffe followed by chimay blue, then chimay red. Mrs argon will only drink belgians, looks like I'll be on a Belgian run shortly.

But yeah would have most probably been fine without stirring back in.
I've never had a beer drop 2C and 4.5L(ish) of krausen in 10 hours before. It was looking like my yeasties had just said "Stuff it!" and just buggered off. I panicked, I guess.

They're pretty obviously still there so it should all turn out okay.

Also... Belgian night here, lachouffe followed by chimay blue, then chimay red. Mrs argon will only drink belgians, looks like I'll be on a Belgian run shortly.
Ah, that explains why you had them licked back when the bears were bad- they were for spousie! IIRC a Belgian of argon's scooped BABBs minicomp as a visitor/ prospective member, much to everyone's surprise. Now, I know why- its been his shirt lifter all along! :D

Napoleon Dynamite is shit. The one time I found it funny, I was high, and now I don't smoke any more. Now, now it's just shit.

Napoleon Dynamite is shit. The one time I found it funny, I was high, and now I don't smoke any more. Now, now it's just shit.
You're giving the drug far too much credit.

I thought ND was pretty great the first time (straight as a die) - the second, uh, not so much...

Back