No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, you watched the whole thing?!?!
Straight? No.

Whilst it's been on in the background tonight, I have kegged a stout, planned my next 2 batches, wired up a 12 PC fan into my kegerator (just because I can), and intermittently surfed AHB.

My patience is now at an end. Goodnight Napoleon.

Ah, that explains why you had them licked back when the bears were bad- they were for spousie! IIRC a Belgian of argon's scooped BABBs minicomp as a visitor/ prospective member, much to everyone's surprise. Now, I know why- its been his shirt lifter all along! :D
Happy wife, happy life right? To be honest, I don't often have the Belgians available and just trot them out only now and again. I find them a bit too fulll on at times. Expensive tastes that mrs, I guess it explains why she chose me then. Will probably knock out a dubbel this weekend to keep the peace... After I keg the 40L of ESB of course

ND's a crackup, but maybe I should watch it again.

Sweet bike. Shocks, Flag, Pegs. Lucky!
I bet you take it off some sweet jumps.
You just got 3 feet of air that time!

Another loser flick I love is Observe And Report.

Why is it when you go out to a restaurant, and there's only 1 other couple in there at the time, they sit you (a family of 4) at the table right ******* next to the other couple?
WTF?

I'm a dog person but that cat has something.....charisma, style, zazz. And probably cat AIDS.

Oohhh. Bottom rung of the animal people ladder....Rat people.

So i called him Zazzles because he is zazzy, isn't he zazzy. "Sheldon Cooper" one of the big bang episodes

Check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Holidays so I'm formulating recipes, kids asleep...anyway, that stupid new show "The Doctors" is on as background noise to keep the kids asleep.

Did you know you can die from pretty much everything? Everything, I tells ya. My tinfoil hat is ready, people. Could that give me Alzheimer's? :eek:

Anyone know much about steel cut oats and how they would be used in brewing (if at all)? Just like rolled oats or would I have to do something to them first?

No concrete plans as yet but SWMBO has decided she's nnnneeeevvveeeerrrrr going to get sick of oatmeal for breakfast and has just ordered 5kg of said steel cut oats. Naturally, she is going to get sick of oatmeal for breakfast so I'm trying to work out my options.

Anyone know much about steel cut oats and how they would be used in brewing (if at all)? Just like rolled oats or would I have to do something to them first?

No concrete plans as yet but SWMBO has decided she's nnnneeeevvveeeerrrrr going to get sick of oatmeal for breakfast and has just ordered 5kg of said steel cut oats. Naturally, she is going to get sick of oatmeal for breakfast so I'm trying to work out my options.
Ask in the correct forum, Bum! I mean FFS how many times do we need to point this out?
(actually I think i asked a brewing question here a few pages back. Oh well).

NFI is my answer... I've just thrown my oats (the usual no frills stuff) in with the rest of the grain to be milled.

you probably need to check if they are stainless or aluminium steel cut. you cant use non ss cut oats in brewing lol

from wiki (and yes i know thats not an academic referance source)- Steel-cut oats take longer to cook than instant or rolled oats due to their minimal processing, typically 1530 minutes (though much less if pre-soaked). The flavor of the cooked oats is described as being nuttier than other types of oats, and they are also chewier

go give em a longer soak and good cerial mash and you'll be fine

edit: I used 2kg of oats in a double batch of wit recently, so you could easily get rid of the remaining oats in a few brews.

First ever ferment in cubes and hence first ever clean up of yeast explosions.

I knew I should have made a couple of blow-offs. :angry:

Edit: on the plus side the fermenting fridge smells of fruitsalad with all those Columbus and simcoe aromas :icon_drool2:

I must say I do wonder about the yeast health of those who say they ferment in cubes with minimal headspace and don't have to do any clean-ups. Be buggered if I'm going to give it a crack.

go give em a longer soak and good cerial mash and you'll be fine

edit: I used 2kg of oats in a double batch of wit recently, so you could easily get rid of the remaining oats in a few brews.

Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

Soz, pete. I'll do my best not to disrespect No Topic again. I promise!

I must say I do wonder about the yeast health of those who say they ferment in cubes with minimal headspace and don't have to do any clean-ups. Be buggered if I'm going to give it a crack.

Sounds like a plan. Cheers.

Soz, pete. I'll do my best not to disrespect No Topic again. I promise!
Now I'm worried that I don't know what steel my oats were cut with. Faaaaaaark. :huh:

I must say I do wonder about the yeast health of those who say they ferment in cubes with minimal headspace and don't have to do any clean-ups.
I'm more concerned for the amount of yeast I've lost. Not sure how good it is for the beer to be expelling all that yeast that I would think has work to do. But in saying that, a Yorkshire square works ok and top cropping is of no harm.

You will still have plenty of yeast in suspension Argon.

I hate cleaning up similar fridge messes also!!!

Back in the chair for the first time after a sparkling nine day refresher down in Tas.
Transitioning from the pristine beauty of Cradle Mt with its slightly rarefied air in the morning to the choking gridlock and filth of the M5 tunnel in the afternoon made me want to dial Lifeline.

That aside, if you ever visit Hobart, you should drop in to the Sydney Hotel. We always stay in the Mid city which is a convenient stagger across the road.

If you prefer live music, an open fire and craft beer to pokies, T.A.B facilities and lingerie waitresses, then it's worth a look.

http://craftypint.com/beer/bar/new-sydney-hotel-tas/

Back in the chair for the first time after a sparkling nine day refresher down in Tas.
Transitioning from the pristine beauty of Cradle Mt with its slightly rarefied air in the morning to the choking gridlock and filth of the M5 tunnel in the afternoon made me want to dial Lifeline.

That aside, if you ever visit Hobart, you should drop in to the Sydney Hotel. We always stay in the Mid city which is a convenient stagger across the road.

If you prefer live music, an open fire and craft beer to pokies, T.A.B facilities and lingerie waitresses, then it's worth a look.

Is there an option for live music, open fire and lingerie waitresses?

Love Tas. Would happily live there except for the lack of jobs in my industry and (allegedly) not so top notch school system.

Cheers
Dave

You certainly got some good weather while you were down. I've been looking at the river when I get home every arvo and giving serious thought to stealing my neighbours boat to quickly wet a line before the sun disappears. It's on our boat ramp so surely that's a legal grey area. New Sydney has to one of my favourite pubs in the country.

You certainly got some good weather while you were down. I've been looking at the river when I get home every arvo and giving serious thought to stealing my neighbours boat to quickly wet a line before the sun disappears. It's on our boat ramp so surely that's a legal grey area. New Sydney has to one of my favourite pubs in the country.

Magic weather alright, apart from the first day over at Bruny. Blustery showers and rather bracing 7 deg. Still, a steaming bowl of (superb) seafood chowder, crusty bread and a couple of beers at the Bruny Hotel sorted that out.

I would have looked you up but for the fact we did the drive up from Coles Bay that day with out 16 month old lad.
They really let you know when they've had a gutfull of being strapped into the old Safe 'n' Sound, don't they...

Is there an option for live music, open fire and lingerie waitresses?

One of barmaids is an attentive, petite, French lass with a delightful accent.
In my minds eye, she is wearing lingerie.

Back