No Rinse Sterilizer = Sodium Percarbonate, Napisan = Sodium Percarbona

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taken as included under "other factors" above.

As I understand it there's still a fair bit we don't know about peroxide chemistry (including how Fenton's reaction actually works).

DrSmurto said:
Sodium percarbonate produces hydrogen peroxide. Not sure why buying hydrogen peroxide is bad given the cleaning/sanitation is the same.

I personally prefer a 2:1 mix of sodium percarbonate:sodium metalsilicate for cleaning and a no rinse sanitiser like starsan for sanitising.

The cleaning mix cost $8.07 for 5kg in a recent bulk buy i organised so a smegload cheaper than even homebrand napisan and this is pure.
Just trying to keep it simple for the newbs. Not trying to get over technical or recommend specific relatively hard to obtain products.

Concentrated hydrogen peroxide isn't the safest thing to keep around the house and try and blend, that's why.

Pure sodium percarbonate, sodium metalsilicate blends, food grade concentrated hydrogen peroxide are harder to source than say generic napisan, and if your already sourcing these products your not the target audience (target audience being people wanting/needing to improve their brew hygiene).

I dont use napisan, I use pure sodium percarbonate for ~$10 per 5 kg and Starsan, but used cheap brand napisan for years.

At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with Nappi-San. It works. Full stop

Unless you buy a 20kg sack it's hard to source pure Perc if you, like Stu and I, live in a regional area.
I've lucked out on a bulk deal in SEQ recently but for years my perc supply was precarious.

Given the small quantities needed for regular fermenter cleaning, using oxynappysan varieties won't break the bank.

Note that manufacturers are dropping any references to nappies in their brands as today's breeders prefer to pack landfills for 300 years.

Bribie G said:
I've lucked out on a bulk deal in SEQ recently but for years my perc supply was precarious.

I lucked in... and the 25KG sack is going to last ages. I have transferred to a pail with lid, and if you need any lemme know. Its gonna take years to work through that lot. I'm in Wakerley on the Bayside.

stevonz said:
I lucked in... and the 25KG sack is going to last ages. I have transferred to a pail with lid, and if you need any lemme know. Its gonna take years to work through that lot. I'm in Wakerley on the Bayside.
Can any of you using pure sodium percarbonate advise me what ratio you use it in? I was given some recently and wanted to start using it up.

Cheers

Is there a use by date on the pure percarb.?

My 25 kg sack I got in last years bulk buy has a manufactures date and also a use by date of April 2017.still got 17 odd kgs left.

I keep it in a sealed drum, it's still working great and I only take out a kg at a time .

Do you just keep using it for a couple of years? Or will it eventually not work.

Cheers

Eventually it loses its effectiveness, I think the humidity in the air slowly breaks it down over time. I bought a 25kg sack a couple of years ago and went past its best before by a fair way and it was still ok, but I don't skimp on the stuff either. It's not really that expensive at under $4 per kg. I have a small amount of that sack in a mason jar in the kitchen for soaking small items and it definitely doesn't bubble up as vigorously as it used to, but it still cleans shit off perfectly well.

I'll be grabbing another 25kg on Thursday. As for the rate of use, I really have no idea. I fill my FV up and dump in 7 scoops, whatever that amounts to, probably somewhere around 150g.

2blokes said:
Thanks for the reply, I have seen that thread but unless I missed something it is also inconclusive. Some people using only 1-2 teaspoons per 30L some using more.

Keg Kings website they say to use 30g per 9-10L so I am confused as to what to use.
The label on my LHBS Sodium Percarbonate states to use at 10gm/L, but I find you can get away with a tenth of this, but sometimes 10gm/L is what is required. It really depends on how much gunk is in the vessel that needs cleaning. Mostly the 2-4 gm/L (similar to Keg Kings advise) works for me.

2blokes said:
Thanks for the reply, I have seen that thread but unless I missed something it is also inconclusive. Some people using only 1-2 teaspoons per 30L some using more.

Keg Kings website they say to use 30g per 9-10L so I am confused as to what to use.
The reason you are confused is because it does come in different purities from around 30 % upwards, for instance if you had bought 50%pure sodium percarbonate you would have to use twice as much as someone who had bought 100% pure, as has been mentioned above it also depends what you are going to be using it for. For getting labels off bottles I would use half a cupful in 30 litres of water at around 50 or 60 degrees C, don't go hotter than that, also for keeping it, it is best stored in a dark bin and keep it under 40 degrees C and keep it dry even though it is not photodegradable I do believe the hydrogen peroxide is. If you haven't bought yours yet the chemist I was recently speaking to advised me to get the sodium perborate as it is more stable but not as environmentally safe it breaks down into boron though water treatment plants may be able to take care of this your garden will not,

I've used napisan on my fermenters exclusively. They are as clean and white as the day I bought them and the inside surface has never been scrubbed.

Yeah I'll keep using it. It's just on a year old, still works great. I do just get a kg at a time and try and keep the sack sealed in a bin.

I've been using it strong as when you got a full sack for 50 bucks might as well go hard....

wide eyed and legless said:
The reason you are confused is because it does come in different purities from around 30 % upwards, for instance if you had bought 50%pure sodium percarbonate you would have to use twice as much as someone who had bought 100% pure, as has been mentioned above it also depends what you are going to be using it for.
WEAL, his original question, which you answered directly after was about pure sodium percarbonate. 100% is pure in anyones language.
2blokes said:
Can any of you using pure sodium percarbonate advise me what ratio you use it in? I was given some recently and wanted to start using it up.

Cheers
I would dare say the confusion lies more in the various opinions out there, which rightly so are based on level of gunk or type of gunk being removed. Really thick caked on gunk 10gm/L no doubt. Only lightly dirty, then 2-4gm/L or even less if pretty much clean before treatment. At the end of the day, if you want to save using more Sodium Percarbonate then give your fermenter a squirt out with a garden hose nozzle to remove the thick gunk then fill and use lower doses.

Jack of all biers said:
WEAL, his original question, which you answered directly after was about pure sodium percarbonate. 100% is pure in anyones language.
Unlikely as it may seem there is a difference in 100% pure sodium percarbonate and pure sodium percarbonate, probably just sales speel, that's why you will notice on eBay 100% pure, or in some cases pure, Oxy clean is classed as a pure but is made up of s/p and filler same with oxy bleach, when I got prices recently the oxy bleach was cheaper for that reason, and Napisan has a content of about 30% s/p just as an interest for those who use it.
Also if it is repackaged and being sold on eBay as 100% pure I would be giving it a miss.

Hi just went into Coles... looks like they have dropped a lot the Home brand styling but Coles laundry booster.. About 30% sodium p. Is that the same stuff .. think is similar to napisan...

Back