No (low) Effort Vegetarian Food

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut thick slices of Haloumi Cheese - place on BBQ - sprinkle with black pepper and squeeze over some lemon juice.... maybe some chilli if you like.

like they said in my big fat Greek wedding

What do you mean, you don't eat no meat? [The entire room stops, in shock. We hear plates break and there are gasps.]
...That's okay. I make lamb. :)

hahahahaha.. IK, its funny.

btw, thanks a LOT TB. I've seriously been searching the name of the cheese for a few years now. Not seriously, but I give every cheese that look and try to see if it will stand up to a bbq. I remember a friend in Italy sticking some of that cheese and (em)Maus (I think thats what he called it, its like polenta)... all in small flat round cakes on the bbq and just grilling them. They disappeared super fast.

You can do it with paneer as well - and i think there are some south american cheeses that fry up well too.

I do a couscous salad that is sometimes vegetarian and very easy (low effort)

Couscous - add boiling water, wait 5 mins.

During that time chop up/add; feta, avocado, olives, marinated roast capsicum and/or sundried tomato, roasted pine nuts and lettuce.

Dress with a squeeze of lemon juice and some olive oil.

When i want something more substantial i add shredded poached chicken. :D

Other vegie dishes i do

Aloo Gobi (cheat by microwaving the potatoes and cauliflower)

Thai curries - my fridge is always stocked with homemade curry pastes (red, yellow, green, jungle, panang, massaman, northern)

Laksa

Hehe, yes, paneer holds up well but is kinda exxy in oz... Sometimes I'd slice ricotta and dry it out in the oven to get paneer consistency.

btw, Dr S. Aloo gobhi, micro the potato but not the cauliflower. The cauliflower will cook without hassle in the wok/pot :) or if you do microwave it, do so uncovered. Long steaming makes it go limp and no amount of crisping in a pan gets that back. on the stove I cover for 5 mins or so on medium heat and it's done but not wilted.

Duc, never imagined frying those.... Haha. Very rarely, when I make pakora- I'll dip cubes of cheddar or tasty in the chickpea (black gram) flour batter and fry real quick. I'm gonna give a try with a cheese assortment next time.

But one tip with the Haloumi, you HAVE to eat it hot :icon_drool2: , when it gets cool it's like rubber.

My wife's a vegie, Haloumi on the BBQ is one of our favourites

There is a great arabic cheese that I could get in Sydney called baladye/baladi which is like a softer version of haloumi, except with much less salt, more towards bocconcini. Very nice to use as a protein.

I have been culturing shiitake, hon shimeji and oyster mushrooms at home on plates in an attempt to grow them to eat. I really enjoy packing a miso soup with different mushrooms and whatever suitable veg I have on hand (cabbage or shallots etc). Super quick and easy and tasty light meal. One thing I also love is enoki mushrooms in a salad, they give an awesome texture.

ED: I prefer my Asian soups to have fish stock in them though, seaweed goes a long way in miso, but a little hon dashi finishes it perfectly, similar thing with laksa and shrimp paste.

Haloumi is awsome grilled or fried, them put into a salad :)

I cut up strawberries and put 1 tablespoon of evoo, balsamic, squeaze of lemon and salt and pepper.. let it sit for awhile. Make a green salad of either rocket, spinach or lettuce leaves put some red onion and mint through it... put the strawberries and the dressing in... Place grilled haloumi on top...

^Strawberries marinaded in a little sugar and balsamic is a great, easy dessert.

Also very lightly salted orange: can be added to a vriety of other things or eaten as is.

'Dry Moong Daal'

Its an easy and simple one and DO NOT need a pressure cooker.

Soak some Shelled - Split Moong daal for a 1/2 hour or so. This is the small yellow daal, it cooks very easily so its recommended not to soak or cook for too long.

In a skillet/frying pan/wok - Sautee some chopped onion, garlic and cumin in a bit of oil. Add the soaked daal and season with salt, pepper, chilli powder, a pinch or so of turmeric - don't go overboard with the spices but the daal is fairly bland on its own. Let through only the least amount of water into the pan.

Keep disturbing it with a spoon and turning/tossing the lot over until all looks fairly cooked. Have a chew on a bit to see that its slightly crisp but doesn't taste raw. Make sure to add enough oil that the daal doesn't start clumping on itself and balling up into soft balls of daal dough.

You can add stuff to this - snow peas, peas, chopped beans.. whatever really. Garnish with some coriander/chopped tomatoes/crumbled or diced paneer.

Use to fill a wrap with some salad leaves or a tortilla. Can be put as a kind of dry-crunchy paste on a burger.

If you make roti, its just nice with some roti and natural yoghurt/curd.
Goes well with rice too if you have yoghurt or something with the rice.

This guy seems to add spinach into his' pretty good looking addition...
palak-moong-daal-sabji1.jpg

Good Chef Bad chef I've found is good for some vegitarian dishes.
My partner used to be a vego so shes happy to eat plenty of vegitarian stuff. But for me growing up eatting the cattle we used to rear its a bit harder for me to get used to the idea of dinner with out a meat protein.
However between Janella Purcell and SWMBO I'm starting to eat more meals without meat and even the meals with meat I'm having smaller portions of meat. Dont get me wrong I still like me a 500gram rib eye cooked rare with chips and salad but I dont feel that I have to have 400+ grams of meat on a plate.
I do find some vegitarian stuff a little hard to deal with as I find a lot of vegitarian food very acidic.

So guys who think you cant deal with vegitarian stuff - give it a go. Vegetarian quinoa burritos with labna are a favorite for me!

Okie, this is gonna go straight back to the root of this thread.

Usually I do this on a pizza base, but I was lazy today :p

On a sheet of pastry, spread sliced tomato, sliced boiled/microzapped potato, some sort of herbs, spices you like. Onions and garlic if you please. Top with cheese and stick the whole thing in the oven. On baking paper.

Soon as you see the cheese melted, take it out of the oven (oh yes, we're bakin this). Fold the pastry in half between two corners and put back in oven. Wait for the pastry to puff up, take it out and turn it over, put back in oven and let puff on the other side too.

Enjoy with some homebrew

I am not a vegetarian (well at least I choose as much vege as I can instead of meat for lunch) but I do make up some nice vege stuff and my mom-in-law works in a vegetarian restaurant as a chef so here's my contribution.

Cool Cucumber noodle salad
1x Cucumber thinly sliced
1x large chilli thinly sliced with seeds removed
Noodles or pasta of choice (cooked and cooled in fridge)

Sauce: Blend the following
3x tbsp of peanut butter
A drizzle of Olive oil
A dash of Peanut oil (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything up and eat!

Back