No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gotta be shitting me.

Pretty straightforward question deserves a straightforward answer.

I'll rephrase.

Besides the effect of NC on hop aroma and flavour are there any other well documented effects on beer quality to which you refer in your previous statement?

Last brew day my plate chiller dropped a kettle full of 100deg wort to 14 in about 10 mins so it's 'heaps better' than having to wait day(s) to pitch yeast. ;)

Couldn't let that one pass.. last time I was in Melbourne I just did what I normally do in QLD and hopped in the shower before the hot / cold had stabilised, badly miscaluclated and you could have heard the shriek as far away as Bribie Island. You could snap freeze a kitten in Melbourne mains water most of the year and send it to Butters surface mail and still frozen when it gets there :p

However we do have a club member here in Pine Rivers who immersion-chills using buckets of ice he painstakingly prepares in ice cream containers then smashes with a sledgehamer, plus a pond pump with hoses and shit all over the place - nice drop but oh the humanity. :mellow:

I am only just about to start out into AG and I will be no chilling. I like the ability to break up the brew day as I can only really brew on the weekends. Also the water temp in Qld doesn't seem to get cold enough to bring it down to pitching temp very easily anyway.

Another pro for nochill, it looks pretty cool when you check out your stockpile

nochill_storage.jpg

Eventually all the 25L cubes on the bottom shelf will get replaced with 20L ones as I don't brew to fill the bigger ones up anymore.

QldKev

Awesome :)

A lot of filled cubes I see here (photos anyway) appear to be well lit. Does the exposure to light affect these cubed beauties at all?

beercubes1.jpg

Had a bloke in my shed the other day who was more into water purifying than beer.

He'd been in there for hours when he turned around and pointed at my cubes and said "Is that all beer?" :icon_cheers:

Also said that Ross's Summer Ale was one of the best 'home brews' he's ever tried. Not bad for a blonde drinker.

Awesome :)

A lot of filled cubes I see here (photos anyway) appear to be well lit. Does the exposure to light affect these cubed beauties at all?

I've read it is not effected until after you pitch yeast.

Just in case, I don't leave mine in direct light. In the pic I have the side door to the workshop open for light, but it never stays open. Also you may see in the pic I have cardboard on the side to protect most of the shelf, with the drawers helping blockout light for the lower ones.

QldKev

I no-chill because thats what i originally set up for. I also have a little plate chiller that i haven't set up yet so i am planning on using the chilling method as well. Tank water is currently at 10 Deg so it should do the job easily. The advantage to no-chill for me is i can brew my 60 - 80 ltr batches and decide when i want to ferment them out. Days, weeks, Months... Also i can make subtle changes in fermenting for the same beer like using different yeasts, hops and temps so i can still manipulate different flavours. All in all i just love making beer and the small changes you can make that can change a beer entirely. Beers cool!!!

I Have been no chill for some time now in my little Biab set up. All working well, just wondered if anyone has thought about BPA from the cube or Jerry cans. They say BPA is toxic and can be released into plastic when heated. I don't really like the idea of serving up nice pints of ale full of BPA and slowly killing all my mates and myself included. Anyone got anymore info?

I Have been no chill for some time now in my little Biab set up. All working well, just wondered if anyone has thought about BPA from the cube or Jerry cans. They say BPA is toxic and can be released into plastic when heated. I don't really like the idea of serving up nice pints of ale full of BPA and slowly killing all my mates and myself included. Anyone got anymore info?

I'd be more worried about the botulism. :eek:

Don't worry about it, it also causes memory loss so you'll never remember when you get real sick. That's if your arms don't fall off from the leprosy it also causes. Of course, if the blindness sets in early, it will slow your consumption, so will prolong your life a little longer.

We'll all just have to wait 30 years and see if the no chill brewers develop cancers earlier or at a greater rate than chillers.

Personally I don't think there is that much to worry about, given the amount of carcinogens that are flying around the environment.

Do you use deodorant? Large amounts of aluminium have been linked with Alzheimer's disease.

Alcohol has been linked with all kinds of cancer (mouth, oesophagus, breast).

Do you eat salami/red meat regularly? If so hello increased risk of colorectal cancer, or botulism if the salami is cured properly (although some would have you believe that no chill brewing can lead to botulism).

Ever lived/worked/went to school in buildings with asbestos in them? Lung cancer/mesothelioma.

Just sayin...

There isn't any BPA in your cubes.

I stand corrected. That probably will make you crook if you drink enough of it at once.

Latest posts

Back