No chill transfer troubles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming up six years that I've been AG brewing and no chilling and I have always just run the wort from the urn into the cube. After the first couple of seconds the near boiling wort is just running down through some foam covering the wort already in the cube and I can't see that it's going to pick up any oxygen on the way down - if hot side aeration was anything to worry about then tell that to the many breweries that used "coolships" before the advent of modern refrigeration, for example Pilsner Urquell until the brewery was rebuilt in the early 21st Century. And quite a few use coolships to this day, including the famous California Steam Beer.

The boiling wort is flooded into a huge flat pan to be cooled, in this case by the cool winds from the Pacific, giving rise to clouds of steam.

steam_beer_2.jpg

I'd venture an opinion that HSA can indeed be a problem for megaswill that is carted around the planet and is often a year old before it's drunk, and indeed staling can be a problem especially down here at the arse end.

But for our home efforts where the beer is drunk comparatively young, I for one have never tried to minimise HSA.

I wouldn't bother connecting your transfer hose to the tap of your cube, as others have said, run the hose inside the cube.

I actually don't have a tap connected to the cube when transferring hot wort, I use the bung and connect the tap when I'm ready to transfer to fermenter.

HSA might not be an issue, but I would rather err on the side of caution and minimize any risk, so the less splashing, the less likelihood of HSA.

Back