No Chill Cube - Bunnings Blue BMW Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewermp

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a quick post to let you all know that I have spoken to the manufacturer of the blue bmw containers (bored and curious) that are sold in bunnings and they are only rated up to 40 degrees of liquid. So 'no chill' is out of the question :)

Have a good beerday.

I have used one for 3 brews of no-chill. No problem. Not to say the info is incorrect but what something is rated to and what it can handle are often different.
Have now got a plate chiller but so it is now a filtered water vessel.

guilty of using a blue one twice now for no chill.

Oh my last brew was chilled in one of those bunnings containers. Seemed to be fine.

I wonder why they would make claims that it couldnt go higher than 40 then?

Probably to do with food safe, and possibly leaching chemicals at higher temperature.

BMW, is that the brand?

We talking the 20L jerry can style plastic containers?

Shit, I've been using them for years... as have lots of brewers I know.

I guess that explains my increasing mental retardation.

I can see this thread being a few pages long with lots of friendships lost.

1. I've used them, as have others, and they work
2. 'Rated' isn't a term I'd use without some sort of condition. What happens above 40°C?
3. Only the blue ones? What makes them different to all the other colours and non-coloured ones that are acceptable for use by home users and retailers alike?

I'm gonna put on my flame suit because they'll be a flyin' soon.

TheWiggman said:
I can see this thread being a few pages long with lots of friendships lost.

1. I've used them, as have others, and they work
2. 'Rated' isn't a term I'd use without some sort of condition. What happens above 40°C?
3. Only the blue ones? What makes them different to all the other colours and non-coloured ones that are acceptable for use by home users and retailers alike?

I'm gonna put on my flame suit because they'll be a flyin' soon.
Yeah just mentioned the blue ones as they are the ones currently in stock at bunnings. I think manual testing is the best way to know I guess, obviously a lot of people here are using them fine so the companies statements are misleading.

If I was selling them I wouldn't suggest people carry hot water in them either. They warp to buggery (handy as 20l becomes 23l) and have no protection from the hot liquids inside, so can burn hands. And when no-chilling, thighs as these are particularly exposed when not wearing pants.

The thing I'm concerned about is food-safe, not the ability for the cube to do it's job, it's pretty obvious when it doesn't do its job.

OP, what is the BMW? Is that the brand?

Mine are willow brand and have treated me well for years and hundreds of brews.... multiple cubes, too.

Damn this thread, I need/was going to buy 2 in the morning and now will be wondering if my years of experience will over rule something someone said on the intergoogle machine. :p

Seriously though, what is the rating for? Rated to what? Not explode? Leach chemicals?

Or is this just a cat amongst pigeons post?

[quote name="TheWiggman" post="1243229" timestamp="141715 And when no-chilling, thighs as these are particularly exposed when not wearing pants.[/quote]
Brewing with no pants on is definateley not a good idea

TheWiggman said:
If I was selling them I wouldn't suggest people carry hot water in them either. They warp to buggery (handy as 20l becomes 23l) and have no protection from the hot liquids inside, so can burn hands. And when no-chilling, thighs as these are particularly exposed when not wearing pants.

HDPE is rated much hotter than 40 (120 from the depths of my memory but check rather than taking my word for it). They are HDPE. Maybe the manufacturer recommends 40 which is a different story.
I'd use any hdpe container confidently for my no chill wort, which is usually about 80 by the time it gets into the cube.

Yes they are bpa free.

Back