No bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A balloon with a hole in it can provide erectile noise-pollution-free fermentatory satisfaction.

If you need the bloop, get a fish tank.

hsb said:
A balloon with a hole in it can provide erectile noise-pollution-free fermentatory satisfaction.

If you need the bloop, get a fish tank.
I like this idea, I might give it a shot. My fv resides in my living room on account of limited real estate so the blooping can get a little annoying.

Aside from the airlock, I seriously think 1.055 for those ingredients is severally off the mark.
Make sure you draw some wort off from the tap, throw it away, then take another sample to do your hydro reading.
Would have expected 1.038-1.042

yum beer said:
Aside from the airlock, I seriously think 1.055 for those ingredients is severally off the mark.
Make sure you draw some wort off from the tap, throw it away, then take another sample to do your hydro reading.
Would have expected 1.038-1.042
Unless he deviated from the kit and final volume was like 17L?

The crowd pleaser I just made I brought down to 20L opposed to 23L for a bit more body...

My final volume is right on 23L according to the side of the fermenter.

Also, I tried to use the Kit and Extract Designer spreadsheet but with what I've used it says FG will be high, EBC and IBU will be low. Should I be worried about any of that or is there anything I can do to "fix" it?

toughen said:

Also, I tried to use the Kit and Extract Designer spreadsheet but with what I've used it says FG will be high, EBC and IBU will be low. Should I be worried about any of that or is there anything I can do to "fix" it?
Depends what you want to get out of your brew. If you want to brew something closer to the style you are after, then you need to alter your recipe. if you wanna make something taste how you want it, dont worry what the spreadsheet tells you.
The spreadsheet like kind of like guidelines, rather than rules - like the pirates code.

toughen said:

It's low/high only based on what the spreadsheet recommends the IBU EBC gravities etc for that type of beer.

If you've just followed a recipe don't worry or change anything.

Edit: Broke some words

Ok, thanks. You guys are full of info.

Now I need to find some empty bottles quick smart. I kind of bought my brew kit and put on a brew spare of the moment and hadn't been saving empties. I also can see myself becoming slightly obsessed with this. I might need another fermenter to start a second brew. I have 2 but want to bulk prime.

As most of mine don't bubble, I decided for my last brew I would spray a small amount of Canola Cooking spray around the rubber. Voila, I got bubbling. I don't think the spray would affect the beer, what do you Guys think? My friend puts a little honey around the rubber. That should also be OK, although I would think it would make it rather sticky.

Do not over tighten the lid, it will help sealing, but i think i know how one of my fermenters has a small crack in the joining seam at the neck.
If you don't have ants, honeys probably as good a lubricant as any, i find the residue from the sanitiser works well.

petroleum jelly. otherwise know as Vaseline. just dont get it in your beer.

toughen said:

Now I need to find some empty bottles quick smart. I kind of bought my brew kit and put on a brew spare of the moment and hadn't been saving empties. I also can see myself becoming slightly obsessed with this.
I started with 14 PET Coopers bottles, two steins to drink from, a hydrometer and a single fermenter about eight weeks ago.

I now have about 80 PET bottle of various sizes, three steins, six pilsener glasses, two schooner glasses, three fermenters, a dry hopping ball, several varieties of hops and malt extracts, and dedicated strainer and stove pot.

My girlfriend is not impressed. She likes the beer though.

Mine's the airlock not sitting perfectly in the grommet. Bit wetting it does the trick but I'm really not bothered.

Forever Wort said:
I started with 14 PET Coopers bottles, two steins to drink from, a hydrometer and a single fermenter about eight weeks ago.

I now have about 80 PET bottle of various sizes, three steins, six pilsener glasses, two schooner glasses, three fermenters, a dry hopping ball, several varieties of hops and malt extracts, and dedicated strainer and stove pot.

I'm in a similar spot, except I started with about 80 glass bottles and now they're just about all full!
I simply have to drink some to make room for my next batch currently fermenting at day 2 (plenty of time left!)

Forever Wort said:
I get mine to help and be involved with recipe designing/research, and we also make cider. It's a great way to get off the hook, so to speak!

Even better when you send her to the LHBS to get a couple of things, and then text her some extras you 'forgot'. Seems to work better that way... ;)

toughen said:

Now I need to find some empty bottles quick smart. I kind of bought my brew kit and put on a brew spare of the moment and hadn't been saving empties. I also can see myself becoming slightly obsessed with this. I might need another fermenter to start a second brew. I have 2 but want to bulk prime.
I am proud of myself, when i started brewing i kept buying for 5-6mths to build up empties stock and to let the early brews develop, hard to drink megaswill when you know there's something better in the cupboard, all grain now but still bottle, and always have 7-8 different brews on hand.

syl said:
My airlock always bubbles I find the bloop bloop comforting. Clingfilm is for hippies
3773559+_87be5c734d1405da1cd72c4337074836.jpg
I'd like to see an airlock fitted through clingwrap. :blink:

I've just been reading about "Boonies LCPA Clone" and I want to tip out my brew and start again :)

Now that I've done a very basic brew and I get the process better it seems pretty simple really.

Can't wait to get my next brew on.

Ok, so I've just gone to check the gravity and when I first opened the tap into the container a bunch of chunks came out.. :huh: Is that just sediment that was in the tap or something? Is it infected? how do you know if it's infected?

Anyway, I emptied it out and cleaned the hydrometer and container again then turned the tap on slower, this time not getting any chunks. The gravity is now at 1022-ish (fairly bubbly), temp is at 20 degrees.

If nothing else I thought it tasted pretty good :D

Edit: Just FYI - it has now been in fermenter for 6 days

Yes that is sediment, i normally turn the tap off & on a couple of times to clear sediment, be careful the tap doesn't spin in the fermenter instead of turning off, hate wasted sweet wort. looks like it still has a little way to go, check every couple of days until steady. Then leave a week to clean up.

Back