No bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just yeast and hop debris if you dry hopped. Just chuck the first bit and take another sample.
I always wait until the bubbles stop and the krausen disappears before taking readings saves disturbing the sediments too much.

Tropical_Brews said:
My airlock always bubbles I find the bloop bloop comforting. Clingfilm is for hippies
I always thought hippies used a bit of old hessian or hemp cloth over the top.

Hi guys, its now day 9, gravity is about 1018-1019 so it's only dropped by about 3 in 3 days. Has my ferment stopped?

I gave it a 'swirl' on Friday because I was worried it wasn't fermenting. Any advice would be great. I still have the kit yeast from the Coopers Pale Ale as I didn't use it in this brew.

Temp fluctuates a little between 18-22ish (day/night). My next brew I'm putting in the laundry cupboard because I think it will have much more stable temp. I've still got to con...vince my wife that I need a bar fridge and temp controller for this project :)

Cheers

Sorry toughen I dont think it is finished :(

You can look up stalled ferment for many soloutions. Or you could try boiling 3-5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient with 150grams of dextrose in 2 cups of water chucking that in and giving it a dam good shake it worked for me last time.

Deffinitly too high to bottle in glass though PET might be ok.

JJJ

As above gentle stir but make sure you rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter.

Tropical_Brews said:
As above gentle stir but make sure you rouse the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter.
Agree. But a damn good shake is just asking or trouble, right?

Depends how damn your good is but yes. Gentle agitation from stirring, rocking or racking can work but as malted says - fast ferment will tell you what to expect. Then work out how to get there.

JoeyJoeJoe said:
Sorry toughen I dont think it is finished :(

You can look up stalled ferment for many soloutions. Or you could try boiling 3-5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient with 150grams of dextrose in 2 cups of water chucking that in and giving it a dam good shake it worked for me last time.

Deffinitly too high to bottle in glass though PET might be ok.

JJJ
Holy shit snacks!!! That's a lot of nutrient!! Consider that I put 1 semi heaped teaspoon in a full sized AG batch..

I agree it seemed like a lot to me to. Got to stir the lazy buggers up some how

OK so as I was running out the door this morning I sterilized my giant spoon and popped it open and stirred up the sediment. I noticed there was no krausen on top so I guess that confirms fermenting has stopped. Is that right? I'll try the fast ferment thing too.

Sounds like a plan. Give it another test in a day or so and let us know if it has started to come down.

FYI, I was going to do the fast ferment but to be honest I have no way of keeping the temp up for it so I decided to add more yeast. I used a tablespoon of sugar dissolved in a cup of warm (boiled) water and added the yeast and let it come to life then chucked it in the fermenter. (It even bubbled my airlock which my first yeast didn't!) It is now still holding positive pressure and has some foam back on the top so hopefully it's fermenting more. Someone is probably going to yell at me for doing it all wrong, but I'm just winging it :)

I'll post back when I check gravity again.

toughen said:
Someone is probably going to yell at me for doing it all wrong, but I'm just winging it :)
Mate, your heart is in the right place. If you care about your beer and are generally clean then no one can tell you you're doing it wrong, freedom of home brewing, boo yeah!!!!
If it doesn't work out...oh well...just make another one :D, don't loose faith in homebrewing if this beer turns out average. The more you make, the better you get.
Happy brewing,
Twalky

Hi guys, I checked last night and gravity is down to 1010! Finally.. Thanks for your help..

I put another brew on last night and have some questions. Am I best starting a new thread?

toughen said:
Hi guys, I checked last night and gravity is down to 1010! Finally.. Thanks for your help..

I put another brew on last night and have some questions. Am I best starting a new thread?
You'll probably get more responses if you do, maybe just link it here if you want the same people to see it

Bulk primed and bottled this on Sunday. I used 125gm sugar dissolved in water, according to the spreadsheet that will be 2.3 Vols CO2 and comes under "low" but being my first I am scared of bottle bombs... However, it's now Thursday and nothing has exploded. I made sure to use 1 clear bottle so I can see the colour etc and it looks a little cloudy. I just want to crack one open.

I know the longer you leave them the better, but how soon could I expect them to have reasonable carbonation? they are sitting in the garage so probably between 18-22 degrees.

If you are worried about bottle bombs use PET. I usually bulk prime 23L with 150-160g of dextrose and no problems.

Up here in the tropics average 25C they carb up in under a week and may take another 2 to clear fully. I am impatient so have to take a check taste as soon as they carb up. It is hard to restrain myself but usually the last bottle of the batch tastes the best.

Latest posts

Back