Nice Guys Brewery & Bar, Richmond (VIC)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black n Tan

Reaction score
Hi brewers. I have been busy of late and thought I would share my brew dream to open a brewpub, Nice Guys Brewery and Bar, in Richmond, Melbourne.

As background I am a scientist and most recently CEO of a private company working on Alzheimer's disease drug. I recently decided on a 'tree change' and will be opening a brew pub in Richmond (Melbourne) in mid 2019. The brewery will be called Nice Guys which is a little tongue in cheek. We have leased a premises in Victoria St Richmond and have received a planning permit and building permit for the change of use and fit-out. Work on the fit-out is underway. Tanks have arrived and are held in storage. We are doing this on our own so it is all a little scary and expensive, but I believe my brewing and company management experience should see us through. The venue will hold 150 persons and will house a 500L Braumiester, two 17HL and on e 9HL unitanks and about six 15HL and two 9HL serving bright tanks housed in a large cool room. We will serve food also and if things go well we can expand upstairs. We have engaged a builder (who also is an artist), town planning consultant, architect, branding company, acoustic engineers, traffic engineer, land surveyor and building surveyor, and that was just to submit out town planning application to council. I am very happy with the team of people and believe they are the right people to help me deliver my vision. The application took 12 months to go through council and then a further 4 months to get our building permit. Water under the bridge now but the delays have lost money and will affect our fit-out. Onwards and upwards. Anyway I will provide more details of our journey as this progress and happy to answer any questions you may have.

No but my ancestor was a convict from Suffolk deported for 'sacrilege'. I'll make him proud I am sure.

good luck with it mate, hope to hear your cranking out the brews before too long !! :overhead:

Tee shirts are finished and look great.

Coasters are still to come but love the design.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.11.23 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.11.23 pm.png
    430.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.23.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 3.23.09 pm.png
    723.5 KB · Views: 220
The name is on the front. I hear you but have full confidence in my branding team. They are a very experienced team and know what they are doing. It is just one element of the branding. The matter was discussed but I am not a branding expert so can't tell you the why's and wherefores. I have to trust my experts because in the end they know more than me and that's what I pay them for.

IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg
This week we poured the slabs in four stages and all plumbing and electrical is roughed in. This is a major milestone for the project, both physically and psychologically. The power upgrade to 120A 3 phase is complete and gas (for kitchen) has been connected to site., We used 300mpa concrete and lots of steel and had to pour in stages as the concrete included an accelerant to ensure we got an even and smooth sloping finish. The first pour was for the walk ways and kitchen cool room to provide a hard edge for the pours for the brewery areas. Then we poured the brewhouse floor, then the brewery serving tank cool room floor and then the fermentation floor. We used policrete pre-cast polymer concrete strip drains with stainless grates. The strip drains in the brewhouse and fermentation areas include a straining pit and connect through to a very deep pit in the backyard which is then pumped to a trade waste tank and released into the sewer once pH and temp is within acceptable parameters. The policrete is chemically resistant which it needs to be with the caustic and acid used in the brewery. The builder spent a lot of time setting out the strip drains to ensure the concreter would deliver the fall in the floor we required. it was complex because were trying to achieve a minimum 10mm in 1 metre fall and the exciting floor already had a 12mm fall from front of the brew areas to the rear. Anyway I think we got there and it is a huge relief.

The HGM unitanks and HLT and CLT arrived on site and I was shitting bricks as we unloaded from the truck and all went well. The Braumiester and bright beer serving tanks are being held in storage until the cool room is built within the next 2 weeks. Next week will plaster and paint the brewing areas, and start fitting off the plumbing. it is starting to get very real.

The first photo shows the fermentation floor on the left of the timber with a strip drain off-centre, the kitchen coolroom floor top right (poured concrete) and the enormous coolroom for the serving tanks on the right.
Second photo is the brewhouse floor, third is coolroom floor and last is fermentation/coolroom floors

Loving it - construction and beer, two of my favourites! Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Good on you for taking the plunge few of us have the guts to, and of course, best of luck.

Will be sure to call in for a cold one when you’re open next time I’m town.

Back