Next Step

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new brewer ( 5 AG BIABS only now) and did 3 or 4 extract brews first with steeping specialty grains/adding hop pellets/us 05 yeast but wish i didnt bother in hindsight. All my brews had kit twang and i did everything in my favour to end up without this. Make sure you have your temp control for fermenting sussed use good yeast, sanitise correctly and just get straight into Ag Biab. The sooner you do the sooner you can make good if not excellent beer, it really is much tastier, cheaper, fun plus as easy as coooking a recipe for dinner and as stated above takes bugger all time in between the critical points. Goodluck

Wow. Thanks for the responses all.

I kind of expected a varied response but most of the thinking seems in line with what I want to do.

I have a couple of weeks before my drinking partner and I get the second batch underway so I can buy up some stock and go hard.

After reading other posts I am leaning towards:
1) Get the STC-1000 temperature control kit from ebay.
2) Build up my old chest freezer and immersion heater into a temperature controlled fermentor.
3) Buy a second fermentor so I can bulk prime easier.
4) This is the step I am still scratching over but I think I am going to buy a Birko or Crown and go the AG BIAB route. Why paddle just dive in a go for it :)

Wow. Thanks for the responses all.

4) This is the step I am still scratching over but I think I am going to buy a Birko or Crown and go the AG BIAB route. Why paddle just dive in a go for it :)

If you really want to dive in, buy Cockos big AG set up

Dont even know Cocko, but it would be good.
Cocko, if Punchus buys it, you owe mw a bottle of your best. ;)

If you really want to dive in, buy Cockos big AG set up

Dont even know Cocko, but it would be good.
Cocko, if Punchus buys it, you owe mw a bottle of your best. ;)

HAHA - Will do mate!

OT:

I think your plan/thoughts sound good Punchus.. temp controlled ferments improved my beers a lot more than you would think it would...

Start playing with hops in your kits. Go AG before you go kegging IMO, I would rather bottle AG then Keg kit beers - by all means, some kit beers can be great and I do not wish to kick that can - as I said My opinion.

Otherwise, just keep brewing and enjoying it! The rest will creep up on your before you know it.... You will turn around and be AG'ing in to kegs with 3 fridges and still thinking about the next upgrade to your rig! HA!

:icon_cheers:

You could get a 2nd fermenter, but personally I find cubes or jerrycans more useful. Probably cheaper too, depending where you can buy from.

HAHA - Will do mate!

OT:

I think your plan/thoughts sound good Punchus.. temp controlled ferments improved my beers a lot more than you would think it would...

Start playing with hops in your kits. Go AG before you go kegging IMO, I would rather bottle AG then Keg kit beers - by all means, some kit beers can be great and I do not wish to kick that can - as I said My opinion.

Otherwise, just keep brewing and enjoying it! The rest will creep up on your before you know it.... You will turn around and be AG'ing in to kegs with 3 fridges and still thinking about the next upgrade to your rig! HA!

:icon_cheers:

Cubes?

Like a 20l cleaning drum?

Thanks Cocko

I see a lot of sites talking about food quality plastic. I suppose any 20l+ drinking containers from Bunnings should do the trick.

I like the idea of the cubes as they should stack nicely in my chest freezer :)

Latest posts

Back