Next new S/S fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
304 Grade S/S.
Flush seam weld in the centre.
The tap is a std thread that screws on. They sell a std ball valve also for $15. I did not buy it to save money otherwise I would just use my plastic ones.
Apparently Olive Oil people are just as concerned about contamination as we are, funny that.
I dont sell these things and I dont make any money out of people buying them. If you dont like the idea.....dont buy one.

have some concerns about this unit
what grade of stainless steel are the using
304 Stainless steel
what are the welds are the using one owner reports the welds are excellent
does the tap come off yes
just concerned don't be

Thanks Batz :)

SJW said:
Thanks Batz :)

Sorry cobber I didn't see your reply before I posted.

Batz

Are welds really the devil when it comes to ss fermentors??. What is the worry? Genuinely curious.

2 owners

Batz said:
have some concerns about this unit
what grade of stainless steel are the using
304 Stainless steelwhat are the welds are the using one owner reports the welds are excellent does the tap come off yesjust concerned don't be

mje1980 said:
Are welds really the devil when it comes to ss fermentors??. What is the worry? Genuinely curious.
Same as threads on the taps...littles crevices in which beasties hide.

mje1980 said:
Welds can and will harbour evil bugs (wild yeast, bacteria, etc).
All welds need to be sanitary and not pitted.

Same for welds in any SS food vessel (dairy industry) or pharmaceutical vessel (for culturing)

If the weld seams aren't perfect, but the vessel is still cleaned and then sanitised using either starsan or boiling water - is that still an issue? Won't the vessel end up clean?

I said the weld is flush, perfect, flat, as if it's not even a weld, more shit could grown where the tap screws in, if you did not clean it for 30 years.
Please do not buy one if u think its a big scam.

SJW said:
I said the weld is flush, perfect, flat, as if it's not even a weld, more shit could grown where the tap screws in, if you did not clean it for 30 years.
Please do not buy one if u think its a big scam.
No, not at all - actually asking a question - I wasn't actually thinking about these vessels, but other ones - the question is a general one as I'm trying to weigh up options. If a weld isn't perfect, but the vessel is cleaned properly, why is that an issue?

Comparing a poor weld seam (as long as it is a decent weld, but not sanitary) to a plastic fermenter - the surface on them isn't really that flat either, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Now you've mentioned it though - I couldn't tell from the photos where the weld is - is it around the center of the height of the vessel?

Its not that big of an issue, ask the wine makers who have and still do ferment in concrete tanks full of imperfections, and dont get me started on wooden barrels.

Most people check cleanliness with their eyes also, if welds are hiding nasties, you wont see them, but if you know you have scrubbed, soaked and sanitized good, well there shouldnt be a problem.

I as well as alot of people ferment in plastic jerry's, I dont know how many people have looked at the bottom inside, but where they are plastic welded, there is a few little area's that hide scum, but soaking properly brings it loose.

Chill Lael, Chill.

I guess IF there are imperfect welds, be they metal or plastic, they can harbour residue.

Sure, maybe you can make that vessel sanitary (although there is a difference between sanitary and clean). But if a large point in you upgrading to a stainless fermenter is for zero "character" leeching from the fermenter itself (due to it being a porous, plastic material), would you really want your wort exposed to trub and crud that's been sitting there for months or potentially years?

So if you clean all the visible residue off with either cleaning agents or physical cleaning and then sanitize, is there actually still an issue?

wondering cause there seems to be a lot of concern about perfect welds and I agree in principle and aesthetically, but pragmatically am unsure it makes that much difference

Easy guys
i wasn't having a go either
just asking the questions
that i think we should ask yourselves
when you buy equipment
if it suits the needs then great
as with everything else
less chance of things going wrong if its sanitized
whatever the container
and the better the weld the less chance of places for bacteria to hide

nice to know people are concerned about this stuff and what they are putting there beer into

cheers

I don't see a big issue, especially with tig welding. If I saw the welds were smooth I'd be pretty happy with that. Stick welding with the slag etc and holes could be an issue but I doubt any ss pot or fermentor would be welded with a stick welder.

I'm curious because I work with a bloke who is a very good tig welder and Im toying with the idea of making up a ss square fermentor for my ferm fridge, eventually. One of those things you wouldn't normally do but due to opportunity might be possible.

lukec said:
It's a pretty nifty little sucker, it's just the knob on the end that you unscrew and it opens. It also turns so you can face it any direction you want.
1/2 silicon hose will fit perfectly over it and it's completely stainless except for the o-ring for sealing when you close it.
Could you remove the tap and take a pic please, Luke ?

And you mentioned it rotates whilst staying in place. Does that mean the inlet inside also rotates ?

I'm wondering if a pick up tube could be modified and fitted, similar to the racking tube on a brew bucket ?

If yours is full of wort right now, don't bother or it will all come out of the hole in which the tap was previously located.

Cheers, Dan

Latest posts

Back