Next new S/S fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I need a new fermenter so Mark put me on to these bad boys. From Winequip $130 + GST for 30 Litre and $30 for a non drip sample tap. I just need to check if it will fit in the fridge. 360mm o/a diameter I think if its the same one they sell at "the olive Centre"

Olive-oil-tank-lightweb.png

That looks the biz.... I had a look on their website but couldn;t find them... what do they call them?

Cheers
dave

I got the photo from another site caller 'the olive oil centre'. The tap is suppose to be the ducks nuts. All s/s with a central pin that gets pushed inside so the content flows out and around the valve so nothing can contaminate the contents.
It a bit of bling but s/s is so much easier to clean than plastic + s/s is a much better conductor compared with plastic in the fridge.

Not much info on them.

What quality stainless?
Are there weld seams?
What is the lid made of (able to drill a hole for airlock)?

Still, decent value for $176.

I just odered mine. $140 including GST, $30 for a s/s tap. The tap does not have a handle, it has a threaded knob on the front that screws into the tank and the contents flows out around the seal. Yes the welds are all food grade sealed welds. Cant wait. He did say that they are not the ones I posted a picture of from The Olive Oil Centre but almost the same. No blue plastic bits. Will post a photo when it turns up tomorrow or Friday.

STEVE

Interested to see how well they work.

What will you do for an airlock? Drill the SS lid?

SJW said:
I need a new fermenter so Mark put me on to these bad boys. From Winequip $130 + GST for 30 Litre and $30 for a non drip sample tap. I just need to check if it will fit in the fridge. 360mm o/a diameter I think if its the same one they sell at "the olive Centre"

I was looking at these

http://www.homemakeit.com.au/collections/olive-pickling-oil/Olive-Oil-Tank-With-Welded-Base

Looks like you may have a better price there, I think they would make an great fermenter. You just have to make sure they are a welded base not folded.

Batz

Interested to see more of this; please post detailed pics when it arrives!

:D

Now worries guys I will post picks.

Batz, Mark has seen one of these bad boys in the flesh and says they are the business. No folds anywhere and the only join is a weld half way up the vessel. Appearently olive oil is pretty presious stuff to store and does not take well to being exposed to air and other nasties.

I've looked at these too, and there is two standards, welded base is nice and smooth inside, folded still has a perfect airtight seal just a seam around the base inside that would make cleaning a bit difficult.

Bridges said:
I've looked at these too, and there is two standards, welded base is nice and smooth inside, folded still has a perfect airtight seal just a seam around the base inside that would make cleaning a bit difficult.
Could you post the photo's you took of these mate?

Bridges was good enough to check these drums out for me along with taking photos, much appreciated cobber. I'd say Bridges knows more about these drums than any of us.

Owe you a beer. :beerbang: :super:

Batz

I'm still a bit confused as to which way to go, I'll like the 50lt but the weight worries this old bloke.

I'm working out their way tomorrow and am going to drop in a if they look the good ill buy one and post some pics

SJW said:
Now worries guys I will post picks.

Batz, Mark has seen one of these bad boys in the flesh and says they are the business. No folds anywhere and the only join is a weld half way up the vessel. Appearently olive oil is pretty presious stuff to store and does not take well to being exposed to air and other nasties.
OK, keen to see the pictures, the tap as well please. I've got the funds ready for a couple of SS fermenters but I just can't decide which way to go.

Batz

I might have to drop in to HMI after work.

I need some yeast anyway....and a SS fermenter to put it in...

maybe it's just me, but I just can't see myself enjoying cleaning those vessels. most of the yeast scum will probably sit underneath that bent surface below the neck where it's hard to see and also in those crevices in the neck.

I'd much rather clean something with straight walls where I can actuall see what I'm doing and don't have to bend my hands to get to sort of hidden places.

EDIT: yes it's all doable, but I think there are better options out there, even in the same price range.

Latest posts

Back