New To Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strubes

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have just started AG brewing and have found that my brews aren't very alcholic. The first one I made was a fourx lager I was told to make ales until I got good at it but didn't listen, I have a brewing fridge so thought it couldn't be hard but have found that everything that I have brewed is light on alchol. I have beersmith so believe that the grain amount is correct but have found that the efficiency mustn't be right as the OG is low so the next brew I used extra grain which was a lager again still was low.

The third one had a OG of 1045 with a FG of 1025 which I realised was probably due to the temp of the mash which I had around 70 degrees.

The four one I had OG of about 1048 and I added a bit of dextro to try to get the alchol up which has been down for 2-3 weeks and hasn't gone below 1035 and the mash temp for this one was 67 degrees I have used a lager yeast with this one and the brewing temp is about 12 degrees but am thinking that it should be finished or lower gravity then it is now.

Both 3 and 4 brews were DrSmurto's Golden ale

They are tasting really nice but I am getting the shits as the beer is close to being a light and the time it takes to make it, I want full strength beer. I am getting a little over it.. :(

I have attached my setup so you can hopefully help I need it.. Please someone help me... :unsure:
homebrew_011.jpghomebrew_010.jpg
homebrew_014.jpghomebrew_015.jpg
homebrew_016.jpghomebrew_017.jpg
homebrew_018.jpg

Thanks Strubes

I used a swiss lager yeast from craft brewers for all of them but the third one which I bought a liquid american ale yeast.. the lagers I brewed at around 10-12 degrees and the ale at about 18 degrees

ok, well you need someone better than me :) cos thats all i had sorry. i wouldnt have thought that 70 deg would have finished it that high, but i certainly dont know for sure. hope someone chimes in with something more helpful. good lookin rig by the way, hope you dont give up on it all.

cheers
matt

How much grain/water are you using? are you measuring OG at room temp or while hot?

does your hydrometer read 1.000 in tap water?

Wow, now that's bizarre??!!.. Frustrating, I'm sure as you seem to have sufficient kit there to knock out quite adequate AG beer. :unsure:

My first thoughts are what you are using to i) measure temperature and ii) specific gravity? Also, how are you calculating volumes? What about masses, check your scales, that could yield those odd results too.

I'd be checking the temperature if it is just that Mashmaster dial thermometer, not knocking the product but it needs independent verification. Then verify your hydrometer's performance in tap water, as felten suggested.

i have one of those mashmaster thermos and i believe it to be about 2 degs out, however i rekn when it says 66deg it is really 64. which in this case that theory is defunct. definately a head scratcher, as you say a great kit, should be puching out pearlers. brings me back to my first thought that its a ferment issue, but that looks above board at face value too...

cheers
matt

edit - of course providing hydrometer isnt shagged

Sounds like a yeast issue.

You are not pitching enough, or not aerating the wort enough, or to low on the temp.

With pitching, make up a starter to increase the yeast quantity before pitching in the wort.

Aerate the wort well before pitching yeast. Yeast needs oxygen in the wort to multiply.

Too low a temp can cause the yeast to go slow.

Barry

Hello all,
I have just started AG brewing and have found that my brews aren't very alcholic. The first one I made was a fourx lager I was told to make ales until I got good at it but didn't listen, I have a brewing fridge so thought it couldn't be hard but have found that everything that I have brewed is light on alchol. I have beersmith so believe that the grain amount is correct but have found that the efficiency mustn't be right as the OG is low so the next brew I used extra grain which was a lager again still was low.

The third one had a OG of 1045 with a FG of 1025 which I realised was probably due to the temp of the mash which I had around 70 degrees.

The four one I had OG of about 1048 and I added a bit of dextro to try to get the alchol up which has been down for 2-3 weeks and hasn't gone below 1035 and the mash temp for this one was 67 degrees I have used a lager yeast with this one and the brewing temp is about 12 degrees but am thinking that it should be finished or lower gravity then it is now.

Both 3 and 4 brews were DrSmurto's Golden ale

They are tasting really nice but I am getting the shits as the beer is close to being a light and the time it takes to make it, I want full strength beer. I am getting a little over it.. :(

I have attached my setup so you can hopefully help I need it.. Please someone help me... :unsure:
View attachment 41717View attachment 41718
View attachment 41720View attachment 41721
View attachment 41722View attachment 41723
View attachment 41724

Thanks Strubes

yep, very true but i think he's covered most of those bases. and even if he missed the mark a bit i wouldnt have thought it would have thrown is fg's off so badly, but i could be wrong

cheers
matt[/quote]

Can you seek out a fellow nearby brewer to drop around and check out your brew process?

First question I have is, how do you get t wort from the MT to the kettle? I assume pump. Do you recalculate?

Second thought: MM temp gauges need calibration [As mentioned] when you get them and every few months after.. they come with instructions on how to do it, Boiling water method IMO is the best choice, easier than slush puppy method.

I have been delivered 3 over the years and all have been 2-4 degrees out.

Lastly, Did you really just make this post so you could show off your rig? because if you did - fair enough, great work and I hope you get the issues ironed out... Nice rig!

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

BTW: Do you recirculate the mash?

Strubes,
Don't give up now mate, it sounds like you have a basic issue or two to sort out. Brewing beer is easy believe me. The guys here will get you sorted, I'm a bit busy getting ready to go down to melbourne. If you click on the all grain and partials section, have a good read of the aussiehomebrewer brewing guide, which is airlocked a the top of the page. When I get back on sunday, I expect you to have it all sorted mate and I'll be in touch.

cheers

Browndog

I really doubt a yeast problem.Especially the dry yeast.

My first thought is a measurement problem.Not enough grain or bad efficiency.I expect you aren't extracting enough sugars to obtain your OG and thus FG.Could be numerous measurement faults.From scales,water volumes to thermometer.

Even at the mash temperatures you mention,with poor attenuation,the yeast will still make beer in the ABV range you want.
If the OG is OK.

yeah, but he's gettin og's of mid to high 40's. doesnt that mean grain extraction is not the issue?? its the fg's thats gettin all fkd up

matt

Some great advice here. 7 times out of 10 measurement is the issue - mash temp, weights/volumes and SG.
This leaves milling as a live option to look at on the efficiency front.
I tried some experiments with tempered (slightly moistened) milling last brew day. Didn't like the look of the crush but brewed anyway and efficiency was down a fair bit.

Mashing and sparging temps and procedure will effect attenuation of the yeast as far as I understand...

Edit: Sorry @ thesunsettree.

yeah, but he's gettin og's of mid to high 40's. doesnt that mean grain extraction is not the issue?? its the fg's thats gettin all fkd up

matt

Even with a SG of mid to high 1.040.(IF CORRECT) the FG will still be lower then 1.025(IF CORRECT) even with poor attenuation.

He said "tasting really nice",at them numbers it should taste sweet.

Yeast Management

Aye if you are doing lagers you should be pitching twice as much as you would for an ale, as a rule of thumb. Even more if the sachets are old/poorly stored.

44% attenuation with a 70c mash, and 27% with a 67c mash is highly unlikely though, like hoohaa said, if its really that poorly attenuated it should be tasting quite sweet.

Back