New To Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies guys.
It would appear that I have misread some information I have in regard to this.
On further reading it looks like the spreadsheet Barley Belly points to can be used for calculating SG from Brix in fermenting and finished beer.
I again apologise for the confusion.
More reading to do I guess.
Cheers
Nige

Cheers for clearing it up Nige :beer:
I'm only new to the refractometer game

This is what I do from start to finish....

I clean and sanitise all my gear and have a container with sanstar in it to rinse with. I fill up my urn with 40lt's of water then get the water up to around 83 degrees. I put all my crushed grain into the mashtun (I have a 12in false bottom in it) once the water has reached the temp I pump water into the mashtun. Once I have approx 15lt I stir/break up the lumps. the temp now is around 67-68 degrees. not sure if its best to put the grain in first then water?? does it matter if there is more water then the requirement?? I wait for an hour the temp only goes down about 2 degrees. after the hour I recirculate until clear then pump it into the kettle. after its drained I put about 30lt of 75 degree water into the grain, stir it around a bit and leave it for about ten minute then recirculate again then into the kettle. I then boil for about ten minutes the add first hops.....15 minute till flame out I add whirlfloc. after flame out I wait about 15 minutes then drain into the cube. next day I pour it into the fermenter and add the yeast. put into my fermenter fridge which is temp controlled.

The last recipe I made was a Golden ale below is the beersmith recipe

49lt water required
1.16 tbsp of PH5.2 stabilizer

Ingredients
3.26kg Pale Malt
1.05kg Wheat Malt
1.04kg Munich Malt
0.25kg Caramunich Malt

Mash Ingredients
Mash In: add 14.60lt of water at 83.4c
Hold at 67.8c for hour
Drain mashtun
Sparge with 34.42l of 75.6c water
add water to achieve boil volume 36.41lt
Est gravity: 1.040SG

Boil Ingredients

55 Min 25g Amarillo Gold
15 Min 1/2 WHirlfloc Tablet
7 Min 15g Amarillo Gold
3 Min 15g Amarillo Gold
0 Min 15g Amarillo Gold

Cool wort
add water to achieve volume of 22ltkSiphon wort to fermenter

1 pt of americian ale yeast

est gravity 1.054SG

Lastly thanks for the help on the alchol issue I have been having I tried the hydrometer and the read said that its FG is 1015 so I think you were all right the alchol is over 4% :D Hey Manticle and Nige what are the process that I'm a little off on. as I said I could do with a little help and you both seem to know your stuff.. :rolleyes:

Back