New To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamieman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Great site, I'm learning a lot.

Just put my third brew in the fermenter yesterday afternoon. Started okay (could hear it in the night), but temp had dropped to about 20 deg on the thermometer & fermentation stopped.
Brought the temp back to 22 deg & waited. Nothing wanted to happen until i gave the fermenter a bit of a swish from side to side. Now seems all good again. Foam building again & air lock active.
However, there seems to be a fair bit of sediment on the bottom of the fermenter (which i stirred up when i shook it) I don't recall there being this much this early in the last couple.
Brew has only been down for 24hrs.

Should i worry about it?

Cheers

No. Relax. Airlock bubbling is not a sign of fermentation. Learn this first!

Dropped to 20C?
If brewing much higher than that, I'm not surprised it's almost done and dusted....

edit....no need to mention airlocks...PoMo beat me there.

Thanks Guys,

I am new to this, so at present following the instructions (Loosely) included with the kit.
The two brews i have done so far i have fermented at 21-22 deg. Yeast was pitched at 24-25 deg.

Is 22 too high for the run of the mill Coopers Yeast?

20 is a good target for most yeasts. Sediment, foam, and dropping SG (as measured by hydrometer) are indicators of fermentation

Latest posts

Back