New to brewing - Which kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new to brewing... I don't even have any gear yet! I'm planning on gearing up soon, but wondering what gear experienced brewers would recommend for a first timer? Is there anything people often end up with that should be avoided?

It seems most people start off with a Coopers kit. Would that be a good way to go? I'm also open to sourcing some used gear or going down a more DIY route (what's more DIY than home brewing anyway?).

I'd love to get into all grain and BIAB down the line, but I've read people's advice about keeping things simple at first, and fully plan to try to stick to that motto.

So, what say the brew gods?

Ross

Where abouts in Melbourne are you?

Folks here could then recommend a local store that would supply your needs.

Any beers styles you're keen on?

I'd definitely recommend a local store over a coopers kit.

Not for any reason other than having a chat about the items you are buying and they can usually give you a sheet or something to guide you on what to do for better beer, not "easy" beer. Things like recommending healthy fermentation with temperature control etc.

It also starts up a bit of a relationship with the person running the store, which can be quite handy when you have issues, or need advice.

Coopers kit is a fine way to start and build up from there… if you want to jump right in get a big w pot and start steeping a few grains as well…

Thecpale ale can was my go to can when I started, fond memories indeed, steer clear of the brew enhancers and go all malt + hops and your winning…

Enjoy

If using a kit I'd recommend going to a home brew store as they sell Morgans kits. Morgans is owned by Coopers but is a store-only brand and I found them better hopped and more flavourful than Coopers. The Blue Mountain Lager is a popular one.

Good advice guys! I'm in Caulfield Nth...

My go to beer tends to be Cooper's Green, but I really like the hoppy, fruity american pale ales that are becoming more common at the moment i.e. Sierra Nevada.

I'm a beginner myself.
Yob said:
Coopers kit is a fine way to start and build up from there… if you want to jump right in get a big w pot and start steeping a few grains as well…
That's what I did.

As I've recently discovered, it seems you can't make a bad BIAB beer!

The whole setup can be had for:

Coopers Kit - $85 (you get a coopers kit beer with it you can whack on while you study up on BIAB).
Pot - $19
Swiss Voile - $10
No Chill Cube - $15.

You could delete the coopers kit and just buy a fermenter (just something with a tap and a bottling wand) for $30. That's like 2 slabs of beer!

Actually the American Pale Ales are the easiest style to brew using extracts or pimping up a kit as they are hop driven and the malt takes the back seat. Plenty of American hop varieties available here, and use an American style Ale yeast like US-05 and you are well on the way.

Avoid those hop "tea bags" - way overpriced, you can get 100g packs of hop pellets for far less.

Most will probably suggest otherwise but if you really want to just flat out start making some decent beer, I would recommend spending a couple of weeks reading about biab. Find out what set up suits you, read about peoples mistakes, learn before you make. Get yourself some gear and most definitely a fridge with an stc-1000 (thermostat). That way you will save your self a lot of time and money by giving yourself what you need from the get go, and the great thing is kits, steeping grains, extract, standard 3v brewing and what not will all make sense because you understand the entire process of how it is made.
That's just my 2c.

Don't live on the edge jump off it. go straight to grain.

I strongly recommend a wort kit from Grain and Grape or Keg King. Very easy and you will get better beer from it than any kit imo.If you are liking these worts then look at going further down that path. Great way to sink your teeth into it.

My advice would be to brew a few Fresh Wort Kits. Buy your gear from anywhere you feel comfortable, bearing in mind that LHBS' need our support to be viable, which in turn is good for competition, range of goods and price, which is all good for us brewers!

Brew these FWK's and get a feel for fermentation, temp control, bottling, yeast handling etc, before jumping into BIAB. Once you get into all grain, you really need to know why youre doing a single infusion mash at 65 one day and the next youre doing a 55 deg protein rest, shorter but higher 68 mash etc etc. You cant just follow a method, like baking a cake.

Besides, FWK's are great. They are so much simpler that Kit & Kilo and in my experience (have to be careful making statements on this forum) they are superior to cans. I have never had a great beer from cans - acceptable, but not great. I have had top notch beers from FWK.

echoing a lot of sentiments here mate, i would go straight into BIAB. my beers were amazing. i only did 2 kits beers and didn't like either of them (i know people can make killer kit beers however), but the whole process of BIAB is easy, and FUN! the smells, the grain, everything. it's my two cents. check out Nick's $30 BIAB thread and you'll see how easy it is after you've got your pot and grain bag!

like others have said Fresh Wort Kits are great, but whilst you (my assumption) don't know about the importance of temp control etc.. I would start making beer with kits to tune your fermentation, temp control and bottling.

Yob said:
Did not know that about morgans…
Off topic but:

"In September 2001, the company invested in Morgan's Brewing Company Pty Ltd ("Morgan's Brewing") through its acquisition of 60% of the company's issued capital for $1.5 million. The company's remaining 40% interest is held by two members of the company's senior management team. Morgan's Brewing operates in the home brew industry and predominantly markets to independent home brew outlets."

Gee guys, thanks heaps for all the advice - even if I am getting pulled in a few different directions!

Lots to think about, and clearly a wealth of knowledge on this site to sift through... I may start with a kit if for no other reason than it will be easier to start and less likely to be put off. If all goes well, I'll be BIABing after a couple of brews - Im getting pretty excited reading through the recipe data base!

Any Melbourne members have a suggestion on my closest HBS?

Good idea with the fresh wort kits. Probably best of going to grain and grape or ordering througu them online. There is brew craft in melbourne but the place is a rip off and I'm not personally the biggest fan of some of the staff. I'd think about ordering from craft brewer as well, there selection, website and ease of use is worth your time

for your initial, grab a coopers kit from kmart or the like, that'll give you a starting point

rossbaker said:
Gee guys, thanks heaps for all the advice - even if I am getting pulled in a few different directions!

Lots to think about, and clearly a wealth of knowledge on this site to sift through... I may start with a kit if for no other reason than it will be easier to start and less likely to be put off. If all goes well, I'll be BIABing after a couple of brews - Im getting pretty excited reading through the recipe data base!

Any Melbourne members have a suggestion on my closest HBS?
Seriously, get a fresh wort kit. Easier than messing with tins of goo, adding 'some kind' of fermentable, maybe boiling extra extract etc.
Just open the cube, pour it in, top up to 20ish litres, pitch the yeast and watch nature do its magic. Better end result too IMHO.
BONUS - when you do go to BIAB, you have a cube for no-chill, if you go that way. Theyre about $20 empty and this way, you get great beer with your cube purchase!

Latest posts

Back