New to brewing - Which kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mxd said:
for your initial, grab a coopers kit from kmart or the like, that'll give you a starting point
that's what i did. i can recommend it although DON'T use their instructions (with fermentation temperature) as it'll make a terrible tasting beer. ferment closer to 18C (not ~27C as they suggest) and you'll be right

Agree about the FWK's... however, just be mindful of the OG before topping up to 20ltrs as suggested.

I have a couple lying around for when I don't have time for a BIAB batch, but often only 14ltrs goes into the fermenter and the OG isn't as high as I initially thought. I use the St Peters Brewery Kits as they are the only ones I have managed to find in Perth.

If your starting out you might not mind, as the beer is supreme to any Kits I have ever done, but if you don't want to end up with a mid strength beer check the OG before topping up...

All of the FWK's I have brewed have been great.

Hi all, I thought a little update is in order...

After reading everyone's advice, I decided to support a LHBS and purchase a beginner's kit. The guys at One Stop Bar Shop in Mornington were really helpful and I bought the fermenter kit with the bench top capper, heater pad and bottling tree.

I've put down two brews and have been trying to find a spare evening to put down my third.

Brew 1: Morgans Lager kit that came with the fermenter

Brew 2: Blackrock Golden Ale, Malt Booster 15, POR hop tea bag, cascade hop tea bag dry hopped

Brew 3: Blackrock Golden Ale (again... They were half price), malt booster 20, 25 g cascade, 25 g citra. Not sure what boil schedule to go with r.e. the hops, but I'm open to suggestions. I love hoppy, aromatic ales.

Brew 4: I think it will be time to steep some grains...

Can't thank the fine folks on this forum enough. I've learned so much from this site and look forward to contributing myself as I gain a bit more experience.

I'm new to brewing too, I'm taking the easy path to start off with and sticking to the kit and kilo style of brewing, I bought my 2 brand new kits off gumtree and eBay(unwanted gifts) and they come with all the gear I needed to start brewing. This website is a fountain of knowledge and everyone seems pretty friendly too. Good luck with your decision.

I haven't tried these guys but their prices seem reasonable.
http://homemakeit.com.au/collections/beer-making/Brew-Tins

Or.....
http://www.kegking.com.au/ you will tend towards these guys once you move toward BIAB/AG. Ring them for their Tin stock.

Do Coopers or Morgans and get additional yeast (SAF US-05) and ditch the kit yeast.
SAF US-05 is perfect for an American Pale Ale. KK & G&G shops stock it.
Fresh worts are good but you don't learn much, I'd stick with the Tins for a couple of brews firstly. Just make sure your IMPROVE YOUR YEAST.

Or....

http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/index.php Worth the drive to Yarraville. Comprehensive stock. Go on saturday morning for an education on BIAB demo (see web for dates.)

Lastly, I've omitted some closer HBS. They wiil be good for tins but a bit pricey and not fair dinkum about all grain.

Good Luck. You will find many happy to help here.

Latest posts

Back