New member & new Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foonz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I thought I’d make a post as a new member to introduce myself and start a conversation about beginner brewing.

Today a friend and I bought a brew kit together and started our first brew. We began with a coopers pale ale malt extract and added cascade hops. It is currently in our fermenter with an immersion heater keeping it at about 24 degrees.

My only question is that there wasn’t a temperature on the instructions so we decided to leave the immersion heater and no change it’s original temperature. Is 24 degrees dangerous for the yeast or fermentation process?

IMG_0559.jpg

Greetings Foonz, is it the Coopers kit yeast you are using, I generally ferment at between 18 and 20degrees C but I believe with the kit yeasts you can go around the 24 degrees C.

Last edited:
If if you raising the temp, rap a towel or blanket around the brew. This will help hold steadier temps and less switching on of the heater.
At that temp you should be done in under 5 days.

Greetings Foonz, is it the Coopers kit yeast you are using, I generally ferment at between 18 and 29 degrees C but I believe with the kit yeasts you can go around the 24 degrees C.

Thank you for the warm welcome. It is the coopers yeast. Currently the fermenter is at my mates house doing its thing. He messaged me this morning to tell me that the temps dropped overnight to 18 degrees. The heater is plugged in and turned on but seems that it isn’t heating, is this normal?
IMG_0560.jpg

If if you raising the temp, rap a towel or blanket around the brew. This will help hold steadier temps and less switching on of the heater.
At that temp you should be done in under 5 days.

At the moment no towel or anything but do you think that’s what we need to do? I am worried the temp variance and changing so much isn’t going to be good for our beer.

welcome to the forum Foonz. You will like the cascade hops.

Latest posts

Back