New Liquid Yeasts In Perth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another potential plus is that these guys are more likely to be more responsive to consumer requests. Our voices are lost in the huge American market, but with these guys we might actually be heard.

1469 permanently available, re-introduction of the Leuven strain, the wish list goes on........it can't hurt to ask.

Contact details are on the web. I have sent them to Neville

Another one I would LOVE to see is a version of the Southwold Ale strain. WLP used to do it as a Platinum Series but recently pulled the plug. It is the best ale yeast I have used by a country mile. Supposedly Wyeast British Ale II is meant to be the same, but I tried that and while its nice, its not the same strain...

Contact details are on the web. I have sent them to Neville
Thanks: much appreciated! :beer: I would imagine we should have some stock after Easter and some news on whats available.If they operate like Wyeast, you place your order and they propagate that yeast up for you.Takes about a week.
GB

Let me know what you get in stock Neville and I'll arrange a drop in on the way home some day.

Back in stock at Malthouse now - picked up a Cal Ale today. Will pitch this afternoon.

picked up a proculture 18 today which is the classic wyeast 3068/wlp300 equivalent.

there is a *lot* of yeast in this baby, the proculture test tube is approx 80% full!!!

ive only pitched half of it onto a starter, leaving the rest for another 4-6 generations....10-12 generations for $10!! :p

Back in stock at Malthouse now - picked up a Cal Ale today. Will pitch this afternoon.

Sorry - it was a "American Sierra Nevada Ale" yeast (PRO-10) which I'm presuming is a 1056/WLP001/US-05 equivalent.

Checked my APA (with this yeast today). It went bonkers to begin with (even at 18C!), but has now slowed down. Nearly done, very happy so far. There was a good 30ml of yeast in the tube.

I'll be trying some of the others in the coming months :)

Colin - which of your strains is the equivalent of WY3787 / WLP530 (Westmalle origin) ?

With the amount of questions about yorky 1469 around I'm surprised noone has asked about an equivalent for it yet :)

Pitched a bavarian lager (Pro27) at 15C straight from the vial and it was away in about six hours and multiplying enthusiastically 24 hours later at 12C. This stuff looks really promising.
I've been drinking this for a couple of days after 8 days at 12/11C, 3 days at18C then a week in a jerry at 4C. The resulting beer is clear and a most satisfactory flavour. Better get started on another as this will disappear fast.

Any news on any of the usual suspects stocking the ProCulture range??

Yeah.. I don't know if you can simply go on volume. Whitelabs state that there yeast is concentrated, so while it may look like there is more yeast in the ProCulture vial there may well not be.

Although alot of people are reporting that they are witnessing very short lag times so they may well contain a very high cell count.

If you assume it's fresh yeast you should be able to go on volume of the white compact layer. I think when WL say it's concentrated, its probably just clearing up that although a wyeast smack pack contains more liquid, that liquid contains nutrient and stuff, whereas a WL tube is predominantly yeast cells.

According to this http://www.bjcp.org/cep/WyeastYeastLife.pdf a claculation on p39 says there is about 1 billion cells per ml of slurry. So 30ml ~ 30bn cells. I think wyeast smackpacks advertise 100bn. Not sure about WL.

The equivalent of the WLP530 is PRO-87. The PRO-10 is a WLP001 equiv. A lot of the yeasts behave in the way you mention. They chomp into the simple sugars first, increase in cell quantity, and then slow and get into chewing through the earlier by products and more complex sugars.
Cheers
Colin

Sorry - it was a "American Sierra Nevada Ale" yeast (PRO-10) which I'm presuming is a 1056/WLP001/US-05 equivalent.

Checked my APA (with this yeast today). It went bonkers to begin with (even at 18C!), but has now slowed down. Nearly done, very happy so far. There was a good 30ml of yeast in the tube.

I'll be trying some of the others in the coming months :)

Colin - which of your strains is the equivalent of WY3787 / WLP530 (Westmalle origin) ?

Any idea what kind of cell count that equates to?

There is 1x 10^9 cells per millilitre in the yeast slurry. I worry when I see people adding less than the full amount, only as some have not shaken them up thoroughly before using them, and don't get the amount of cells that they think are using, and then results vary. As long as you shake them thoroughly, and then decant out want you want to use, and let that reach room temp before pitching everything should run well. Its just like the smack packs, they sit at room temp before pitching. The yeast activate and don't get a temperature shock.
Cheers
Colin
PS make sure you don't leave the lids down tight on the vials at room temp, or leave them too long, they blow off like champagne corks when the yeast wake up and start out on the nutrients in the solution.

Back