New Liquid Yeasts In Perth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine as proculture grows, the productions costs will drop. one of the most basic principles in the business world, the more units one produces, the cheaper the unit cost will be. I'll be grabbing proculture if i can.

It's just great to have another option. And being australian, they deserve a good go. The more we get behind them, the more we'll get from them.
As we've seen so many times before, people will spend weeks organising a bulk buy, to save $10. You should be able to save that now on just 2 vials of aus yeast.
Oh and i live in perth now. So lucky me...

:lol: clearly you are not a rocket surgeon... AUD/USD has depreciated roughly 30%. Now go and calculate the % price rise....

What the hell is a Rocket Surgeon :D

Rook

:lol: I didn't even notice that. Someone who operates on rockets? :p

Rocket Surgeon is similar to a Brain Scientist, just a bit of switcheroo going on.

:icon_cheers: SJ

I know somebody who worked at a Baker's as a Donut-Jammer but that's another story. B)

Warren -

to buy 1USD it used to cost us about $1.02, now it costs $1.42. That's a 40% increase, not 30%. And similarly, CB price of wyeast, going from 9.80 is a 42% increase -- pretty close IMO. Doesn't bother me, MHB is my local and sells them for $12.95 a pop.

Very true Sammus, but the only problem is this assumes the yeast is being sold at cost. Its a base-effect issue. Using a hypothetical cost of say $5 per pack, the AUD depreciation would have caused an increased AUD cost to the retailer of around $2 per pack. Yet the price has increased by double that. Essentially what has happened is the new price has been calculated using the retail price, not the cost price.

This is actually quite common I have found. The other time you see it is when you hear something like "wholesale grain prices will increase by 30% next month" and then you discover that retail prices have actually increased by 30%. Nobody ever really thinks about it, but essentially the retailer is not just increasing prices to account for the rise in costs, but is also raising their profit margin by the same percentage.

Anyway, enough of these discussions, the best part about this thread is its an Aussie product so will not be subject to any of these exchange rate shenanigans!

Very true Sammus, but the only problem is this assumes the yeast is being sold at cost. Its a base-effect issue. Using a hypothetical cost of say $5 per pack, the AUD depreciation would have caused an increased AUD cost to the retailer of around $2 per pack. Yet the price has increased by double that. Essentially what has happened is the new price has been calculated using the retail price, not the cost price.

This is actually quite common I have found. The other time you see it is when you hear something like "wholesale grain prices will increase by 30% next month" and then you discover that retail prices have actually increased by 30%. Nobody ever really thinks about it, but essentially the retailer is not just increasing prices to account for the rise in costs, but is also raising their profit margin by the same percentage.

Anyway, enough of these discussions, the best part about this thread is its an Aussie product so will not be subject to any of these exchange rate shenanigans!
Wait until we bring in the new West Australian Peso system , then you will be paying way more gringo's. :p
Off for a siesta.
GB

Absolutley :) - where was I discouraging competition, did I miss something :unsure: ?
We actually entered the market with $9.80 Smack packs with a bigger margin than we have today - If the dollar returns, so will the price. Hopefully we'll have both products available, having the best choice available has always been what CraftBrewer is about.

cheers ross

I keep forgetting how the exchange rate effects the price of US products. That's another of my rants, when the computer games I play are still $100 when the aussie dollar was so strong compared to the US....

I like seeing a retailer passing on exchange rate savings to the consumer.

i don't see the problem with this.

Profit margins are a percentage. Someone doesn't take a $2 profit on both a $10 item and a $10,000 item.

When a product's cost goes up, the investment by the business in that product goes up too and so the business should demand the same return on their money.

Anyway, i am excited by the prospect of 88 different strains of yeast, can't wait for the website to be up

i don't see the problem with this.

Profit margins are a percentage. Someone doesn't take a $2 profit on both a $10 item and a $10,000 item.

I don't know why I am replying, this thread is already off topic enough. We are not talking about a difference in price of thousands of dollars, we are talking about a small exogenous increase in cost. Yet the retailer seems to think they deserve an increase in profit as well, for doing absolutely nothing! Its just a pet hate of mine...

Ok enough! Lets get back on topic!

I think somebody mentioned something about $10 but that may not be the finished article.

So presumably there will also be quite a few genuinely new cultures in the selection too, given that there seems to be a bigger selection than the US brands offer. This is exciting! :D

Back