Pro V Amateur - Who Has The Real Advantage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this is true, but a little off topic don't you think?
:icon_offtopic:

I am usually vocal in the actual home brewing community, and have now chosen to do so in the online community because a lot of our members are on here.

Just for arguments sake, I shall email David tomorrow and inquire from which regions he purchases the malt. Would you like to know who transports it also?

I see why the comment on your profile is please leave.........

And back to the topic at hand, these commercial issues only really came up as a major thing this year. The fresh wort issue has been tossed around for a while.

Its sad that Blmn Mvls feels this way. Obviously the poster feels insignificant in some way and feels better in justifying that a commercial brewer has entered a HB comp and peddling their wares!

Sure give david a call, perhaps you should mention influenza?

cheers

the_new_darren

The fact is his beer didn't win, the reserve also beat his beer. Next year I would say that it will be a stated rule that entries must be brewed at home and by the entrant. (there is something along the latter lines, but i'm not going looking for it).

I just don't take well to abrasive people at this hour of the night.

However, this subject will be resolved shortly so it will become therefore a non-issue.

The fact is his beer didn't win, the reserve also beat his beer.

He may not have won Champion Beer but from the published results in one of your previous posts in another thread

QAAWBG QAAWBG
Reserve Champion Brewer 2011 Champion Brewer 2011
Janelle Kerr LABG 22 Points Ross Kenrick BABB 37 Points

and

George Dowie Trophy Ross Kenrick BABB

:unsure:

edit: clarity.

Champion Beer and Champion Brewer are different. He entered more beers than me.

RULES AND CONDITIONS
Entries must be the product of the person entering

Does that include those made by a person employed by the person that entered them but it's ok bcs he owns the commercial equipment used in their production??

I don't go in comps or intend to ever, so feel free to disregard this completely, but why not have a category to cover home brewed all grain beers? You could allow for adjuncts as they fit a certain description that excludes anything created as a brew kit (FWK, Goop tins etc).

I could care less about any other category. Are there really comps for who makes the best Coopers kits for example? Or who makes the best FWK? Seems pretty stupid.

I could care less about any other category. Are there really comps for who makes the best Coopers kits for example? Or who makes the best FWK? Seems pretty stupid.

It's all in the way you sprinkle the yeast. Previous winners have been shown to use a left-handed, sprinkle resembling the Queen's wave.

Seriously though - if you employ people to make FWKs and take them home to ferment them ... the victory is going to be either a bit hollow, or a great marketing ploy, dunno which, probably both.

It's all in the way you sprinkle the yeast. Previous winners have been shown to use a left-handed, sprinkle resembling the Queen's wave.

Seriously though - if you employ people to make FWKs and take them home to ferment them ... the victory is going to be either a bit hollow, or a great marketing ploy, dunno which, probably both.
Marketing ploy... Quite clever really.

Yeah I dunno, does anyone take these comps heaps seriously? It'd be interesting to 'audit' the process by deliberately entering some re-bottled commercial beers that are widely regarded as perfect examples of category.

If people can't enter a FWK because someone else made the worth then can you not enter an AG if someone else malted the grain? What if someone else grew the grain or hops. What if someone in your local council is responsible for maintaining the quality of your water supply?

IMHO (as someone who's never entered a comp and is new to the scene) I think that a good beer is a good beer. Quite frankly I don't care if it was made in 20L or 2000L batch. If a FWK is better than your AG then maybe you need to get some pro-tips from Ross about making your AG better.

I have attended one BABBs meeting (been meaning to get back) and have tasted one of the beers that Ross entered into a mini comp. It has to be one of the best beers I've ever tasted and that's all that matters to me.

At the end of the day it's a hobby and comps are for fun and education (IMHO). If we can learn from people that brew beer every day then that's a bonus.

Cheers,

Ed

If people can't enter a FWK because someone else made the worth then can you not enter an AG if someone else malted the grain? What if someone else grew the grain or hops. What if someone in your local council is responsible for maintaining the quality of your water supply?

IMHO (as someone who's never entered a comp and is new to the scene) I think that a good beer is a good beer. Quite frankly I don't care if it was made in 20L or 2000L batch. If a FWK is better than your AG then maybe you need to get some pro-tips from Ross about making your AG better.

I have attended one BABBs meeting (been meaning to get back) and have tasted one of the beers that Ross entered into a mini comp. It has to be one of the best beers I've ever tasted and that's all that matters to me.

At the end of the day it's a hobby and comps are for fun and education (IMHO). If we can learn from people that brew beer every day then that's a bonus.

Cheers,

Ed

I'm sorry, I find your reasoning flawed, though I applaud what you say about it being for fun. And honestly, I reckon that it should be open to all brewers even professional.

But as the rules stand, as commonsense says and in the spirit of sportsmanship - FWK cannot be in.

Saying that "If people can't enter a FWK because someone else made the worth then can you not enter an AG if someone else malted the grain?" doesn't make sense. It's like saying to a pastry chef that if he doesn't grind his own flour or churn his own butter, then he's not making a pastry. Or that someone who goes to Aldi, gets a pastry from the freezer and puts it in the oven, is equivalent in skill to him.

FWK "brewing" involves no control over ingredients, process, creativity, brewing skill or anything else, except in the choice of yeast (if they do choose it). The same as reheating a pastry in the oven requires little cooking skill.

I would feel deeply offended if my brother (who uses FWK because he's too lazy to brew) said to me that he has as much brewing skill as me. Fortunately, despite his lazy streak, he does have some common sense.

As I stated, I reckon that comps should be open to all - I would like to challenge any pro brewer/brewery and I reckon that some brewers here (who are truly amateur) would have the measure of many pros.

Goomba

The way I see it the analogy is false because brewers (commercial and home all grain brewers) aren't farmers. Brewers pretty much choose ingredientas (grains, hops, yeast, water, adjuncts) and use them. They don't have to make the base ingredients.

However you should actually have to brew to be in a brewing comp, and adding yeast isn't brewing.

wouldn't it be easier to have just 2 categories - pre-bittered & uh, not pre-bittered

it would cover every type of brewing - if any part of the ingredients were boiled by a commercial entity to impart bitterness, you go into a group together

just sayin...

Latest posts

Back