New Liquid Yeasts In Perth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, but this doesn't address the question that was asked about postage - I live in Victoria, so I too am interested to know:
- what are likely postage costs to melb. The vials themselves at $10 are good value, but if postage is a few dollars then I would rather buy Wyeast locally
- while there 1*10^9 cells in a vial when it leaves proculture, how many do you think will be viable after a trip across the nullabor? What if the postman leaves the vial in the mail box all day?
Thanks

If packaged with icepacks (which GB's are) there shouldn't be an issue. The postage is Express from what I gather so only 24hrs or so on the road, which the icepacks will handle easily. Some online retailers don't include icepacks which I think is crazy. As you say, its very easy for the postie to leave your package in the sun or something, which could be the end of the yeast!

OK, but this doesn't address the question that was asked about postage - I live in Victoria, so I too am interested to know:
- what are likely postage costs to melb. The vials themselves at $10 are good value, but if postage is a few dollars then I would rather buy Wyeast locally

Well shipping is bound to cost a few bucks, but you could always combine it with another purchase if you were ordering from a HBS.

I mail order a fair bit of stuff from Craftbrewer and even with shipping it works out cheaper than buying from my local store.

[quote post='501447' date='Aug 5 2009, 07:14 PM']I have some "special yeast" coming the end of this week but more on that later, Im off now to learn my BJCP judging, PP will be there :icon_drunk:
GB[/quote]

hmmm "special" yeast better get me some of that!!
Was about to place an order to you for a couple of yeasts and some hops to fill up the bag, but maybe I should wait a day or 2.

My BIAB baggie got posted Monday c.o.b and arrived Wednesday Morning. The tyrrany of distance no more :) If this special yeast is what I think it might be I'll be ordering some for sure. Ordering early in the week is surely the best timing so stuff doesn't sit in depots over the weekend.

Although it doesn't seem to be listed for every strain, for some it does mention a "similar to" comparison on GB's site. Perhaps this will become standard across their range once the full set of strains come on board?

Although it doesn't seem to be listed for every strain, for some it does mention a "similar to" comparison on GB's site. Perhaps this will become standard across their range once the full set of strains come on board?
I sure when all the yeasts are finally gene mapped or what ever they do, then there can be a definite comparison list.Until then they will be recommendations based on each yeast characteristics.Like if a yeast is described as West Yorkshire Ale yeast you can pretty much guess where it came from and how it will behave. I think the yeast companies all get their strains from the same yeast banks/bottles etc .
GB

I'd be interested to hear if anyone in the eastern states (QLD?) has ordered these yeasts yet and what condition they arrived in. From what I understand, they're packaged pre-mixed with nutrient, so I'm not convinced that the gel-packs can keep them cool enough even for the 24 hrs required to express post them from WA.

I too am keen to try out the Charlie P's Cry Havoc.

I've ordered some 1469 wannabe so let's see how the cow sits in the cabbage patch :)

If premixed though wouldn't that blow the tube anyway, as with the smack pack puffing up? I would have thought they were more like Whitelabs in packaging?

I've ordered some 1469 wannabe so let's see how the cow sits in the cabbage patch :)

If premixed though wouldn't that blow the tube anyway, as with the smack pack puffing up? I would have thought they were more like Whitelabs in packaging?

Please let me know how you get on Bribie. Not sure about Whitelabs packaging - only ever used Wyeast myself.

Please let me know how you get on Bribie. Not sure about Whitelabs packaging - only ever used Wyeast myself.

Neville emailed me to say that the yeasts are being posted this afternoon. My Gryphon BIAB bag arrived in around 36 hours :eek: so not too much tyranny of distance nowadays.

I can feel a Yorkie coming on B)

Edit: speling tyranny aint tyrrany.

Neville emailed me to say that the yeasts are being posted this afternoon. My Gryphon BIAB bag arrived in around 36 hours :eek: so not too much tyranny of distance nowadays.

I can feel a Yorkie coming on B)

Edit: speling tyranny aint tyrrany.
Just got back from the Post office.Yeast left with four gel ice cells attached.Two yeasts are good for a 500 gms post satchel as I can add the Ice cells and then wrap them up well.Some gone to Sydney as well today. I have had them to Victoria before and they arrive chilled.Looks like its all working ok at this time of the year.
GB

You have sent Wyeast to me before GB and it has turned up nice and cold. Those gel packs are bloody effective.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone in the eastern states (QLD?) has ordered these yeasts yet and what condition they arrived in. From what I understand, they're packaged pre-mixed with nutrient, so I'm not convinced that the gel-packs can keep them cool enough even for the 24 hrs required to express post them from WA.

I too am keen to try out the Charlie P's Cry Havoc.

Well , not from QLD but definately eastern states.

bought mine from Gryphonbrewing and they were still very cold when they arrived.
Have since made a brew with one of the vials purchased and all went to plan.
In fact, starter fired up much quicker than a Wyeast usually does.

In fact, starter fired up much quicker than a Wyeast usually does.

How quick is quick BB?
I thinks strain, starter size, temp, starter o/g are all within reason, relevant.
Wyeast & Whitelabs yeast have the score on the board. Proculture looks good, and I`ll be giving em a go soon.
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves and start the "mine is bigger than yours" shite

I suppose the startup time depends on how many billions of cells come out of the pack and how you prepare them for 'injection'. With Wyeast Green Packet Activator, although they state that the yeast can be directly innoculated, and also have a disclaimer on their website:

Our Product Warranty states that we guarantee the viability of the yeast in our Activator packages for 6 months from the manufacture date assuming that they have been properly shipped, stored and handled. Our superior packaging material provides 100% oxygen barrier and UV light protection making this exceptional guarantee possible. During this 6 month guaranteed shelf life, some loss of viability is to be expected. This will vary from one strain to another. Activator packages that are 4 months old or older may require additional time to swell after activation.

Checking on one of the sponsors' website I see that most of the Wyeast is extremely fresh so there should be no 'yeast morbidity' problems.

I usually do a starter with some LDME for about 24 hours and get the booger working hard before pitching. I'll do the same with the Proculture and see what happens and will report on this thread.

I suppose the startup time depends on how many billions of cells come out of the pack and how you prepare them for 'injection'. With Wyeast Green Packet Activator, although they state that the yeast can be directly innoculated, and also have a disclaimer on their website:

Our Product Warranty states that we guarantee the viability of the yeast in our Activator packages for 6 months from the manufacture date assuming that they have been properly shipped, stored and handled. Our superior packaging material provides 100% oxygen barrier and UV light protection making this exceptional guarantee possible. During this 6 month guaranteed shelf life, some loss of viability is to be expected. This will vary from one strain to another. Activator packages that are 4 months old or older may require additional time to swell after activation.

Checking on one of the sponsors' website I see that most of the Wyeast is extremely fresh so there should be no 'yeast morbidity' problems.

I usually do a starter with some LDME for about 24 hours and get the booger working hard before pitching. I'll do the same with the Proculture and see what happens and will report on this thread.
I did a 4L starter with Pro-10, the booger took off ! I used anti foam and it still got a 4" head on it. Havent seen that before.
GB

All things being equal, it stands to reason that yeast cultured in locally would be fresher than that cutured overseas, and I guess that should translate to a faster start to fermentation.

Another point is that the yeast is raised on brewers wort in the lab, apparently this deceases the lag phase as the yeast doesn't have to adapt to a new medium.
GB

All things being equal, it stands to reason that yeast cultured in locally would be fresher than that cutured overseas, and I guess that should translate to a faster start to fermentation.

Wyeast (& i assume whitelabs) only takes 3 to 4 days to get here freshly made from the States. Viability is more likely going to be down to storage conditions & length of time in the store.

Cheers Ross

Back