New Liquid Yeasts In Perth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We now have a small range of Proculture yeasts listed on the site , more will be added as they become availble, later this week I hope.Hit the link at the bottom of this post. .or HERE . V
GB

I have not had the opportunity to use the yeast yet as they have just arrived and being that there are so many to try I have had to go on other brewers recommendations, which are all very good reviews. I will be brewing an APA, Shock Horror ,Yes its my very firsty APA ever and I'm looking forward to using the Proculture Pro-10 with Simcoe and Amarillo and possibly some Warrior.You never know I may take out the best APA/Ale at next years PRBS.
GB

We now have a small range of Proculture yeasts listed on the site , more will be added as they become availble, later this week I hope.Hit the link at the bottom of this post. .or HERE . V
GB

Great news GB!

That "Brewer's Mate" strain sounds like an interesting one. Has anybody tried the WLP version of this yeast (862)? Does it do a good job of both ales and lagers? Could be very interesting.

I have not had the opportunity to use the yeast yet as they have just arrived and being that there are so many to try I have had to go on other brewers recommendations, which are all very good reviews. I will be brewing an APA, Shock Horror ,Yes its my very firsty APA ever and I'm looking forward to using the Proculture Pro-10 with Simcoe and Amarillo and possibly some Warrior.You never know I may take out the best APA/Ale at next years PRBS.
GB

If you dont end up liking the APA ill help you out with that. It will be no problem at all.... LOL! mmmmm GB APA...

GB

Hi GB - I've had a look a your site and also at Proculture. Just a question on the phials. Are they the same 50ml pet container as WLP? How many ml of actual yeast does the phial contain apart from the liquid? Any feedback on how they survive postage to the eastern states.?

Cheers, Hoges.

Hi GB - I've had a look a your site and also at Proculture. Just a question on the phials. Are they the same 50ml pet container as WLP? How many ml of actual yeast does the phial contain apart from the liquid? Any feedback on how they survive postage to the eastern states.?

Cheers, Hoges.
Hoges First with the cell count, I will quote Proculture :"There is 1x 10^9 cells per millilitre in the yeast slurry. I worry when I see people adding less than the full amount, only as some have not shaken them up thoroughly before using them, and don't get the amount of cells that they think are using, and then results vary. As long as you shake them thoroughly, and then decant out want you want to use, and let that reach room temp before pitching everything should run well. Its just like the smack packs, they sit at room temp before pitching. The yeast activate and don't get a temperature shock."
Cheers
Colin
So there is more than adequate yeast cells for direct pitching for 19-25 litres of "normal" strength wort.The actual yeast ml by sight varies in the vial because of the differing size of yeast cells.
The Packaging is in a transition stage, the vials now are similar to White labs in that they are 50ml and the same shape but there is a gradual change to a larger more squat container, this will allow more room for gas build up with out getting a gushing affect when opening.I recommend shaking when cold to mix the yeast the put it back in the fridge to cool, release the pressure when cold, then let warm to room/wort temp then pitch.
GB

Great news GB!

That "Brewer's Mate" strain sounds like an interesting one. Has anybody tried the WLP version of this yeast (862)? Does it do a good job of both ales and lagers? Could be very interesting.

God T.D., use the fcuking search button will you.

If T.D. had used the search function, this is what he would have found

:p

:icon_offtopic: Will be down in September and December (don the robe to pick up a degree) - lets have a beer. Booked an apartment at Star City for a few days.

God T.D., use the fcuking search button will you.

If T.D. had used the search function, this is what he would have found

:p

:icon_offtopic: Will be down in September and December (don the robe to pick up a degree) - lets have a beer. Booked an apartment at Star City for a few days.

:lol: Point taken! Truth be told, I did try to search but typed in "WLP868" instead of 862 - might explain the lack of results. :rolleyes:

Looks like a promising yeast, definitely one I would like to try. Sounds like it might be better as an English Ale yeast almost when fermented at ale temps. Did you ever try it at lager temps?

And yes, a graduation beer sounds like just the ticket mate! Congrats at getting the official nod from the uni too. Its a good feeling huh! Now we will have to call you Dr Duff!

The Packaging is in a transition stage, the vials now are similar to White labs in that they are 50ml and the same shape but there is a gradual change to a larger more squat container, this will allow more room for gas build up with out getting a gushing affect when opening.
GB

Thanks GB - Will the squat containers be flat bottom? Would appreciate you posting a future pic if the newy differs considerably from WLP.

Cheers, Hoges.

Thanks GB - Will the squat containers be flat bottom? Would appreciate you posting a future pic if the newy differs considerably from WLP.

Cheers, Hoges.
Hoges The new containers are flat bottomed, bit like those small jam jars that every body gives there granny at Christmas.They are fully autoclave-able and can be reused many times which is great for us tree huggers :icon_cheers: I dont have an image right now but will see what I can do.
GB

Well done GB, I'm keen to give you a go !

Batz

great strain list. If I can order them online then I will give them ago. Keen on some of your wine yeast for work. 2 strains of bayanus!

I got a trojan horse alert when I went to the proculture links page and clicked on mash microbrewery!

great strain list. If I can order them online then I will give them ago. Keen on some of your wine yeast for work. 2 strains of bayanus!

I got a trojan horse alert when I went to the proculture links page and clicked on mash microbrewery!
Just to avoid confusion you mean the Proculture site not Gryphon Brewing site . I have no links on my site.
GB

The Packaging is in a transition stage, the vials now are similar to White labs in that they are 50ml and the same shape but there is a gradual change to a larger more squat container, this will allow more room for gas build up with out getting a gushing affect when opening.I recommend shaking when cold to mix the yeast the put it back in the fridge to cool, release the pressure when cold, then let warm to room/wort temp then pitch.
GB
OK, but this doesn't address the question that was asked about postage - I live in Victoria, so I too am interested to know:
- what are likely postage costs to melb. The vials themselves at $10 are good value, but if postage is a few dollars then I would rather buy Wyeast locally
- while there 1*10^9 cells in a vial when it leaves proculture, how many do you think will be viable after a trip across the nullabor? What if the postman leaves the vial in the mail box all day?
Thanks

OK, but this doesn't address the question that was asked about postage - I live in Victoria, so I too am interested to know:
- what are likely postage costs to melb. The vials themselves at $10 are good value, but if postage is a few dollars then I would rather buy Wyeast locally
- while there 1*10^9 cells in a vial when it leaves proculture, how many do you think will be viable after a trip across the nullabor? What if the postman leaves the vial in the mail box all day?
Thanks

I get yeast sent from interstate via mail - wrapped then packed in techni ice.
One delivery was left on my back doorstep all day in the sun.
techni ice and yeast both still cold when I got home.
So shipping shouldn't be a problem if you can arrange that sort of packing from
proculture or one of their resellers.

Anyone know if there's a Proculture/Wyeast substitute list anywhere yet?

I'd be interested in trying a couple of the strains they list also, so hopefully someone will
offer a chilled mailout option soon.

Back