New KegLand - Multi/Universal Ball Lock Keg Post - WIN FREE STUFF

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newer ones do, I have one that fits both gas and liquid disconnects

So do mine (they're all stainless too), but they don't fit as well with one disconnect as they do with the other.

CIP works well/fine on a corny if you pump/blast water up the center (without the lid on) with a ball and pump water up both posts, draining back out the center lid. See SS Brewtech's take on what hundreds of homebrewers have been doing for years with all manner of sump and smaller pumps.

CIP is Clean In Place, makes lots of sense with bigger tanks that you cant easily pick up and move, but if you are thinking of applying it to Corny kegs it would mean cleaning the keg in the fridge, without moving it - not really necessary.
If you mean some sort of keg cleaner, that's a very different idea to CIP, be worth looking at how small brewers clean their 50L kegs, its a pretty well established process, Blow out, Rinse, Hot Caustic, Rinse, Sanitise, Pressurise... Probably a few more blow out cycles in there to.
Mark

I'd replace the three I have in my wall for cleaning:

One runs high concentration line cleaner,
One runs water
One runs gas (for keg and line purging)

I'd just have the one turret on the wall (or maybe a few in parallel), hooked up to three button valves so I can just hit the line with the right agent with the flick of a button.

Andy

CIP is Clean In Place,

Yes, you have to flip/move the keg. What I should have said was that the business hardware can be the same as used for CIP on an object that remains truly stationary.

The easiest semi-automated keg cleaning process for a home brewer is a spray ball and recirculating pump that can be dropped into different buckets. It's a lot more costly to mimic a commercial keg cleaning system with multiple tanks and 3-way valves where the keg remains stationary.

The point is however that a corny can be just as conveniently washed as a Sanke for the home brewer.

Shure, you are just talking about a basic keg washer, its a world away from CIP.
My question is how it relates to the benefits of a universal post. You will need the spray ball and two disconnects, for a universal post to be of any benefit (questionable) every keg you wanted to clean would need two "Uniposts", all it would save is the couple of seconds it takes to connect the right disconnect to each post. Still means that anyone could miss-connect the keg when it goes back into the fridge, being pissed, a moment of inattention, yakking to a mate... yep I can see me doing something dumb on occasion, at least the posts that are there help to minimise stuffups.
Not saying that they wont be useful in some applications, just wont be pulling off every post I own and replacing them any time soon.

Helped build a keg & cube cleaner, made out of an old stainless laundry tub, had a stainless pipe riser in the middle with a spray ball, a gas and liquid disconnect, the pump and cleaner tank underneath. Cleaned the kegs pretty well, did the inside of the diptubes to, even washed the outside of the keg. You need a pretty reasonable pump, but not too big, the first time we tested it; it launched the keg about 3M up, ended up with a 3-way valve to shunt between cleaning chemicals and rinse water, another for recirculating the cleaner or rinse water to waste.
It was for a small winery that was trying to sell kegged wine, a business that worked less well than the keg cleaner.
Mark

like you, I have zero use for a multi post to fit onto a keg. On the other hand, a multi-post with a back-end threaded in a more common format could have a lot of uses. MFL, NPT, BSP, etc.

like you, I have zero use for a multi post to fit onto a keg. On the other hand, a multi-post with a back-end threaded in a more common format could have a lot of uses. MFL, NPT, BSP, etc.
Actually some 1/2 male to whatever a standard post is bushes in SS would go nicely with these for integrating into cleaning and related systems.

How about a keg post adapter that would lift the dip tube say 20-30mm higher off the bottom of the keg if adding hops.It would save cutting some of the dip tube off.

We wanted to do a mini competition and get some feedback from you guys.

I was hoping to see what you guys thought about this product and also thought we could share some ideas on how to use this product.

We have already started to use these multi posts on a few kegs here at our warehouse but we wanted to see what ideas you could come up with?

I'd certainly start with using them for force carbing through the liquid post - there's nothing more annoying than having to try to fit a liquid QD on to your gas line (when you're not using push-in fittings), then swapping it back later...QDs with barb instead of MFLs are a bitch for this!

I'd probably also use them to make a kegmenter out of one of my cornys. I would be able to use the liquid post to not only perform closed transfers out of the kegmenter, but also to bubble some CO2 through when doing a dry hop in a second keg and wanting to rouse the hops

you can buy MFL screw on fittings with a barb on them .

Sorry, not a fan of making fittings that can fit multiple different designed input output sockets / posts.

The posts were made different for a reason, and that is good design. These things are normally done for safety and / or eliminating the chance of contamination. I like those features in the connectors

Ball lock fittings aren't very good at that, though - generally it's quite easy to get a disconnect onto the wrong post, and then it's tricky to get it off again.

For cases where the design does a good job of preventing you from hooking it up the wrong way (like pin lock posts) I totally agree with you.

you can buy MFL screw on fittings with a barb on them .

Thank you, but I am very well aware of that...
I was answering the question that started the thread, pointing out the use that I would have for them, as almost all of my QDs are barbs and I can't be arsed buying a heap of QD with MFLs

I'd replace the three I have in my wall for cleaning:

One runs high concentration line cleaner,
One runs water
One runs gas (for keg and line purging)

I'd just have the one turret on the wall (or maybe a few in parallel), hooked up to three button valves so I can just hit the line with the right agent with the flick of a button.

Andy

Definitely like the sound of that.

If you dont mind me asking what button valves did you use?

How about a keg post adapter that would lift the dip tube say 20-30mm higher off the bottom of the keg if adding hops.It would save cutting some of the dip tube off.

This is not a bad idea. Ideally though it's best just to use a stainless hop bomb like this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-hop-bomb.html

These are cheap and also they mean you can remove the hops after they have infused.

The issue with just putting hops into the keg is that if they sit there for a long time the start to decompose giving you undesirable flavours in your beer.

So ideally I think you want to be able to remove the dry hopping from the keg after 3-4 days.

Back