New Hlt Going Gas Over Electric..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well iv put in for a quote on the electric setup.. if its under $900 ill prob go that..

Do you guys think the 98L is the best choice for double batches with a 50L MT and 70L kettle.. my aim was to have enough water to not refill at all and i like the idea of setting the HLT on a timer before i wake up..

Cheers Guys.

Vice

Vicelore, I doubt aswell that you need a 100ltr HLT for doubles, I have never needed more that 70lts of Water for Double Batches..

Maybe save some dough and get something a little smaller for your HLT(60-70ltr pot) unless you want to use your 70ltr pot for your HLT, 100ltr pot for your kettle and a bigger esky and do triples?? :unsure:

Even with my doubles, my Mash water is about 23litres and sparge water is 45ltrs so if you heated them both seperately, you dont need anything bigger than a 50ltr HLT but 60-70ltre would be a good all round size....

My $0.02 ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

A 80ltr pot would be sufficient for HLT....

:icon_cheers: CB

Arh sorry CB didnt really read that carefully enough.. Spose after dead space i might have a little bit of head room.. not really gonna matter tho i spose.. Can always use boiling water for cleaning etc after the brewing session..

Cheers Vice

Here's a spreadsheet I knocked up a while back.

View attachment water_heating.xls

Enter in 'amount of water', 'temperature change' and 'amount of 'watts' in heating elements.

If I plug in
80L water
65c change (eg 22c water up to 87c)
with a single 2400w element = 2.52hours.
or 2 x 2400w = 1.26hours

Remember if you are planning to brew at a set time and you are using a temp controller set to the desired temp, you could always use a timer to kick off the heating prior to you getting up in the morning / home from work. This way when you walk into the brew house the water is ready.

QldKev

Remember if you are planning to brew at a set time and you are using a temp controller set to the desired temp, you could always use a timer to kick off the heating prior to you getting up in the morning / home from work. This way when you walk into the brew house the water is ready.

QldKev

This is how i do it and it works a treat. Set everything up the night before and start up straight away!

Cheers SJ

Rad man.. thats awesome..

says to me that 1 x 3600w element should bring it up to temp in around 1.6 hours.. so not to long at all.

That will deff be bearable with a temp contoller/timer turning it on a few hours before the planned brewing time.

Cheers Vice

your still going to need a 15amp outlet for the 3600w element. i just got 2 x 15amp points put in at work for some UPS and all up it was about $700 for both points with a certificate to give you some idea of cost....it was a commercial job though but you will be looking at upwards of $250squid just for the point i reckon.

i still think your better off with 2 x 40litre birko urns for about $550 which can be run off normal power points.

Thing is Fents that even with 2 birkos your going to need to plug them into seperate circuits. Cause 2 birkos = 20 amps. (they are 2400 watts each from memory?)
Now this may not be an issue - or it may be depending on locations of seperate power circuits. Extension leads arent exactly an ideal solution

fair call komodo, yes he will need separate points. (but imo would still prob come out better off $$$ wise)

guess im lucky, i've got a point on my deck i use and then run an extension lead to the air con point inside which is 15amp anyways.

Back