New Gauge Roads Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
One only for the Sandpeople
Just reading yesterdays paper, and in the beer column, they speak of the new Gauge roads beer, in shops by the end of the month, and its apparently dry hopped, style is a secret though...

Cheers

No this is their 3rd beer, all new...

Will keep an eye out for it. Luckily I have a local bottleshop that stocks many of the WA brews. The usual Matilda Bay, Little Creatures etc , but also some of the smaller like Gage Roads, Bootleg, Feral and Jarah Jacks.

Tried the Jarrah Jacks Pale Ale today, Good but its not a Little Creatures. The Jacks is a bottle conditioned American Pale Ale. Its a bit hazy with a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Hops is obviously cascade, flavours are a bit hidden. Very similar to an ESB American Pale Ale fresh wort I recently brewed.

Hi,
Its an IPA, out next week apparently

I've tried the mid strength pilsner & the full strength lager.
Neither were as bad as I was expecting & not bad at all for commercial beers.
The midstrength seemed to be as good as you will get a commercial midstrength.

Something new to try on my next Perth visit. ;)

Cheers
Big D

If any vics want to give it a go!
I reckon I've seen these in Melbourne at Purvis.

BK

Read an article about Gage Roads in last Thursday's West Australian. Its definitely an India Pale Ale (As Sinkas posted).

Here are a few more details from the article

5.1% ABV, IBU 39

Four varieties of hops used (two as dry hops). There is definitely East Kent Goldings for earthiness with other unspecified American hops added to give a citrus edge.

The paper describes only 2000 cartons in the first batch, due for distribution last week. I checked out a few places that stock GR this week, plenty of Lager and Pilsner but there was no sign of the IPA yet. The article does mention that a few pubs will have it on tap soon.

Has anyone seen it yet?

Bruce

Ive not seen the GR IPA yet either <_< Will do the rounds of bottle shops i drive past this weekend. Always good to try and new craftbeer :D

i havent had a chance to track some down yet. but the best bets would be sail and anchor bottle shop (next to the pub), jandakot and maybe the international beer shop. i dont think any of the chain stores will have any, i work casual for one of the big names and we would only get it if we could get BULK for all the stores.

Hi all,
Its available at BWS in canning HWY at Alfred Cove.

My thoguhts are: better than thier lager, surprisingly little aroma considering the 2 dry hop additions, a bit undercarbonated, fairly poor head retention, a little thin on the mouth feel..

I have been drinking the Mac's copperhop pale, which is lower in ABV, but has alot more in the way of complexity to it,

Overall, not quite what I had hoped for, but a good ber none the less.

thats a shame, i was expecting big things from there ale. Low carbonation isnt always a bad thing, but if it doesnt hold a head then it is. Still going to grab a case when i get around to it to try it and support my future industry.

I think (but cannot be sure) they have a Gage Roads pils on tap at the Australian (Sydney)... i didnt try it, whats it like..?

Haven't tried the pilsener, but I still don't understand why beeries slag off their flagship lager. I like it. It's an ale-lover's lager and a bit like some of the ales I brew... bitter, malty, medium-bodied and totally out of style.

Looking forward to trying their IPA. But 5.1%?

I found it at the drive thru bottle shop at the morley ale house tonight and bought a couple to sample. I could detect a bit of the ekg earthiness but as sinkas has already said not much aroma to say it is dry hopped. I don't mind the low carbonation, easily fixed with a pocket beer engine. Second the bit about it being watery and not a hiuge amount of maltiness either. Against the JS IPA its a bit insipid my overall overall impression is a safe IPA for the masses!

But if I was buying Gage roads beer it would be this one over the other two, at least it is not just another premium lager more an IPA to tempt lager drinkers to try something different.

Latest posts

Back