New from Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

extremely keen to get started in home brewing, unfortunately I'm very green as I haven't ever done a home brew before, however I have done heaps of reading and research, and to my detriment when I get interested in something I always end up wanting to go the whole hog and have the complete set up.

From what I have researched my long term goal would be to have full control of the brew process from beginning to end. Id like to set up for all grain, with a full mash and kettle set-up and have a complete keg / keg fridge with taps system with 2- 3 kegs.

I'm into all styles of beer from Stouts to Pale Ales where my favourite styles are American Pale Ales and Amber Ales.
I would love to be able to replicate JS Amber & Hop Thief beers, Feral Hop Hog, Feral Karma Citra. Then play around with the flavours.

So unfortunately budget is a major issue and its going to have to be baby steps, and work my way up to that system one step at a time.

Where is the best place to start? a coopers home brew packet kit and work from there? or should I jump straight into a budget All Grain setup and build from there?

Cheers

Many will suggest to make up your own kit and save quite a few dollars. The trouble with that is you will have to be patient, as you get all the components and from what I've noticed most new brewers struggle to wait for their first brew(s) to mature so a coopers kit would be a good start. Grain n Grape, Keg King, Brewers Den (not to mention other reputable and not so reputable HB stores) could also give you all the similar components. On top of that you will need to set up temperature control as this is critical in turning crap into craft. And personally, I'd also move to glass bottles, get a decent capper (Superautomatica). If you jump into all grain head down, to Grain n Grape for one of their BIAB demos on every other Sat. You'll get plenty of other suggestions, good luck.

+1 for starting with a kit and making sure you get temp control right (for an ale, typically in the 18-22C range)

Most home brew shops will sell a starting bundle with a fermenting vessel (FV) cleaners, etc. to get you started.

I would go for one of the "advanced kits" that includes things like brew booster, premium yeast and hops.

My first brew was like that, but it was in summer and temp control went out the window....it was a bad first brew.

Keep it simple for the first go and get the basic processes down pat. You will make mistakes, but they will be smaller with a kit and kilo then a full AG setup :D

Damn said:
If you jump into all grain head down, to Grain n Grape for one of their BIAB demos on every other Sat. You'll get plenty of other suggestions, good luck.
Just read up the BIAB info on Grain N Grape and it sounds like what I'd like to aim for in the medium to long term :)

TheBlackAdder said:
Most home brew shops will sell a starting bundle with a fermenting vessel (FV) cleaners, etc. to get you started.

I would go for one of the "advanced kits" that includes things like brew booster, premium yeast and hops.
Something like one of these kits?

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afa.asp?strViewStyle=&strOrderBy=Products_3&strKeyword=starter+kit&SUBID=406&CATID=123&SubmitType=GO&idWebPage=33826&page=1&ListOptions=Submit

and maybe switch out the Aussie Pub Draught for the Hop Hog Kit?

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=399/ID=7077/SID=516957715/productdetails.html

I went into their Richmond store the other day to get some info, but unfortunately the bloke there was of very few words and seemed like he couldn't see the back of me soon enough, so I left with less info than I walked in with :S

Welcome to brewing for starters.
I brewed for a real long time just doing the old school can and sugar and never tipped a single one. You still need the fermentation gear to do this so I'd suggest buy the bare minimum to do a couple of cans of goop and expand. It'll teach you the basics of cleanliness and methods for getting beer into a bottle. Then expand as you go. There's really nothing more rewarding than cracking the lid of a beer you've brewed yourself, whether it's as basic as a can and sugar or some mad scientific brew rig with a million pipes and heaters. its all fun and has an end reward. Alcohol.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm no expert but there's plenty of folk here that can give you awesome advice.
Happy brewing.

[SIZE=10.5pt]A good local HBS is golden and worth tracking down whatever stage of the brewing obsession you are at. If a store can’t be bothered to treat you with respect and courtesy, then personally I’d be finding another one who will[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]If budget is a major issue, then you can get going pretty cheaply:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- HDPE fermentor, with tap, airlock and airlock grommet (and stick on thermometer if you want to monitor temp) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 30 PET bottles (easy, cheap, don’t require a capper, can be bought in Dans etc when the HBS is shut, no glass shards if you over-carbonate, and when you keg probably the best option as you can bottle via a carbonation cap) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- bottling wand [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]- cleaning chemicals (e.g. sodium percarbonate) - $10 for 1kg, which will last a while[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- no rinse sanitiser (e.g. starsan or iodophor) – depends on size, but [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- kit of your choosing[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- a decent yeast[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- maybe some finishing hops if appropriate for they style[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]You should be able to pick that up for around $100 to $200 at somewhere like grain and grape – a big variation but final price will largely depend on the type and size of sanitiser (which can be exxy, but lasts) and the kit (m[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]aybe think about a fresh wort kit rather than cans?)[/SIZE]

Hip Hop Hooray said:
Just read up the BIAB info on Grain N Grape and it sounds like what I'd like to aim for in the medium to long term :)

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afa.asp?strViewStyle=&strOrderBy=Products_3&strKeyword=starter+kit&SUBID=406&CATID=123&SubmitType=GO&idWebPage=33826&page=1&ListOptions=Submit

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=399/ID=7077/SID=516957715/productdetails.html

I went into their Richmond store the other day to get some info, but unfortunately the bloke there was of very few words and seemed like he couldn't see the back of me soon enough, so I left with less info than I walked in with :S

Yep something like that gives all the basics to start making beer.

I would definitely go one with the bench capper over the hand capper
It is faster, less tiring and less likely to injur

If they will let you swap to the hop hog go for it :D

I have used their Oakleigh store from your links a number of times and have always gotten good service and decent advice.
Their range seems to cater for kit/extract more than AG, but with good process it will definitely make good beer

@ Blind dog - you forgot the brewers best friend! the trusty hydrometer

TheBlackAdder said:
@ Blind dog - you forgot the brewers best friend! the trusty hydrometer
True. you need 2 as they always break at that time on a Saturday arvo when the HBS 20 minutes away is closing in 10 minutes. Always. Its an ancient curse

Hip Hop Hooray said:

Don't waste time with liquorcraft/brewcraft.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you based?

manticle said:
Don't waste time with liquorcraft/brewcraft.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you based?
Come on Manticle, they are the perfect shop if you want to pay 30% more than any other brew shop.

Its all experience from now on. Enjoy the passion.
I got an esky for mashing. A simple set up. I didn't try BIAB. Esky mash suits me its stress/complication free. Good efficiency too.The software (or a book) works out the strike temp of water. That's the trickiest part (not too hard) then you lock the lid shut and leave it. Mow the lawns, go shopping. You can leave it for hours without worrying about gas burners or heat elements etc. No stress sometimes my mashes sit for 4 hours. No probs. Or it still works in 45 to 90 minutes as well. You can Vorlauf easily to clear wort.

Thanks for all the sound advice guys, appreciated.

Based in the outer eastern suburbs Melbourne, but work in town. So have a few options.

I think ill go with an extract simple setup to get the feel for it and expand my brewing empire from there!
looking forward to it, cant wait to experiment with different grains and hops etc :D

I've already started collecting empties, got a decent collection so far! :)
But the plastic bottles does sound a lot less effort, I have read that cleaning the lids can be an issue?
A good tip I read was to use the Grolsch swing top bottles, too bad I don't drink the stuff :p

I recently moved from melbourne interstate, otherwise I'd be happy to invite you round for a brewday.

Northeast there is greensborough home brewing, south east is keg king, inner west is grain and grape. Inner north east is full pint.

All these guys can sort you out with advice, equipment and ingredients that is well priced and wortwhile*.
Also consider joining Melbourne Brewers brewclub.

*typo leading to a great pun.

Hey hip hop.
Brewers Den is your other option in Boronia depending where you live. More of your old school home brew store though, though Pete does stock all grain stuff as well.
Next Melb brewers meeting is on wed 30 Sept in Ferntree Gully. We have a full range of brewers who will be more than happy to have a chat. melbournebrewers.org for details.
Cheers Mudd

In my very limited home brew shop experience I've found brewcraft to be ok, I do all my research on this site and then go in a get the stuff I need, have a quick chat and GTFO.
...My local home brew shop is big W so I'm easily impressed whenever I walk into an actual HBS.

If I hadn't already collected most of the crap required to build a brew rig I'd seriously consider putting a Grainfather on laybuy then just "customise" it later on if required.

How far 'outer eastern'? I've got a fermentor in decent nick (used twice) I don't use anymore that I'd love to pass on to a new brewer if it helps them get going. plus odds and sods and lots of opinions. PM if you're interested. I'm in mitcham

So I have finally gone and brought myself a startup kit. (Coopers DIY kit) and am just about ready to get started. I'm just waiting for the temp to get a bit warmer so my overnight temp won't drop too low. I can keep it cool during the day in my shed as long as the nights don't get too cold I think I'll be right without any temperature assistance. (Plan is to get an old used fridge and set up a thermostat later on)

One thing I have noticed with the coopers kit is that it doesn't come with any sanitiser. Although it is all clean should I be worried about contamination? What cleanin/sanitisers should I be going for?
This time I will use the coopers PET bottles, but I have also collected about 4 boxes worth of empties that I will use in the future. Which have accumulated plenty of mould and gunk!
So from research I have seen things like Napisan used for soak/cleaning bottles. And then a a no rinse sanitiser used before fermenting and bottling.
What's the recommended easiest/cheapest option for cleaning and sanitising.
A few that have come up often are. Cleaning: Napisan, oxiclean, Oxiper, anything with sodium bicarbonate (higher percentage the better)
And for sanitiser: starsan, saniclean, and idophor.

Also where do you recommend to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

My advice would be to burn your credit card if you have one. If you don't have one the your off to a good start. If you do have one, cut it up into very very small pieces and then burn it. After that get a cheap fridge, an STC 1000, a spray bottle and some Star San and you will be set for a long time. When winter kick in you'll need a heat source too.
The first 2 beers I made from Coopers kits where terrible because I left them in the garage thinking they wouldn't get too hot in the spring. I think they got up to 26-28c. My first and only sour beers. Keep the temps steady and between 18-21c and you'll make much better beer. For starters at least.

Latest posts

Back