New Craft Beer Bar In Brisbane - The Scratch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
There is a new small craft beer bar opening in Brisbane next week that a mate is opening. They haven't put out a press release yet but I thought I'd let you guys know!

The Scratch - 8/1 Park Rd, Milton (near the train station)

Here's the write up:

"Craft beer dive The Scratch lurks in the shadow of Queenslands brewing behemoth. We aim to support the independent and encourage the rejection of brand loyalty in favour of a constantly rotating draught and bottled beer menu. No pretension, no dress code and no pub cover bands, just damn good drinkin!"

So he tells me there will be 4 taps rotating beers from the likes of 3 Ravens, Bridge Road, Bacchus, 4 Hearts, Brewdog, Rogue, Mikkeller, Moylans and more. They're aiming to be independant as hell so no tap contracts, no lion nathan, no fosters in any way.
Don't know about how many bottled beers they'll have but I reckon it'll be a pretty good selection.

Here's the facebook link.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scratch/291850360832868

Finally a beer bar on the Caboolture Line :icon_chickcheers:
As long as they don't just sell Schmiddies, those things make me want to reach for my revolver.

Nice. Let us know when it opens and what beers are on tap at opening.

Seems Brisbane is finally getting plenty of good places to drink.

I like that they're going independent. I've always thought it'd be good to have a cold room with taps directly through the wall (shanks) so you can just add to your taps really easily by drilling another hole. Surprised more independent pubs don't do this.

Hmmm, it's not far from work. I'm not sure if that is going to be a good or bad thing :rolleyes:
But I'll know where to go before/after a Roar game now.

Is this right near a pizza place? There's one down that way I have been meaning to check out

Mark - They're hoping to open this Friday, just waiting on license to come through.

It's two doors down from Subway, not sure where the pizza place is around there ?

Perfect for games at Suncorp !

Looking forward to the opening!

New bar sounds interesting... Look forward to getting there over Summer sometime :)

Does anyone know if they serve food at the scratch?

Also is it invite only for the opening?

Was thinking of popping down on friday night.....

Nice. Let us know when it opens and what beers are on tap at opening.

Seems Brisbane is finally getting plenty of good places to drink.

I like that they're going independent. I've always thought it'd be good to have a cold room with taps directly through the wall (shanks) so you can just add to your taps really easily by drilling another hole. Surprised more independent pubs don't do this.

That's what most country pubs were like in QLD when I was your age, young fella me lad, except it was only one or two side basher taps serving XXXX in the red pubs and Bulimba in the blue pubs. Straight through the wall so the barmaid poured back turned to you. None of this wanky fonts on the counter - why bother when there was only one beer anyway?

That's what most country pubs were like in QLD when I was your age, young fella me lad, except it was only one or two side basher taps serving XXXX in the red pubs and Bulimba in the blue pubs. Straight through the wall so the barmaid poured back turned to you. None of this wanky fonts on the counter - why bother when there was only one beer anyway?

The closest pub to me is still like that, except its got VB and XXXX taps. (Whoppie duck). It is the simplest way of setting up a bar though.

The closest pub to me is still like that, except its got VB and XXXX taps. (Whoppie duck). It is the simplest way of setting up a bar though.

Yeah I figure pubs sell their soul to the megabrewers so that they can have all the bling fonts installed, but then fonts bring problems like needing to be flooded, and miracle boxes cause the kegs are stored hot and all that.

I figure just have a cold room with kegs in it behind the bar and taps through the wall with a big trough for a drip tray. Don't see the issue with doing it this way. Once you're all setup it'd cost maybe $200 to install another tap. Why not have 16 bloody taps? They could balance the system too so the one keg could be there for months if it's not popular and still be carbed correctly.

I think I read something in the Murdockery Mail about another laneway type bar opening soon in the CBD that will feature craftbeer as well, I'll see if I can force myself to read through it again for the details.
Things are looking up in our former beer desert :icon_cheers: .

woooo hotdiggy, i could just about call it my local.

I'm excited!

my mate is one of the great men behind the scratch, I was there on the weekend and got a sneak peak of some of the brews they have coming in, get excited Bribanites this little craft beer dive is going to be amazing!

opens on friday, get on in and have a look

oh also you can see the XXXX brewery from the front door of the pub te he he

carty

Awesome, my bus goes right past the door.... :super:

...and on to Roma St Transit Centre before I can get off. :angry:

However, I'm sure I can find a way to swing by, probably by train and then by magic carpet. :icon_cheers:

I think I read something in the Murdockery Mail about another laneway type bar opening soon in the CBD that will feature craftbeer as well, I'll see if I can force myself to read through it again for the details.
Things are looking up in our former beer desert :icon_cheers: .

Found the limited details: Super Whatnot a "Melbourne style laneway bar" with "craft beers over the bar and and eclectic selection of wine" and food, seats 60.

Back on topic - if I don't get there over this weekend, a mid-week visit to 'The Scratch' will be on the cards next week.
(edit: will you be around town then Ralph?)

Back