Best Craft Light Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of good options if you're after something Victorian:

Reset Robot by Brewcult. Comes in at about 3.4% ABV from memory. Nice amount of fruity hoppy flavour without being too forward. Never had a bad beer from those guys.

Featherweight by The Public Brewery in Croydon. They have just started to package their core range for distribution (also have a hoppy pale ale, american red ale and american brown ale) so not sure how available they are right now but definitely worth looking out for.

+1 for Fortitude Pacer. Very nice drop.

I'll give a shout out for Bacchus's Bayside Pale. Very nice pale ale with good hop character and decent body, but is only just above 1% ABV. Yes you read that correctly. They don't even pay excise on it.

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
I'll give a shout out for Bacchus's Bayside Pale. Very nice pale ale with good hop character and decent body, but is only just above 1% ABV. Yes you read that correctly. They don't even pay excise on it.

Cheers - Snow.
Bacchus website lists ABV of Bayside Pale as 3.4%. Still low for an APA if it tastes good

Colonial Small Ale!

ittle Bling and PL Throwback have also been my light/mid go to beers lately

Rogers is a good go to mid strength but maybe a bit mainstream for what you are looking at? Cricketers arms do a very nice mid strength Lager- Journeyman I think it is calledI reckon that would be a winner.

Will88 said:
Fortitude Brewing Pacer is a very tasty light pale. Comes in at about 2.8% I think.
+1. Tastes like a full flavoured pale ale at 2.8%. The nicest light beer I have had.

Devhay said:
Colonial Small Ale!

ittle Bling and PL Throwback have also been my light/mid go to beers lately
My list exactly! colonial small ale is excellent. Little bling IPA is amazing there is some heavy duty trickery going on there, it drinks like a much stronger IPA. Pirate life throw back is also a great beer. If all else fails coopers mild is also a surprisingly drinkable and tasty drop. (I know coopers isn't exactly craft but is easily available and many "non craft" drinkers will have a go at it and enjoy it.

I grabbed a 6 pack of Ballast Point even Keel for fishing on Friday night.
Being a big fan of other Ballast Point beers tempered my "sessionable IPAs are bullshit" mindset.

I was impressed and now understand the session IPA. It is a 3.8% beer but tastes like a normal IPA. Loads of hop presence, strong bitterness but still balanced- not sure how they do it with a smaller grain bill.

Anyway grab one of those and give it a go- I rate it highly.

RobjF said:
Hey Guys.
Been nearly 12 months since I last posted on here as ive been flat out getting my Cafe/bar off the ground with my wife whilost still working a full time job.
Run a list of about 15 craft beers in stubbies that i rotate constantly, as well as a couple of taps.
Since opening 15 months ago have been running Grand Ridge's Almighty light as our light beer and have been hunting around for about the last 2/3 months for something to replace it with no great success.
Would love to hear about any stand out light beers people have had around Victoria or further afield.
Thanks Rob
Hey Rob

I am currently doing a bit of research myself on this topic. I have been speaking to brewers and seeking out mid strength craft options. I like the idea of enjoying a few craft brews and still keeping my head on straight, especially with kids.

Without trying to sound like I am whoring my site, I have been producing some short Mid Strength beer review videos on FB & YT in recent weeks and am just about to finish my article on my blog site.

Okay, that sounded whore-ish, but my intentions are good.

Cheers

Chris

Links if you are interested:
YouTube
Facebook
Beerhealer

Blind Dog said:
Bacchus website lists ABV of Bayside Pale as 3.4%. Still low for an APA if it tastes good
Yeah I know - they haven't updated their website yet. I was out there 2 weeks ago and they had just kegged the new version - 1.2% ABV from memory. They are trying to get it down to 1% !!

Cheers - Snow,

Where would I find these (Ideally the APA/IPA variety) in Melbourne ?

I'm a dedicated and happy customer of Nillumbik Cellars Diamond Creek. No affiliation. But my beer purchases have probably paid for the new shop next door they are currently expanding into.

Back