New Brewer Kit Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, thanks for all the responses..

Am pretty sure what i am going to go with for first brew and setup, so just a few questions if you are willing to help some more.

For my first brew im gonna go with;
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager kit
+ Morgans Master Malts Caramalt Amber
Use yeast supplied with kit

My theory is, i like a lager but with a darker, slightly caramel flavour and thought id give this combination a go. Am open to other suggestions though.

Also interesting in hearing your opinions on doing some dry hopping (what hops, how many and when to add them?)

I'm gonna aim to have this brew sitting around 20-22C, opinions?

How long would i be looking at for fermentation?

How long for bottle fermentation? And also, is temperature still important once bottled?

Anything else you want to add im open to hearing/reading everything.. I'm a dry sponge waiting to absorb your beerpinions

Cheers

Again, thanks for all the responses..

Am pretty sure what i am going to go with for first brew and setup, so just a few questions if you are willing to help some more.

For my first brew im gonna go with;
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager kit
+ Morgans Master Malts Caramalt Amber
Use yeast supplied with kit

My theory is, i like a lager but with a darker, slightly caramel flavour and thought id give this combination a go. Am open to other suggestions though.

Also interesting in hearing your opinions on doing some dry hopping (what hops, how many and when to add them?)

I'm gonna aim to have this brew sitting around 20-22C, opinions?
20 will be fine

How long would i be looking at for fermentation?
fermentation should be done & dusted in 6-7 days, but I would leave it for 2 weeks min, this will help the yeast clean up after them selves

How long for bottle fermentation? And also, is temperature still important once bottled?
generally 2-3 weeks at room temp, carbonation takes place because the sugar you add to the bottle will be eaten by the yeasties, so temp is important, but not as important as ferment temp. The cooler you store the bottles the slower carbonation will be

Anything else you want to add im open to hearing/reading everything.. I'm a dry sponge waiting to absorb your beerpinions

Cheers

Is there any bonus to keeping the bottles at a low temp so they carb slower?
I know high ferment temp = terrible flavours but with the small amount of priming sugar will the remaining yeast create any horrible flavours if left to carb at say 30 degrees vs 18 degrees?

I'd be comfortable with anything under 30, & I'd also only have them at that temp for the duration of the carbing. Beer being stored warmer than ideal temps for extended periods will only accentuate any floors over time ie oxidation (cardboard)

Is there any bonus to keeping the bottles at a low temp so they carb slower?
I know high ferment temp = terrible flavours but with the small amount of priming sugar will the remaining yeast create any horrible flavours if left to carb at say 30 degrees vs 18 degrees?

In ideal conditions you should carb up at 18C but it may take a week or more to get there. The temperature is not really critical unlike towards the beginning of fermentation when the yeast can throw nasty tastes and fusel alcohols. You are correct the small amount of sugar has minimal affect just to produce some fizz and tiny bit of alcohol.

Up here in the tropics I have to prime and condition at ambient which averages high twenties low thirties all year round. Beers usually are fully carbed after about 5 days. Does it affect the taste ? couldn't tell you as I don't have the luxury of another fridge so I will let others answer that, I hope it doesn't. :icon_cheers:

i'd throw some dextrose in there aswell - say 500 grams. as for dry hopping
i would suggest throwing in 5 grams cascade in fermenter at 7 day mark.

thanks for the answers Pennywise.

when you say to throw in the hops, do you mean to throw them in loosely or in a bag? Cheers.

Either. It's up to you mate.

Some will say you run the risk of getting bits of hops in your bottles if thrown in loose, some seem to not have these issues.

If you have a hop bag handy then you may as well use it, but its probably not a biggy...

If you're bottling get a bottle tree, trying to dry 30 bottles in a dish rack is a nightmare :p Also a bench capper is a must if you're using glass bottles.

As for recipes IMO start off with simple kit and kilo and work on your brewing process ie. cleaning, sanitiation, temp control, bottling and so on, then move onto steeping grains and hops. I did exactly the opposite of this and jumped straight into AG after 2 batches so maybe take that with a pinch of salt :lol:
God only knows how many bottles I've smashed on the kitchen floor using dish rack.-Wife is always really impressed!lol

would 5g really make a difference to a full batch? I usually go for 1/2 to 1 gram per litre for dry hop-depends what I'm after,

would 5g really make a difference to a full batch? I usually go for 1/2 to 1 gram per litre for dry hop-depends what I'm after,

i have read alot of posts where it is said 1 gram per litre. each to their own. having said that i'm no expert.
what i usually do is put my 5 grams of pellets into a bowl and cut it up with a knife so its not chunky and
more like the consistancy of milo, then throw it onto the top of the beer in fermenter where it will spread
out over the entire surface and gradually sink down to the trub over the next 4 days. i find this gives my
beer a nice little kick.

when hops get wet they swell and the pellets will break apart. the pellets turn in to millions of little bits less then 1mm round

when hops get wet they swell and the pellets will break apart. the pellets turn in to millions of little bits less then 1mm round

i find that the chunky bits tend to sink pretty quick which is why i chop them up as they
cover the entire surface and slowly sift their way down through the beer to the bottom.

Yeah you could be right. I tend to just throw them in even thrown them in a bit of swiss voile and threw into the keg that worked about the same, just I forgot to add them into the fermenter lol

Latest posts

Back