Nelson Sauvin Bavarian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd drop the 20 min addition on your 1st attempt, it could easily over do it. Just adding the 2 late additions will give you approx 50% more bitterness than the original kit & the kit has been designed to be balanced. There's no point comparing it to Urquell, since the malt character will be totally different to balance the hops.

cheers Ross

yeah, I'll drop the 20m and do a 10 and 5. I liked the bitterness of the Budvar, but it might be a bit too much for my wife

I'll add to what Ross said that IBU levels in beer drop over time, as much as 50% over 6 months. Certainly percieved bitterness drops heaps over time. Combine that with the fact it's pretty much impossible to find fresh BoPils in Aus and you'd probably find what you tasted was significantly less bitter than the original product.

On the other hand if you are prepared to wait a while... You might lose your hops aroma though... :)

I might give it a go with 10g @ 10m and 5m, would another 10 @ flmeout give any extra bitterness or just flavour?

I got this started on MOnday night. 10g@ 10, 5 and flameout. I couldn;t resist and had a sample out of the fermenter today. The aroma hasn;t come out yet (smells like yeast with just a hint of sulphur) but the taste is amazing. Full of malty passionfruit and grape!!!! Can't wait until this one's finished, I'm tempted to skip secondary with a couple of bottles so I can test them before Xmas.

OK, I've got the official tasting tomorrow, but I;ve tried a couple of botttles and its VERY nice.... awesome aroma, the bitterness is spot on, very Pilsnerish (is that a word).... a litle bit too bitter for the wife though, but the maltiness matches it perfectly....

OK, I've got the official tasting tomorrow, but I;ve tried a couple of botttles and its VERY nice.... awesome aroma, the bitterness is spot on, very Pilsnerish (is that a word).... a litle bit too bitter for the wife though, but the maltiness matches it perfectly....
Cool shamus. I'm thinking of doing a similar brew with the Coopers Euro lager, with S-189 yeast.
- keep us posted with the tasting results.

Cool shamus. I'm thinking of doing a similar brew with the Coopers Euro lager, with S-189 yeast.
- keep us posted with the tasting results.
wow... this is basically a cross between Budvar and Knappstein Reserve!!!! All the flavour from the Sauvin, and the nice crisp bitterness of Budvar.... probably a bit too bitter for most of my friends, but that means all the more for me....

Back