NEIPA grain bill?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to make a great NEIPA and am a bit unsure about the grain bill in particular. Any thoughts on how to improve this one?

20L

5.5kg Golden Promise (81.2%)
350g Dextrose (5.2%)
300g Wheat Malt (4.4%)
300g Rice Hulls (4.4%)
250g Flaked Oats (3.7%
75g Carafa Special 2 (1.1%)
125g Lactose

Thanks in advance!

Drop the carafa and lactose completely, (unless you're going for an oat cream kind of thing re: lactose), up the wheat and flaked oats to at least 8% each, Dex/glucose only if you don't hit your target abv. Don't mind GP as it's light and has some malty substance to a otherwise very hop driven beer- can go light er in colour though if you go with pils/ Heidelberg malt.

Imo NEIPA's are made or broken with the water chemistry, in order to get hat really soft but full mouthfeel..do you know what sort of salts you'll be adding/targeting?

Similarly the timing of hop additions and yeast choice are going to be pivotal into nailing a NEIPA, what hops/when & yeast selection?

I heard Scott Janish on a podcast provide this as the base recipe for NEIPAs at Sapwood Cellars:
70% base malt
15% malted wheat
10% oats
5% chit malt

Could be worth trying? But as The Mack said, malt bill is just part of the puzzle for a good hazy.

This is the Ben's Lefty Juicy Neipa that Grain and Grape put out as an astounding FWK. I've made the kit a lot and also the all grain - it's terrific:
25L RO water at 71c
2 tsp calcium chloride
1/4 tsp calcium sulfate
4.2kg Joe White Gladfield Pilsner Malt
500g Simpsons Golden Naked Oats / Gladfield Big O malted oats
340g Carapils malt Weyerman
115g Acidulated malt (for mash Ph)... or use phosphoric acid. (Adjust pH according to the water in your region to roughly 5.2)
115g Plain Flour

link has the full recipe including hops and the full demonstration of them making it

NEIPAs are all about fruity note from both hops and yeast. Background, noncompeting flavours are good, but not strong notes that distract palates. Subtle malt tastes work in about any American ale. whether it's more or less hoppy..

Carafa, F'get about it. Roast flavours are not only out of style, they'd be noise. You could sub light caramel. Some use it in NEIPAs, some don't.

GP is a popular base malt in the style. I use it.

I'd go higher on the oats, at least 7%. I do like Golden Naked Oats instead of raw grain, but I use less than in Barkos recipe above, and I don't have any NEIPA in stock right now to use in a tasting duel with him, her. them.

In this style the dextrose is like a party-crasher who stays in a corner all night. No harm, but I'd drop it.

Lactose? What for?

Ok, thanks for the feedback lads.

I use a robobrew and I find large amounts of grain difficult to manage using it. I'm using the dextrose as I want a higher alcohol beer, and I can't really achieve that using grain alone.

I wanted to experiment with lactose to try get a really silky smooth mouthfeel.

Ok, thanks for the feedback lads.

I use a robobrew and I find large amounts of grain difficult to manage using it. I'm using the dextrose as I want a higher alcohol beer, and I can't really achieve that using grain alone.

I wanted to experiment with lactose to try get a really silky smooth mouthfeel.
You could just reduce your overall volume a bit, so you have a higher ratio of grain to water. Instead of 21 litres, you could aim for 19 (which could be as little as 15 after yeast and hop trub losses).

You could also do a reiterated mash. Basically, split your larger grain bill in half, mash, empty the malt pipe, refill the malt pipe with second half of grain, mash again into your wort.

light DME would be better than dextrose too I think.

There you go, three methods, I'm a bit shocked I could think of that many.

Latest posts

Back