Need Help With First Brew Selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuggalug

Reaction score
gidday everyone i'm new to this home brewing so i thought i'ld check the net, this site jumped out at me. i love my beer especially carlton dry and would love to replicate something very similar. this will be my first brew so any advice on kit selection or just advice on things i should take special notice of, would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Hi Mate

A few tips.

1. Keep everything clean.

2. Keep everything clean.

3. Keep everything clean.

Checkout the coopers DIY kit. It has everything to get you started. I got one when I started out and I still use most of the gear (fermenter, bottles, Hydrometer.. etc). Check the coopers site for more details.

Carlton dry (or any light lager) isn't the most strait forward beer to make from a supermarket tin. Something like the Mexican Cerveza or Canadian blonde will be closest.

Keep reading and asking questions

Good luck

Hi Chuggalug,

Im no expert, but I am happy to give some advise.
1. Be clean, but no need to wash things with Domestos (dont worry, i've seen this!)
2. Start with a basic Tin / Brew Enhancer (thats the fementable contentent - sugar / malt) and yeast (the ones that come with the tins are fine)
3. After you have done a couple of these and have a handle on temp / brew time / etc, move on to adding hop bags / hops / malts / etc (you will find all sorts of recipes and advise on this sight - its awsome!)
4. You will soon make beer as good, most probably better, that Calson Dry very quickly!
5. A Canadian Blonde would be a good place to start and will produce a light flavoured easy drinking beer

Good Luck

If you want to make a dry beer add a dry enzyme with your yeast (most homebrew stores stock these). Note that the enzyme will most likely give you a lower final gravity that what instructions on tin or kit say, so wait a week then make sure you have the same hydrometer reading for a couple of days in a row.

I would also add a small ammount of Pride of Ringwood hops (if you have a spare coffee plunger just chuck 15g of them in there with some boiling water for 15 mins or so, plunge then pour in with your tin of goo). This will give you a bit more flavour.

gidday everyone i'm new to this home brewing so i thought i'ld check the net, this site jumped out at me. i love my beer especially carlton dry and would love to replicate something very similar. this will be my first brew so any advice on kit selection or just advice on things i should take special notice of, would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Try a tin of Bachuss and Barley Alaskan Ice Beer its a good start for a dry style beer. Bet patient and let it ferment for a couple of weeks, then bottle and condition for 1 month. You will need patients if you want to make a good beer.

thanks for the advice everyone, i'll certainly be heading it. i'll let you know how it turns out. cheers again

Back