Need A Recipie To Try

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAKLISTED

Reaction score
Hey people. Kinda new to the brewing game and have been scouring this forum for whatever info I can get. It's been an awesome source of info!

I have done 4 brews in total now, these being:

1. No-Name Pilsner from the brew shop I got my kit from (thought it would be crap, but turned out ok I reckon, especially for my first go)
2. Canadian Blonde with honey added to the mix (this was good too)
3. James Boags Premium Clone (so so)
4. Tooheys Old Clone (suprisingly good, like it better than the proper stuff!)

I have thrown my first toucan lager down about 2 weeks ago for a laugh (2 cans of Coopers Lager, 1kg DLME and both Coopers yeast packets). It's just about ready to bottle, and am heading to the local homebrew store to get some supplies for my next brew. I just don't know what to brew next. I was wondering if someone could suggest something to try that has worked well for them in the past? I'm not too sure what sort of range the homebrew store here has with regards to products, yeast packets, hops etc. but any suggestions welcome! Keeping in mind I'm not too much of a stout fan..

Cheers guys

Do you have temp control? Like a fridgemate and old fridge.

Extract or Kit and bits? Do you have a preference.

im about to put down my first kits and bits (third brew total) and im leaning towards Dr Smurtos Golden Ale, extract version, sounds like a great beer which employs some new techniques i havent used yet, should be fun

I simply don't understand how some people can brew 5 beers and run out of ideas... my to-brew list is so long it's got a reference card.

Have a look through the RecipeDB and find something you would like to try... then try to brew it.

BLAKLISTED,

I did THIS ONE a while ago and it came out bloody fantastic.
Highly recommend.
Other than that as QB said the recipeDB is fantastic and I personally found that it is a great way to challenge yourself with the new ideas etc.

Kev.

ok, i'm a dummy. I was about to say it's too hard to filter through all of the all grain and partial recipies on the recipieDB to find a good Kit recipie.. untill I found you could refine your selection to method type :rolleyes: . Sorry to waste your time.

Yeastie Beastie, looks like an interesting recipe there and looks like it will challenge me a bit more than the other brews I have put down. Thanks heaps!

I've read a lot of praise about Dr Smurto's ale gen, I'll add this one to the list as well I think.

Rover, no real temp control as yet. The last couple of brews I have been placing in a cupboard underneath the house where it has been nice, constant cool temp. They have turned out fine. But i'm relying upon the cold winter weather at the moment for my Lager, although after reading about how important temp control is for fermentation (particularly lagers) i'm not too sure how it's going to turn out. I'll wait and see i guess.

Any way, thanks for the suggestions. Feel like a dill, first post and made an arse of myself. :blink:

It's best to start with the dill posts early, you can delete your account and create a new one and not lose anything!

there's also a 'battle of the toucan' thread, a 'best K&K' thread and then the recipe DB. that should keep you busy brewing for years.

I simply don't understand how some people can brew 5 beers and run out of ideas... my to-brew list is so long it's got a reference card.

I agree, in fact I have never brewed the same beer twice. Mind you I don't follow any recipes, just make stuff up as I go.

To the OP, just throwing something out there for you, get a kilo of Crystal malt (its always handy to keep some in your pantry), some Amarillo hops (if you like Jame's Squire Golden Ale flavour) and some US-05 dried yeast. And try the something like following:

1 x Coopers Cerveza kit
300g Crystal Malt
1 x box Coopers BE2
500g Light Dry Malt
50 grams Amarillo (or other hop of choice)

Boil a few litres of water, let cool to about 70 degrees, throw the crystal malt in for 20 minutes, strain into another pot, boil the resulting liquid for one hour with the following hop additions.

15 grams at the start of the boil (@60)
20 grams 1/2 way through (@30)
15 grams about five minutes before the boil is finished.

Add that to your fermentor with the other ingredients, add whatever volume of water that will give you the OG you want, then proceed as you would with your other beers.

Stepping up from kits is really that easy, and you will have a tastier beer as well.

Don't sneer at the Coopers Toucan, it's a good drop and I always reckon it's a good example of what Coopers could acheive if they ever decided to wean themselves away from the supermarket dollar and do a zooper dooper kit along the lines of those huge ESB tins. I made 2 last year and thinking of doing another one this year just as a keg filler (I'm all mashed out after doing six AG beers for a forthcoming comp and a couple of easy ones would give me a bit of a holiday).

I would: (exercise caution when drinking as it would turn out headbanger strength)

2 cans Coopers Lager
1kg dex
dry hop in the fermenter with 15 g Amarillo pellets or New Zealand B Saaz pellets.

Use a more appropriate yeast than the ale yeast that comes under the lid. Morgans lager yeast is a genuine lager strain and will ferment along nicely at 18 - 20 and will give less of an ale-like result. It's cheap, and provides a good 'trade off' if you can't do a lager at 12 degrees or so.

:icon_cheers:

The day I stopped buying hopped extract cans was a great day for my beer and my tastebuds.

I steep 400g of carapils in 4L of water for 30 minutes (in Swiss Voile bag), chuck the grain and boil 25g of hops (in a sock) in it for 60 minutes. 5 minutes before the 60 is up, I throw in another 25g bag just to sterilize it and then the whole 4L including the new hop bag goes in the fermenter with 1.5kg of unhopped extract, 1kg of LDME and Dextrose for the required alcohol level (0.3-1.0kg).

As easy as K&K, almost as tasty as AG.

My current favourite:

Saaz Cross Brown Ale

1.5kg Morgans Amber
350g Carapils
200g Caramalt
1kg LDME
0.5kg Dextrose
25g Southern Cross 60min
25g Summer Saaz 0min
Safale S-04 @ 20C

Thanks Nick, that brown ale sounds mighty tasty!

BIAB does sound fairly simple, and theres no real reason why I shouldnt be doing it yet. I'll wind up doing it soon, just want to do a few kits first.

Latest posts

Back