Natural Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, just as I thought... Only Lion Nathan branded beers are suggested.

Marketing = scum.

Edit: I love how they say in the "Brewer's Memo" that they are happy to discuss natural beer with others that feel the same way and conveniently don't provide means of communication.

Ahh yes, I remember when this was first brought up. Interesting gimmick, but that's about it.

The carbonation (fizz) in our beers is a natural result of the fermentation process. However, if we dont get enough fizz from the fermentation, we may need to add a little extra CO2. This is the only additive in our natural beers. Never any artificial additives.

:eek:

don't forget that they try to avoid foaming during the brewing process so that maximum foam is in your beer!

Well, that ad campaign has certainly convinced me to give up homebrewing, and go back to drinking West End Draught.....all those sugaz make it extra delicious.
:p

So, does hop extract poured in at the end count as a 'natural additive?'

Hops are compressed from the natural hop flower or used whole.

Semi-serious question.

All beers are natural.
Or
No beer are natural
well????

Beer is Man-Made and doesn't exist in any form or nature on our planet without a little human help.
Hang on, I am natural, so beer is natural......
Cut this crap out PLEASE
Ok :D

(Pardon me, I am having an episode..... :rolleyes: )

Mmm, BEER. Geez, get with the program you heathens!

Muhahahahaha :p

lets start fights over this in every town sack the brewery's and advertising offices

Dont the Germans claim this with their Reinheitsgebot, where only three ingredients are allowed: Water, Yeast, Malt and Hops.
Yet, they also allow additives providing they are put in to the water, before the boil, or added to the beer after the brew.
So.. a rasberry cordial tainted Berliner Weisse is completely acceptable, even tho there are still only the four ingredients.
I suspect the Thooeys people will do the same.

So what does Natural Beer Ingredients mean, anyway?
You can put natural potatoes in?
You can put natural corn meal in?

Even with the best natural ingredients, it is still easy to create a pile of bull shit. Our bovine friends make natural shit every day.

Meh... fancy what would happen if the Belgians devised such a set of ridiculous rules.

More propaganda on this link:
NaturalBeer

By the look of comments on that site there a lot of people don't think much of the ads, particularly Natural Man's farting.

You don't need megaswill to do that! Try drinking the bottom centremeter of yeast out of some of my homebrew stubbies - works everytime! :p

Hopper.

Of course we know a lot better on this forum but it's actually frightening, the misconceptions about beer out there amongst the swill consumers. Very common in Qld is the belief that arsenic is added to beer as a preservative, and even up to recently on the Wikepedia page for VB there was a statement written by some clown that VB is chemically produced and a batch can be produced and sent out from the brewery in two days to satisfy demand during heatwaves.

Probably won't do any harm but the spin from breweries is always amusing to us who are 'in the know'. It's not just Aus brewers, when I toured Heineken I asked the guide a genuine question (he said he had been with H. for over ten years) "Where are your hops grown.. do you get them in from Germany or are there also hop growing regions in the Netherlands?). Oh we get them all from the USA he assured me :huh:

According to Lion nathan Head Brewer Bill Taylor, these beers will now no longer use any hop extract.

Apparently so...

Another common additive is tetra hops, a modified liquid extract from hops used to fine-tune bitterness and protect against the effects of light on beers sold in green or clear bottles, which do not filter out destructive UV rays as effectively as brown bottles.

Many brewing perfectionists argue this is not a natural product, even though it comes from hops.

"We drew a line in the sand and decided that we wouldn't use tetra hops in the beers produced under the Natural Beer Promise," Taylor said, even though he believes there is nothing wrong with using what is "a clever bit of science".

"We still use it in other beers we make, but just not in those with the all-natural tag."

linky

I may be wrong (flame suit, activate) but the tetra hops aren't so much "protecting against the effects of light" but rather aren't vulnerable to the effects that real hops would be.

In the end, isn't everything 'natural' to some degree or another? I don't see people creating the atoms themselves. It's like 'Fresh(tm)' as a trademark rather than an adjective.

Diarrhea is all natural....I still wouldn't drink it, though. :p

And yet, they expect that making W-END naturally will encourage people ("oh no he didn't!!")

Latest posts

Back