National Comp & Powels Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
Well done Mark and Steve. Goes to show that the malt is ok. I must add that neither smoked porter or APA are malt driven styles and would generally judged on hopping (APA) and smoke.
I will be very interested to hear your report, Barry, on the the side-by-side comparison.
cheers
Darren
[post="97301"][/post]​

Gee Darren, there's no pleasing you is there mate. I don't remember you stipulating the type of beer it had to be! <_< . All your requirements have been met, it's not only a winning beer in a National competition it's also best mash beer of show.
I'm convinced, Powells Malt is the best malt in the world and no other malt can compare :lol: ;) .

Cheers
Andrew

Darren said:
I must add that neither smoked porter or APA are malt driven styles and would generally judged on hopping (APA) and smoke.
[post="97301"][/post]​

Geez Darren. So you're saying that the brewers concerned in your most "humble" of opinions could have saved themselves a small fortune and just used water and/or hops and smoke? :wacko:

No they're not malt driven but they still need a malt backbone. That statement is so FOS. <_<

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Darren said:
I must add that neither smoked porter or APA are malt driven styles and would generally judged on hopping (APA) and smoke.
[post="97301"][/post]​

Geez Darren. So you're saying that the brewers concerned in your most "humble" of opinions could have saved themselves a small fortune and just used water and/or hops and smoke? :wacko:

No they're not malt driven but they still need a malt backbone. That statement is so FOS. <_<

Warren -
[post="97313"][/post]​

No Warren,
Thats not what I am saying. You could make a pretty good example of both of those styles with the addition of extract though :blink:

Darren said:
Thats not what I am saying. You could make a pretty good example of both of those styles with the addition of extract though :blink:
[post="97341"][/post]​
Yes but I think there is a distinction between "pretty good" and 'best beer of show at a national comp".

Man! I am new to brewing AG, and I feel so silly for spending so much on imported grain. I spose newbies are allowed to make the odd mistake. You've convinced me to make the change Darren!
:)

mongo said:
Man! I am new to brewing AG, and I feel so silly for spending so much on imported grain. I spose newbies are allowed to make the odd mistake. You've convinced me to make the change Darren!
:)
[post="97408"][/post]​

Ha ha ha, I don't think that was what Darren had in mind :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew

This is one interesting thread !

Batz :ph34r:

Dunno. Think it cuts a fine line between interesting and needless. <_<

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Dunno. Think it cuts a fine line between interesting and needless. <_<

Warren -
[post="97434"][/post]​

Ok then this post finished!!!!

Next person posts under this topic has too brew a Coopers kit with sugar , ferment it at a high temp.
Then drink it......

Careful......don't post

Batz :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

and it may bring back such wonderful memories of where a lot of us started. :p

Batz said:
Next person posts under this topic has too brew a Coopers kit with sugar , ferment it at a high temp.
[post="97439"][/post]​
Then enter it in a state competition.

Then win and consequently start a thread questioning Coopers ability to make a good "kit beer". The merits could then be argued that the resultant beers weren't "malt-driven" and weren't true indicators of the said kit's true abilities blah! blah! blah! . :blink: :lol:

Warren -

Okay compelled to re-open this thread. :)

A few months has passed since anybody posted their findings with Powells Malt and efficiencies. Some say they get as high as the 80s with a single rest and others (myself included) get around the 50 mark. :(

I usually have my grain crushed by the HBS but this will be my first batch with my own mill and I've got a 25kg sack of Powells Trad. Ale to play with.

I was told by somebody that a 40 degree rest would improve the efficiency of this malt. Anyone care to verify this? :unsure:

TIA.

Warren -

Grant from Powells suggested to myself that a protein rest @ 50C would probably be beneficial. (When I asked him if there were any general rules of thumb with Powell's malt)

BTW, i've been experiencing low efficiencies too compared to JW

Edit: Not sure if the protein rest will help efficiencies though.

I'd like to know as well how to improve efficiency with Powells. My best result with my Barley Crusher on its finest setting is 65%, and that's run through twice. JW Malts minimum 80%.

Cheers.

I can't speak for the Powells malt, but I can say that crush can make a huge difference. A poor crush (lots of nearly-whole grains, not much flour) can really kill your efficiency. If your HBS sells mostly specialty grains for steeping then they may not notice that the crush is off.

I can also recommend a dough-in and brief (15-20 minute) liquefaction rest at about 40C for any malt. When I started doing it I got less dough balls, better efficiency, and less stress about overshooting the sac. rest temperature and killing the enzymes.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd and others.

Pretty much matches up with what I was told. Problem is you get mixed messages with this malt. :)

50% of the brewers on the forum are talking efficiencies in the 70s with single temperature rest and others (myself included) are getting down in the 50s region. :(

I'm going to try the 40 degree rest next brew I think. ;)

Warren -

how about posting the malt analysis someone? all the answers should be contained within.

Boozed, bruised and broken boned.
Jayse

One variable that may be worth considering is mash duration...

I did a pils last weekend and mashed overnight - according to promash, I got a 5% efficiency improvement. Perhaps it's worth considering as a method in addition to the crush, etc, to further extend the efficiency of all malted grains, including Powells?

Cheers,
TL

I get ~80% with JW malt, and with Powells I get ~70%. The crush makes a HUGE difference. I can't do any better than 70% though. Haven't tried the 40degC rest, but I am happy with the beers and happy with 70% efficiency given its lower cost.

Latest posts

Back