Nasa Hose Thread Size, What Size Bsp Thread?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Hi guys, just a quickie.

What size is the male thread on the NASA burners?

I've searched but can't find it. I'm guessing 3/8", but it could possibly be 5/8" or even 1/4".

Does anyone know what size thread they take for the hose?

Thanks in advance.

JD
 

vlbaby

Beer Budda
Joined
21/9/04
Messages
560
Reaction score
0
Justin said:
Hi guys, just a quickie.

What size is the male thread on the NASA burners?

I've searched but can't find it. I'm guessing 3/8", but it could possibly be 5/8" or even 1/4".

Does anyone know what size thread they take for the hose?

Thanks in advance.

JD
[post="89670"][/post]​
justin,

your best bet to identifying this thread will be to take it into pirtek or HIS hose etc and get them identify it. Thats what i had to do with my burner hose when i wanted to connect it to my mongolian burner. It turned out to be some JIS thread or something.

vlbaby.
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Justin said:
Hi guys, just a quickie.

What size is the male thread on the NASA burners?

I've searched but can't find it. I'm guessing 3/8", but it could possibly be 5/8" or even 1/4".

Does anyone know what size thread they take for the hose?

Thanks in advance.

JD
[post="89670"][/post]​
Justin,

I seem to have 1\2" to 3\8" M to F BSP & 3\8" to 1\4" M to F BSP reducers connected to the male thread on my NASA so it should be 1\4" BSP.

:beer:
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Thanks guys. I was just hoping to get a reg with the same size thread fitting so I didn't need adapters and had a hose that connected directly to both. Still might make a copper stand off pipe though.

Might get myself one of these NASA burners.

Just a question if anyone wants to comment, how much heat do you find being directed downwards from the burner. Could your pump sit diagonally down and left about a foot from the burner or is there too much radiant heat from them?

Can anyone tell me how much heat you feel directly under the burners. The Yanks seem to go over the top with heat shields etc., just wondering how necessary that might be?

Cheers, Justin
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Justin said:
Thanks guys. I was just hoping to get a reg with the same size thread fitting so I didn't need adapters and had a hose that connected directly to both. Still might make a copper stand off pipe though.

Might get myself one of these NASA burners.

Just a question if anyone wants to comment, how much heat do you find being directed downwards from the burner. Could your pump sit diagonally down and left about a foot from the burner or is there too much radiant heat from them?

Can anyone tell me how much heat you feel directly under the burners. The Yanks seem to go over the top with heat shields etc., just wondering how necessary that might be?

Cheers, Justin
[post="89827"][/post]​
If it is any help Justin, my NASA sits with 2 bricks under each leg (180mm off the sealed concrete) & the heat hasn't affected the sealer at all. It is also about 600mm from my prized plants & the heat hasn't affected them either. You can see my piccie here. 300mm may be pushing things a little though. Hope this helps.

:beer:
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Thanks for that TP.

How hot do the bricks that the stand is on get? That might give me my answer.

The only wat to know is to touch them :huh:. Touch them TP, touch them for me . :p :D

Thanks again. Justin
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Justin said:
Thanks for that TP.

How hot do the bricks that the stand is on get? That might give me my answer.

The only wat to know is to touch them :huh:. Touch them TP, touch them for me .

Thanks again. Justin
[post="89831"][/post]​
Justin,

You'll have to wait till my next brew on Monday for me to touch them again, but I have laid my hands on them before without making an appointment at the burns unit. :lol:

:beer:
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Shanks Shmate.

It should be right I would imagine. Can't be that hot underneath. Guess I'll find out. If need be a heat shield will be made.

Thanks.
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Justin.

Doesn't get that hot per se, that said I'd take all care and maybe heat-shield your pump. Better to be safe than sorry.

Warren -
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
warrenlw63 said:
Justin.

Doesn't get that hot per se, that said I'd take all care and maybe heat-shield your pump. Better to be safe than sorry.

Warren -
[post="89841"][/post]​
Yeah, better safe than sorry. 100mm away is a little chancy.

:beer:
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Justin.

Here's a pic of the standoff pipe I used. As much as I baulked at the idea I managed to be able to rig it up with 1/2 inch fittings. ;)

Can't readily tell you what the parts are called. I just took the valve to the local Tradelink store, explained to the bloke on the counter what I wanted to do and $13 later I walked away with a compression piece and adaptor for the thread. :beerbang: I've sealed it with gas tape, checked the connections. No leaks whatsoever.

You've just got to be careful doing it up on the valve. The cast (?) thread on the NASA is a bit of a worry when applying too much grunt with a shifter. You really need to tighten it well to do the job. Otherwise you'll get a bit of a leak. Not good that close to the flame. :blink:

Warren -

DSC00505.JPG
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Pete.

Is your standoff 1/2 inch? I'd be interested to see if you did something similar to me? :unsure:

BTW Nice brewing vista too Pete. Looks relaxing. :rolleyes:

Warren -
 

Justin

Well-Known Member
Joined
4/11/03
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
14
Thanks guys. I've got some 1/4" copper that will do the job nicely, I'll just have to borrow a flare tool from someone? Not sure who yet but I'll track one down. I've heard the cheap flaring tools aren't worth a pinch of $%^ so I'll try to borrow a good quality one.

I guess I could also probably use compression fittings and just solder them up solid so there are no leaks. It would work fine. Unless the heat melts the solder of couse. Ok back to flare fittings :blink:

Cheers, Justin
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
warrenlw63 said:
Pete.

Is your standoff 1/2 inch? I'd be interested to see if you did something similar to me?

BTW Nice brewing vista too Pete. Looks relaxing.

Warren -
[post="89847"][/post]​
Warren,

As next Monday is only my 4th AG the vista is the least of my problems :p . My standoff is 1\2" copper tube with 1\2" BSP connections. If you look closely at my pic again you will see part of it. Went to a gas fitter down the road with my NASA & he did the lot for (from memory) $14. It's a little up in the air at present thanks to the bricks, but will sit on the ground when I make up my brewstand 100 years from now.

:beer:
 

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Joined
4/5/04
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
11
Sorry Pete you may have misunderstood me. :D

I meant your outdoor area and tropical plants. They look really nice. :beerbang:

Warren -
 

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Joined
2/8/04
Messages
5,182
Reaction score
480
Location
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
warrenlw63 said:
Sorry Pete you may have misunderstood me.

I meant your outdoor area and tropical plants. They look really nice.

Warren -
[post="89859"][/post]​
Thanks for the buildup mate. I understood alright. It's just that I still run around like a headless chook on brewday & don't really notice them as I'm far too busy. :p

:beer:
 

Latest posts

Top