Name the bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Misso came up with Cervezaphiles but it was pointed out that people cant spell and may not find it in a search... shame, I quite liked it

Dubbel Tap

Romanov's
(Romanov was the dynasty of Russian Emperors ... Imperial Russia)

Or keep it simple:
The Tsar Bar

... But you might get a lot of people looking for borscht and vodka [emoji19]

You could call it "Cock Robin" and when people ask why you called it that, you can say "ouch, whats that up my bum Batman"

Not a suggestion for a name, but if it's the venue above that awesome little bottle shop in Mitcham, I'd do a serious amount of research. Pretty sure there's demand for craft beer in the area as the Public Brewery in Croydon attests, but you'd have serious competition just over the road unless you really sorted the space and offering. There seems to be a real pent up desire for good local, funky bars rather than the soulless, bland megaswill chain hotels, but the offering has to be right and that space is challenging, but I've seen worse repurposed into very successful venues. Then again, you know all that already.

As for names:

'F**k me, I'm dead when the wife finds out I just bought this bar' - bit long, but poignant
'Carry on regardless'
'Serendipity'
'Bar 499'

The bar across the road is a soulless TAB pokies joint offering 3 cub lines, I'd suggest the people who frequent that joint aren't my market.

Coolroom, glycol and 12 lines going in ;)

As for fitout... Well, we'll just have to wait and see, but yes, you have the right joint ;)

Hop-packers Inn
Half-packed box
Not too far from home.
Just (or Jess'd) across the road
Hipsters, really?

Yob said:
The bar across the road is a soulless TAB pokies joint offering 3 cub lines, I'd suggest the people who frequent that joint aren't my market.
Great news that you plan on resurrecting the Casablanca. I hired the place about 18 months ago as the venue for my daughters 21st,

It used to be open as a regular boozer with live music some nights. The late, great Dutch Tilders used to be a regular there (one of the funniest nights I've ever had on the beer was after his gig going back to a mate's place with Dutch in tow. Someone handed him a twelve string guitar and we rolled around laughing as he tried to tune the bloody thing. Fifty years in the music game and he was stumped). Recent years has seen Casablanca as a venue-for-hire place only.

As regards the regular crowd at the Mitcham Hotel over the road, I can almost guarantee that the hard core, Mon-Fri after-work crowd of about 15 blokes will check out the reborn Casablanca and probably make it their new local. I haven't been in the back bar at the Mitcham for a few years, but I know the social dynamics. The benign and benevolent leader of the pack is an affluent guy who owns a software company in Nunawading. Leaves work every day about 4:30pm and stops at the Mitcham till about 7:30, Around him are a group of friends and hangers-on. Many of these are or were homebrewers. So they have an interest in beer beyond the usual CUB product and will certainly check out the offerings at your place and help pay your rent and power bill.

Good luck with it.

Back