My Yeast Starter Smells Like ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyHops

Reaction score
... raw chicken! :ph34r:

Evenin' all, I've been making a starter with WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast (that I haven't
used before) which has been at the krusening stage since this afternoon. While
I guess you could describe it as smelling bready, I think it's more like raw chicken
with some hints of orange. It will probably be ready for cooling and clearing over
night at which point I could do a taste test but was wondering if anyone has used
this yeast before and think this is normal?

Also, using a new T.A.S.P. & stir bar (flask & stir bar was soaked in phos acid for
about 30mins), about 400ml of 1035 radieuse wort & 200ml of about 1035 DME
malt, yeast from about 1/4 of a WLP tube opened last Easter.

T.

Without commenting on your process, i have found Abbey530 to smell and taste a little 'disconcerting' when its young. im not big on raw or cooked chook, so i might describe it as a very faint putridness?? it fades quickly enough. lovely yeast.

sim

What's raw chicken smell like?
You could go to woolies/coles and ask the chick behind the meat counter
if you can have a whiff of the chicken? ;)

... might describe it as a very faint putridness?? it fades quickly enough. lovely yeast.
sim
Guess it could be described like this. But the more I think about it, the smell
of yeast (esp the more savoury cases) does resemble raw chicken.

Anyways, have had a taste test today and tastes like sour mandarins or a bone
dry champagne so maybe the starter is ok? (like suggested here). Visually, the
starter looks like typical yeast starters do with bland colouring. I could save the
current starter and make another one to see if it turns out the same but would
be nice if I can pitch this one and get things going.

T.

Without commenting on your process, i have found Abbey530 to smell and taste a little 'disconcerting' when its young

+1 in my only experience thus far mate. I reckon it will be ok, you stepped it up from a fair portion of the vial so there is plenty of viable yeast in there.

... raw chicken! :ph34r:
... been making a starter with WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast ...
Just thought I'd add a follow up - the yeast from the starter turned out to be ok,
also used about 2 cups of the subsequent trub slurry to ferment a second batch of
Leffe Radieuse clone and didn't notice any smells of chook from the slurry.

Incidentally, there was a strong smell of cooked/steamed corn coming off from the most
active stage of the ferment but doesn't seem to be any hint of this in the finished beer.

T.

Similar question regarding WLP530.

It's the first time I have used this yeast as well so I'm not sure whether sulfer production is common. I'm getting a strong sour/sulfer aroma around 48+ hours from pitching in a honey wheat based beer of 14P. Taste great just the heavy aroma.

I note from the Whitelabs website that someone has come across this before however Whitelabs indicate the yeast is not know for excess sulfer production.

As I mainly brew with english style ales I'm not sure if this sulfer level is considered low compared to say a german wheat beer yeast.

Anyone come across this?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back