My first yeast starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
You dont need a yeast forge

You just need to understand the basics
Why not? They are a bloody handy device, I can run starters in the shed in Vic winter at any temperature I want with these things

I know I don't need a yeast forge, but i also know that I will get a better result with it than without.

My work hours, lack of space, a toddler and general laziness would prevent me getting a great outcome if I had to rely on shaking the starter and no heat.

Dunno, Stu... sure you don't need it, but you do need the appropriate temps to get a healthy starter.

If I had a yeast forge, I wouldn't have to wait for my fermenting fridge to be empty in order to build up a starter for the next batch... I've done the stc controller heat mat in an early before, but it's a lot of mucking around.

Oh yeah, it's only going to get up to 10° here today.

mofox1 said:
Dunno, Stu... sure you don't need it, but you do need the appropriate temps to get a healthy starter.

If I had a yeast forge, I wouldn't have to wait for my fermenting fridge to be empty in order to build up a starter for the next batch... I've done the stc controller heat mat in an early before, but it's a lot of mucking around.

Oh yeah, it's only going to get up to 10° here today.
The point on the temp control resonates for me also. With the YF I can have it happily spinning away on a corner bench whenever I like (for example last night when I did my second starter) rather than having to juggle space in one of my fermentation fridges which are currently occupied by a Celtic Red, an APA and an American Brown all bubbling away as well as assorted bottled beers.

Ambient temp in the house gets down around 10 overnight here.

Judanero said:
That's going from a smack pack/vial, when using washed slurry it's still ~ 500 mL of yeast (assuming thin slurry, high non yeast an depending on OG) so to get to that you need a large starter!

I checked out brewers friend, couldn't find the Troester- only White and Braukaiser methods, both indicate you would definitely be under pitching using the steps you outlined (assuming 1.020/5 P for starter wort).
Not sure about brewers friend program, but the website does have troester (braukaiser - stirplate) option:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Home brew dad calculator is based from kai's findings also. It has an 'overbuild' option for harvesting as well:

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Certainly the braukaiser options offer the possibility of a much smaller pitch, as to whether this is more accurate or not who knows really. My general thoughts are it is much easier to under than overpitch. Generally I would say best just pick one method and stick with it assuming you are happy with the beers it produces.

Do you guys pour the whole starter in the wort or chill and separate?

A.B. said:
Chill, decant then let rise to roughly pitching temp, then throw in.

A.B. said:
It depends.

If the starter size is less than or equal to 5% of your batch size, I pitch the whole lot at high krausen.

If it's greater than 5% of the size, I chill and decant.

As I'm usually brewing more than one beer in a day with different yeasts I tend to do my starters during the week, chill and decant most of the wort, then keep in the fridge for a few days until the weekend when I brew, pour off the remaining liquid, yeast straight into the fermenter.

This week I've just harvested 100B cells to go into the fridge for next time and 290ish B cells for my Dano's Hop Hog of WY1056 American Ale. It will sit in the fridge until I pitch on sat/sun.

Tonight I'm doing a second starter of WY1084 Irish Ale for my Celtic red (same deal pull off 100B cells for the fridge for next time and 290ish B cells for the beer).

Saturday morning I'll start another one of WY1968 London ESB, harvest off 100B again and pitch the remaining straight in on Sunday afternoon.

I've come a long way since my first one several weeks ago.

Fast forward a couple of months and my latest yeast starter throws me a new learning opportunity.

Add a small amount of yeast nutrient as I usually do during a steady boil. BOOM! Wort volcano.

It spat about half a litre out the top before you could say "holy shit I've got a problem here!". Sigh, more mess to clean in SWMBO's kitchen and I still have to top up the starter and get it boiling again.

Perhaps I dropped the full amount of yeast nutrient in too fast, might add it pre-boil from now on.

I did the same thing a couple of starters ago

Brain fart thinking 'I forgot to throw in the yeast nutrient, I'll just throw it in now', not thinking that chucking a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient in added about 1000 nucleation points for that almost boiling wort to quickly release some of its energy ;)

SBOB said:
I did the same thing a couple of starters ago

Brain fart thinking 'I forgot to throw in the yeast nutrient, I'll just throw it in now', not thinking that chucking a 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient in added about 1000 nucleation points for that almost boiling wort to quickly release some of its energy ;)
I knew I wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe on this one.

The more I brew, the more I see that Gordon Strong was right in his writings, that brewing can be viewed as a system with many control points. The control points can be very simple, like when/how to add yeast nutrient to a starter, but forgetting about one or cutting a corner can lead to problems that are hard or impossible to rectify later in the process.

Edit: When I first read that stuff by Gordon Strong, I felt he was looking at brewing from an overcomplcated perspective. However, as my process has developed and advanced, I've seen that there's a lot more involved than first glance to make top quality beer.

Latest posts

Back