My Spec Grain Has Weavils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you get weevils?
Do they have to be brought into your brewery in infested grain or can they just show up out of nowhere?
I've heard pumping your grain sacks with CO2 will kill them if you happen to see them before plague no*s ruin the lot.
Daz

Moths can fly, they land, lay eggs and ruin your shit.

Best way to kill them and the eggs is to stick your grains (or food etc) into a freezer and leave it there overnight. Lot cheaper than C02.

Moths can fly, they land, lay eggs and ruin your shit.

Best way to kill them and the eggs is to stick your grains (or food etc) into a freezer and leave it there overnight. Lot cheaper than C02.

Moths Ay?
Would never of guessed. :icon_cheers:
Daz

i thought they were weavils :huh:

Weavils are a small bug...

That said, just chucked an unopened packet of flour after constantly finding bloody moths in the pantry...packet was riddled with small caterpillars!

Wit enough weavils in the mash you won't have to do a protein rest

QldKev

Lots of types of weevils around, most common is probably 'Rust red".

They are a problem in the grain storage industry, and mostly controlled by fumigation these days, most of the old sprays we used to use in my CBH Pest Control days are now banned (makes you feel great after you've handled so much of it) :(

A few in your malt wont matter,

not sure how they go with malted grain, if its more / less or same attraction for weevils ?

Freezing for a day or 2 is probably the best removal option as mentioned earlier.

Bay leaves are the best way to stop weavils getting into stored grain. I keep crushed bay leaves open in the pantry at the corner of each shelf. It will stop them getting into grain or transferring from a bag of already infected grain to other bags. People have already suggested how to kill weavils once they are in.

Moths Ay?
Would never of guessed. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I could be wrong, but I don't think it would help to freeze them, especially for a short time.
When dealing with fly- tying materials, we freeze and then have to microwave them. I would also have to wash and bleach for a bit,and then dry before the freeze. Maybe not the best to do with grains, but it isn't enough.

Would it help lo leave pine shavings or something similar around the grain(but not in obviously) to keep them away?

R

the Ex Quarantine Officer coming out in me is the grain imported or locally produced and is the supplier the same

If it's imported report it to your local DPI or AQIS
if its local contact the seller and manufacturer so either one or both of them can clean up there act.

Weavils are a small bug...

Kinda. Wevils are actually Coleoptera (beetles), bugs are Hemiptera. Cicadas and Aphids are bugs.

Sorry if the entomology bugs you - it oozes out occasionally. I have a background/edumacation in critters.

Semantics and nomeclature really, but I'm in the "extra protein" camp. One of the best ways to keep wevils (moths etc) out of your grain is to store it in a room with flyscreens and a closed door. And don't spill grain around the closed bag.

Back