• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

My reverse offset smoker build

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Joined
5/9/13
Messages
6,895
Reaction score
3,188
Location
Mulgrave Victoria
Don't shoot the messenger, a scientific study carried out in Canada only confirmed what had been suspected for a few years now.
50% of males WILL get cancer, chances of getting cancer, drinking alcohol 4 times greater than someone who doesn't drink, tobacco smoking 8 times greater than someone who doesn't smoke, consuming smoked meat or any meat or fish cooked over an open flame 9 times greater. Still a great build Hairy Camel, as longer as the new owner uses it sparingly hopefully he will be fine. :)
 

Ducatiboy stu

Well-Known Member
Joined
2/4/05
Messages
14,269
Reaction score
3,830
wide eyed and legless said:
Don't shoot the messenger, a scientific study carried out in Canada only confirmed what had been suspected for a few years now.
50% of males WILL get cancer, chances of getting cancer, drinking alcohol 4 times greater than someone who doesn't drink, tobacco smoking 8 times greater than someone who doesn't smoke, consuming smoked meat or any meat or fish cooked over an open flame 9 times greater. Still a great build Hairy Camel, as longer as the new owner uses it sparingly hopefully he will be fine. :)
Well we all end up dying. I guess I will be enjoying some smoked BBQ meats and a few beers as I slowly die
 

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Joined
6/4/05
Messages
3,651
Reaction score
1,052
Much as I hate to derail the thread with science...

That 50% of males will get cancer is true... But misleading. Of that 50%, a large percentage of that will be non malignant skin carcenoma, another large percentage will be slow growing prostate cancer (the sort you die with not because of) and so on. While cancer s still a major cause of death, it's no where near 50%.

As for the smoked meat thing, the sort of gastric cancer that it makes you more likely to get is not that common. I don't have the figures handy but it's in the region of 1 in 100000. So a 10x risk is 10 in 100000 or 1 in 10000. Thems still pretty good odds. Even in heavy smokers, it's the other complications of smoking that kill the majority not lung cancer. Yes the incidence is much, much greater but it's still in the 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 range.

This is the difference between relative and absolute risk. Something the media, in search of a good scare story, doesn't point out.

BTW - Awesome smoker. It must have been a pretty great keg system to make you part with it.
 

Hairy camel

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/1/16
Messages
65
Reaction score
37
All good guys the last thing I need to worry about is cancer
I work with asbestos and treated timber
 

Ducatiboy stu

Well-Known Member
Joined
2/4/05
Messages
14,269
Reaction score
3,830
Hairy camel said:
All good guys the last thing I need to worry about is cancer
I work with asbestos and treated timber
You will be right, Of you dont get cancer from either of those 2 , then you never will :lol:
 

Matplat

Well-Known Member
Joined
15/1/15
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
450
Did you even get to use it once before you parted ways???

Not sure I could put all that effort in and not even have a go once.... Looked bloody awesome!
 

Hairy camel

Well-Known Member
Joined
12/1/16
Messages
65
Reaction score
37
Matplat said:
Did you even get to use it once before you parted ways???

Not sure I could put all that effort in and not even have a go once.... Looked bloody awesome!
No he made a offer while it was being built....I'm going to start another one this weekend
I know what mistakes I made and this one will be a lot better
 

fraser_john

Go Pies
Joined
17/1/06
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
374
Location
Victoria
Hairy camel said:
No he made a offer while it was being built....I'm going to start another one this weekend
I know what mistakes I made and this one will be a lot better
Create a new thread for the new build..... that way I won't have to dig through posts to avoid mistakes ......
 

bjbear77

Active Member
Joined
20/8/11
Messages
44
Reaction score
18
Thank God. I felt ripped off following this thread and not seeing the money (cooked food) shot
 

Latest posts

Top